Do you have a budget?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a budget, you might say. Hubby gets paid twice a month, and I get pay day once a month (generally around the 28th/29th) He gets paid 15 and 30th from one job, and every other Friday from his other job.  We allocate what our "checks" cover. My check covers the majority of the bills (Water, gas, electric, phone, cable, DirectTV, Netflix and Groceries). His checks cover water and rent- (because they require cash or money order), and his check also covers our cleaning lady

When one of our checks comes in, we budget that check. It is written out, okay "What needs to come out of this check?"
We set aside that money (as an example, we set aside 2 weeks pay for our housekeeper), we get the cash for water/rent if needed etc. Once the essential stuff comes out , we decide if there is anything non essential we need. Things like, new towels etc would fall under this category. Then we each get our allowance, and the rest goes in savings.

We are currently working on Dave Ramsey's "7 Baby Steps" and the first is to save up $1000 for emergencies, and we are adding $1000 for pet emergencies, hoping we will never need it. Routine vet visits, shots, and so forth come out of our regular checks- not savings. The cat emergency savings is for things like, emergency vet visits (our ER Vet charges $200 a visit!) , emergency surgeries, etc.
I also tend to get 4 large disbursements a year, leftover from school money (grants & loans). This is when we plan huge purchases like a new car, or a new mattress if needed. Coming up end of Feb the big expenses are a new car( obviously the wreck got rid of ours ) ;) and we need a new mattress. We also if we have enough, plan to purchase tickets to visit his family in the UK. The refund comes end of Oct, Nov, Feb and March.If I take summer classes, it also comes end of July

Clothing tends to be budgeted twice a year in the Spring and Fall school money I get refunded (or tax return). And of course we always try to get baby girl SOMETHING when we have a little extra in LOL. Last time was a 7 foot cat condo..........

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what i wrote before except that I don't budget.
All my bills are paid automatically by the bank. My plastics are also paid automatically by the bank on the 2nd of each month. I check my account about 2 weeks into the month to see what's cooking and if I need to take out of my savings.I did this month but shouldn't have to for some time barring accidents.I spend on the cats food etc about $150 a month.
That's my budget if you can call it one.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No budget for me either, however we're very careful with money. If the house needs maintenance, we "shop around" for quotes before we buy into a company/do the reno. We try to stick to a moto of, "Do we need it, or just want it?!" This seems to work for us. We do treat ourselves once and awhile though :) If we're planning a trip or car work/home renos, we save up, and put some extra money aside.

We do have a cat food budget which I do stick to, as it can be tempting to spend more on the expensive brands :) Love my bundle of fur!