Do you have a comforter or duvet on your bed?

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
General reply in response to the conversation about linen:

Linen is great and cool. I love wearing linen when it's very hot. And yes it's often very expensive.

Suggestion from a seamstress and luxury fabric junkie: If you live in the US or Canada, I suggest stalking fabricmartfabrics.com (I'm not associated with them in any way except having spent way too much money there) for sales on upholstery-width 100% linen. You'd still need to sew two pieces of it together in a single seam to get a large-sized bedsheet, but it would cost you considerably less than buying a linen sheet if you get it on sale, and they have some really amazing sales on that website sometimes. (Did I mention I spent way too much money there when I lived in the US? It's just because I couldn't resist saving so much money!) I have huge reams of 100% cotton stripes I bought on a ridiculous sale for $6/yard or something like that. Now I have lovely 100% linen striped drapes.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
General reply in response to the conversation about linen:

Linen is great and cool. I love wearing linen when it's very hot. And yes it's often very expensive.

Suggestion from a seamstress and luxury fabric junkie: If you live in the US or Canada, I suggest stalking fabricmartfabrics.com (I'm not associated with them in any way except having spent way too much money there) for sales on upholstery-width 100% linen. You'd still need to sew two pieces of it together in a single seam to get a large-sized bedsheet, but it would cost you considerably less than buying a linen sheet if you get it on sale, and they have some really amazing sales on that website sometimes. (Did I mention I spent way too much money there when I lived in the US? It's just because I couldn't resist saving so much money!) I have huge reams of 100% cotton stripes I bought on a ridiculous sale for $6/yard or something like that. Now I have lovely 100% linen striped drapes.
Doesn't linen clothing need ironing?

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a comforter. It's cheaper and the thought of having to put the duvet into the cover and have it turn out smooth and nice looking is beyond my level of talent. 

I might consider a duvet later when I'm better off financially, but for right now, it's a comforter for me. (I usually kick it off and sleep with just the sheet anyway. Or when I'm really bad, I just sleep on the comforter with a light blanket.

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Duvets and comforters are essentially exactly the same thing except a duvet doesn't have a decorative outer cover. They run in the same price ranges for the same reasons - you can get goose down comforters and duvets that are expensive, "down alternative" that are mid-range, or polyfill of various qualities that are cheapest depending on the quality. Duvets are not more expensive on average for the same quality. Maybe in places where duvets are uncommon you only see high-end duvets, and where comforters are uncommon you only see high-end comforters. I don't know of anywhere I could get a cheap comforter except for the internet, but I can walk down the block and buy a 20 buck duvet, or get one for 5 at a flea market. I assume the opposite is true where duvets are not the norm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Neither. I have a microfiber blanket on the bed and I love it. It's lightweight, soft, warm, and easy to wash.
I have a microfiber blanket, plus a comforter.  I tend to be always cold, so just a blanket would never be enough.  

I have a comforter. It's cheaper and the thought of having to put the duvet into the cover and have it turn out smooth and nice looking is beyond my level of talent. 

I might consider a duvet later when I'm better off financially, but for right now, it's a comforter for me. (I usually kick it off and sleep with just the sheet anyway. Or when I'm really bad, I just sleep on the comforter with a light blanket.
My reasoning for considering the duvet is that for cleaning, I'd just have to wash the cover, since the "dirt" would be mostly cat fur. 

Duvets and comforters are essentially exactly the same thing except a duvet doesn't have a decorative outer cover. They run in the same price ranges for the same reasons - you can get goose down comforters and duvets that are expensive, "down alternative" that are mid-range, or polyfill of various qualities that are cheapest depending on the quality. Duvets are not more expensive on average for the same quality. Maybe in places where duvets are uncommon you only see high-end duvets, and where comforters are uncommon you only see high-end comforters. I don't know of anywhere I could get a cheap comforter except for the internet, but I can walk down the block and buy a 20 buck duvet, or get one for 5 at a flea market. I assume the opposite is true where duvets are not the norm.
They are basically the same, but comforters are big and bulky and hard to clean, where I'm thinking the duvet cover would be easier to through in the washer.  And also thin enough that I could have a couple to mix them up for variety.

I was out looking at duvets yesterday and found a "down alternative" one at Marshalls for $79. I didn't buy it.  Anyone know if that's a good price?

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My reasoning for considering the duvet is that for cleaning, I'd just have to wash the cover, since the "dirt" would be mostly cat fur. :lol3:

They are basically the same, but comforters are big and bulky and hard to clean, where I'm thinking the duvet cover would be easier to through in the washer.  And also thin enough that I could have a couple to mix them up for variety.

I was out looking at duvets yesterday and found a "down alternative" one at Marshalls for $79. I didn't buy it.  Anyone know if that's a good price?
Oh yeah, if you're often cleaning the *top* of your bed covering because of cat hair, a duvet and covers would make your life extremely easy. A duvet cover is certainly easier to put through the washer than an entire comforter/duvet. It's a sack-shaped sheet, and is as easy to launder as a sheet, whereas the duvet (the inside) is as easy/hard to launder as a comforter.

Whether you think $80 is a good price is pretty dependant on your price range. Expect to pay the same for a duvet as for a comforter. If you think $80 is a good price for a down-alternative comforter, then it is also for a duvet, and if not, not. To me personally that would be a high-end one. Here's one on Amazon for $31 ($50 for the king; you didn't specify size). Also you can always find a cheap patterned comforter if that's easier in your area and put duvet covers on it. Just check the exact dimensions to make sure it's the right size. Duvets are always a standard size, like fitted sheets, whereas IIRC comforters might be a little larger for cosmetic reasons?

http://amazon.com./gp/aw/d/B00VGR4V...lternative&dpPl=1&dpID=41gKfaYIr7L&ref=plSrch

Edit: whoops, forgot the link but not sure if links to Amazon are actually allowed.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@Lonelocust   thanks for the link.  I always forget to check for these things online.  I'd prefer to buy in-store, so I can get a look at it, but Amazon will give me a chance to read reviews.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My duvet is very pretty without its pretty cover which is reasonably easy to get on, depending on who you are lol I get lost putting it in but eventually it's in and all nice and smooth.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Not having grown up with duvets, I had a hard time making up the bed till my husband, who's used them all his life, showed me the easiest way to put on the covers. Turn the cover inside out, put both arms inside, pinch the corners of the short side of the duvet through the cover, then flip it on. Grab two corners and shake the covered duvet in the morning to prevent bunching.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not having grown up with duvets, I had a hard time making up the bed till my husband, who's used them all his life, showed me the easiest way to put on the covers. Turn the cover inside out, put both arms inside, pinch the corners of the short side of the duvet through the cover, then flip it on. Grab two corners and shake the covered duvet in the morning to prevent bunching.
Thanks for the tip.  I will try to remember that for when I eventually get my duvet.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I want a duvet and cover.  Now just have to decide on the filling I want for the duvet.  And, of course, find a cover I like. 

I didn't, obviously, grow up with duvets and covers either. In fact, I thought they were a new thing, as it's only been the past few years that I've been hearing about them all the time.