Do you guys ever do head checks before you leave?

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I do it all the time. Before I go to sleep, when I get up, etc. I think my family thinks I'm nuts but I dont care. Just want to make sure they are ok.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always do a head count when I come home. And I freak out if I can't find somebody right away.
Usually Peaches and Jake meet me at the door. Hallie peeks out of her hiding place (or so she thinks it's a hiding place).

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Thanks Squirt.....I was wondering the same thing......perhaps "darling husband"?
Nah.. Maybe it means "domesticated hulk?"
I can't recall what it really stands for though.
Sorry I couldn't help out with that!

I normally do head checks when I leave home and when I get home-I can get pretty compulsive about that. I have had 3 episodes of cats disappearing and me freaking out for a few hours before finding them.

In my old basement apt, there are 2 openings in the walls (one for the electricity and another one for the water thingie) and both openings are covered with shutters but CLEVER and MISCHEIVOUS
Zebra knows how to open doors.

When I got home 1 sat from shopping, Zebra didn't greet me at the door and I was getting really hysterical after 2 hours of looking and not finding her. I KNEW she had to be inside somewhere cuz I'm the only person in my apt and I KNOW she was inside when I left. I went back to the electric area, looked in, looked down to the floor then when I looked up into the rafters and what did I see??
2 glowy eyes peering down from the rafters!!

She meowed pitifully and I realized she either was afraid to jump down or didn't know how to get down- it is pretty far to leap from the rafters to the floor and there isn't much space to move around in. I climbed up and after a few minutes of wriggling, stubbing myself, almost slipping, getting tangled up in the electricity wires, I managed to pull her out safely.

After that, I put a latch on that shutter so Zebra wouldn't open it again. I also pushed one of my couches against the other shutter (for water) so that won't be opened either.

WELLLLLL, about 2 months later, I came home and noticed the couch had been moved a bit and the shutter for the water was ajar. I KNEW immediately that Zebra was in there!! After a few minutes of double checking and counting cats, I KNEW BOTH Pepper and Zebra were missing! I looked up in there but there weren't any sign of them.
I looked all over in the apt for them but there were no sign of them. I stormed up to my landlord's door (we had agreed that he would notify me before he came into my apt so I was already pissed that he came in without informing me). I asked him COLDLY if he had been in my apt and he said, "Oh, yeah, I needed to fiddle with the water. Forgot to page u. Sorry.." I said, "WELL, TWO of my cats are missing! I'm pretty sure they are up there in the rafters." He didn't believe that then he finally said, "Oh, let them come out in their own time. Don't worry. I'm sure they're fine whereever they are."
I couldn't believe he had the gall to say that! After about an hour of crying, calling, pacing, praying, I finally saw these two DARN STINKERS peering down at me. I had to climb up there, grab both and bring them down safely before I could relax and have a nervous breakdown!

The third episode happened RECENTLY!!

Last Sunday, I forgot to do a head count before I left to go to church (which is unusual for me). I got home and cuddled a bit with the boys and Zebra before going into my bedroom to change into my "bum" clothes and noticed that there were some hangers sticking out from my closet door which was ajar a bit.
I started to push the closet door open and Peppy immediately ran out. She has been trapped in there for over 3 hours!
I felt so bad! I hunted her down, gave her some cuddling and apologized for that then I went to clean my closet.

While she was in there, she managed to get most of my clothes off the hangers and shelf onto the floor & 1 folded blanket on top of the shelf to the floor but luckily, that's all and most importantly, Pepper is okay!

Now I am very paranoid and do headcounts at least twice before I leave home.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Owning outdoor/indoor cats headcounting is a necessity. If my girls don't respond when I call them, I'm off searching until they are found. Everytime this no response happens, they are usually around the corner and were too lazy to show themselves or most probably teasing me again.

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Ok time out for just one sec. I am going to risk looking like a real dummy here but what does DH stand for? I see people using it all the time.... I assume spouse, but what exactly?
I think it means Dear Husband, but any of the other suggestions (as well as others left unsaid
could apply.)

Peace!
mrsd

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Always!. Rosie and Sophie stay in the spare room while im at work because of the alarm system, but they seem to know when i'm ready to leave so the normally follow me upstairs, but i always make sure their in the room before closing their door.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only have two, but with my bad memory, I can never seem to remember where they are: inside or out, out on the deck or in the garage, in a closet, in the furnace room, in the storage room, etc. They often love going in some of those places, and I leave the door open for them when they do, but sometimes I forget and close the wrong door. So yes, before I leave and before I go to bed, I check, especially after accidentally leaving Red Cat in the garage overnight without water or a litterbox and after leaving Purdy out on the second floor deck so long that he escaped down the post and was outside in late evening. We have coyotes in the area, and though I allow my two outside in the daytime, I don't want the added risk of having them out at night.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do a head count everytime I leave the apartment. I learned my lesson the hard way...I came home from work and Gandalf came running to greet me but no Samwise which was very strange. I started calling for him and I could hear him crying and finally opened one the closet doors and out he comes. Poor little guy had been stuck in the closet all day. He ran straight to the food bowl and water dish and I had a lovely mess to clean up. I felt so bad though and he was spoiled the rest of the evening.

superkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do headcounts here too, I always check before I leave, and they're very good about coming when I call them, if I don't see them. They always come to greet me at the door too, when I get back.