Do you "free feed" your cats?

starlie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried free feeding and I ended up with overweight cats. I switched to scheduled feedings and now they're at a healthy weight. I feed them dry food in the morning and canned at night, and a little treat or two during the day/afternoon.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Buffy and Willow are both free-fed. They're still skinny little things, but I'm sure they'll be fat little butterballs by the time they turn 15. Then they'll get to suffer with scheduled feedings, along with their arthritis (oh, the inhumanity! lol)

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I free-feed both of my cats. I feed them twice a day though by putting out a portion in the morning and evening. If I didn't do that, they would eat themselves silly and eat more than they really need.

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dax gets two meals a day - dry in the morning and wet at night. She tends to *snack* at her dry food anyway, never really eating more than a few mouthfulls at a time - she rations it so that its only just gobbled up as she gets a new handful the next morning!

I free fed her as a kitten - I always made sure there was plenty for her to eat all day but now I give her a set serve size since she is over a year old and already beginning to look ever so slightly *meaty*

kaskacats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I free feed mine, not really any set amount, just fill the bowl when I'm told, lol. They also get canned in the evening. And they're still just skinny little things, especially Fen.

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another free-feeder here... but his food is measured out to a specific quantity each morning when the bowl is filled. He gets about a cup and 1/2 of dry food and fresh water every morning, and an occassional treat or 2 tablespoons of cat milk.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I free fed Limerick b/c my schedule varyies from day to day. He does get one half cup at around 10pm and one cup in the morning.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i free-feed kibble, & give 1/2 8oz. can every evening, shared 2-3 ways, depending on if Pixel wants any. she doesn't always want the wet food.

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always free feed & my crew shares a can of wet food between the 6 of them as a treat.

They get to eat as much dry food as they want & none of them are overweight. In fact a couple of them are on the thin side... I would like them to put on a little more weight.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are on a schedule. They get primarily wet food (with just a little dry to help clean their teeth). If I free fed them Tailer would end up eating everybody's food.

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i sorta free feed.... i fill her bowl up in the morning and usually half way through the day... even if it is empty i dont fill it up more than twice a day, cuz she will eat and eat and eat

when the new furbaby gets here, i may have to change the way i feed them, i dont know, we'll see

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I free feed my cat on a schedule I guess. He gets enough to fill his bowl in the morning and I check at night to make sure he still has some.

My little stray colony gets fed twice a day. I put out enough in the morning so that if I don't get home until late, they're already covered. I don't put much out at night and never after dark because we have raccoons and possums.

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chose other b/c I am another who free feeds kibble but they eat wet every evening. I have to watch that Baker can eat whenever he would like otherwise his weight drops. (Everything he eats is Vet supervised)

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I free feed our four Pro Plan Beef and rice all day every day, and split a can of Pro Plan wet food between three of them (isis will not eat wet food, or human food, just the Beef and Rice dry food) in the mornings.

kimba67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've always free-fed our cats dry cat food, none of them have ever had weight issues. Our dogs, on the other hand get one meal a day (in the morning) and it's always measured out precisely according to the guidelines of the manufacturer.

I love both species, but kitties are so much easier to keep.

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I free feed, although I really shouldn't, because my older cat is a bit overweight for the breed. My younger cat needs it though because he's a tad on the thin side, simply because he's so active. So, it's a dilemma, but I just don't think they'd go for being separated during feeding times at this point, since they've adjusted to their routine free feeding.

catlover2004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't free feed the cats with dogs in the house (the dogs LOVE cat food if they are given a chance to get to it!). Angel, the stray momma cat, gets her bowl filled up every time it is empty because she is nursing. But she is in an area away from the dogs.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I free feed dry. They have their wet food AM & PM.
I added a quote from you because I wanted to tell you that you siggy is delightful. I love it.

Originally Posted by cagnes

I always free feed & my crew shares a can of wet food between the 6 of them as a treat.

They get to eat as much dry food as they want & none of them are overweight. In fact a couple of them are on the thin side... I would like them to put on a little more weight.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I free feed dry to the house cats. When I had a feral foster I did set feedings so she would have to be near me to eat, but once she tamed up I went back to free feeding. I don't have a regular enough schedule to feed at set times, and I think it is hard on animals to eat at a different time every day.

Our dog is free-fed, too, but she only eats in the evening. Her food is shut away from the cats in the laundry room, so she doesn't really have access, but even when she does she won't eat until after we have dinner. She will eat treats or people food whenever offered!

The cat food is kept where she can't get at it, or I'm sure she would chow down!

The ferals are fed only in the evening, and we try to give just what they can finish so the opposums don't get at it. And #1 barn cat Will gets fed whenever he asks. He has learned that when I'm using the grill, good things are cooking! So because he is so cute (and so spoiled) he eats lots of people food! But I have to be careful it is just what he can finish, or leftovers just become something to fight over.