Do you give your cats canned tuna or salmon?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I think Jamie would kill for tuna. He can be out on the upstairs balcony, and when I pierce the can with the can opener (not an electric one), he's downstairs begging within 30 seconds. I give him water-packed tuna (for humans) as a holiday/birthday treat, or when I want to worm him. I just put the gel (Flubenol) on the tuna.
Have you tried the tuna for cats? I saw it at the petstore the other day. It just has tuna, water and vitamin E suppliments in it. I was thinking of getting Chester a can for his first birthday next week.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys get tuna very rarely. About once or twice a year is about it, I don't like tuna so I don't keep it in the apartment.

That being said, they do get a variety of meats because I'm a sucker. Never very much at a time but I have a hard time turning them down. They both get steamed cat fish on occasion, hamburger that's been fried and drained without seasoning, and grilled chicken. I figure it can't be any worse for them than some of the treats out on the market. They also both love cottage cheese, thankfully neither of them seem to be lactose intolerant.

And Gandalf is my sweets kitty, it's his favorite thing to try and drink or eat anything that's sweet. Diet Coke or Tea isn't for kitties is said a lot around my house, the little stinker.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Have you tried the tuna for cats? I saw it at the petstore the other day. It just has tuna, water and vitamin E suppliments in it. I was thinking of getting Chester a can for his first birthday next week.
Yes, I have (Atlantic and Pacific varieties). He eats it, but isn't "thrilled" about it, as he is about "tuna for humans", I suppose because the "cat kind" isn't salted. I figure a half can of tuna every three or four months isn't going to hurt him, so I treat him to "human tuna in water" once in a while. We had one cat who reached the ripe old age of 23, and he enjoyed oil-packed tuna once a week.