do you give your indoor cats yearly shots

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get every 3 years, apart from Scully who got a booster before going to a different vet for tests when he was sick last year and will go in with the kitties again in January.

They still all go in for a yearly check up and Scully gets a senior panel done

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I follow new protocol with my indoor cats (and dogs) also...every 3 years. Rabies is every 3 too.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

I seem to be the minority here, and I"m not FULLY decided as I just got mine, but they are indoor only, I don't foster and I have very little contact with other animals so I am not going to get them vaccinated, I don't believe in un-necessary vaccinations, in cats or otherwise. (people etc.) And it has nothing to do with not going to the vet as anyone who knows my history can attest.
I feel the same way. I stopped doing the yearly vaccs after Jiggy and Gette turned one year old and had a complete set. Sophia just turned a year old,but isn't due for her yearly vaccs until January, and I will have her vaccinated, but it will be the last time. Mine are strictly indoors, but do go out in the screened patio. I don't think there's a need for them to be vaccinated. Out here in Florida, the vets try to talk you into vaccinating them TWICE a year, which I think is ridiculous.
I don't board them, either. I have a catsitter.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine will be getting their rabies shots as required by law, but after Lucy gets her boosters, I'm not doing any more vaccinations (except rabies). I'm not even 100% convinced she needs the boosters. Connie has been vaccinated multiple times for everything. Lucy may or may not have been vaccinated prior to her time at the shelter, so I'll get her boosters. I don't get vaccinated every year, or every three years, and I don't believe cats need frequent vaccinations to have lifelong immunity, either.

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JenC511

Mine will be getting their rabies shots as required by law, but after Lucy gets her boosters, I'm not doing any more vaccinations (except rabies). I'm not even 100% convinced she needs the boosters. Connie has been vaccinated multiple times for everything. Lucy may or may not have been vaccinated prior to her time at the shelter, so I'll get her boosters. I don't get vaccinated every year, or every three years, and I don't believe cats need frequent vaccinations to have lifelong immunity, either.
I agree with you and vets are finally doing studies in universities that proves this. That annuals may be doing more harm than good....that's good enough for me to stop vaccinating so much!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way will my indoor kitty get shots yearly, it does more harm than good. And this decision is supported & suggested by my vets. We still do a yearly check-up, but not yearly shots.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but Seamus got shots when he went to the vet for his neutering because he had to stay the day. I don't think I'll be vaccinating every year... I may just stick to the "if he needs to be boarded at the vet" requirement for vaccines as I don't ever plan on letting him out. The one thing I may keep up with is the rabies, but I have a year to research that. I just don't see the necessity. Even when I have kids someday I'll debate the necessity of some vaccines, because even with humans they are beginning to think it could contribute to sudden rise of autism and other disorders that were rare when I was little, which wasn't all that long ago.

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by erinca7821

I'm no expert, but Seamus got shots when he went to the vet for his neutering because he had to stay the day. I don't think I'll be vaccinating every year... I may just stick to the "if he needs to be boarded at the vet" requirement for vaccines as I don't ever plan on letting him out. The one thing I may keep up with is the rabies, but I have a year to research that. I just don't see the necessity. Even when I have kids someday I'll debate the necessity of some vaccines, because even with humans they are beginning to think it could contribute to sudden rise of autism and other disorders that were rare when I was little, which wasn't all that long ago.
You know why? because the preservative in vaccines is Thimerosol (which is banned in other countries) and Thimerosol contains mercury. I won't even get the flu shot because of Thimerosol. I can't voluntarily inject mercury into myself or my animals. Only if I absolutely HAVE to.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by erinca7821

Even when I have kids someday I'll debate the necessity of some vaccines, because even with humans they are beginning to think it could contribute to sudden rise of autism and other disorders that were rare when I was little, which wasn't all that long ago.
Two relatives of mine both have autistic (sp?) sons, they really think it was from vacinations. Their other sons are ok.

I am giving my indoor cats a BIG rest from vacinations.