Do You Ever Keep Quiet When You Feel Like You Should Say Something?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a small, privately owned clinic in a very small town. There has always been just two vets on staff there. The head vet has been in practice there for about 25-30 years, if not longer. Other vets have come and gone.
I wonder if de clawing in so many areas has become such a normal thing that vets just rattle it off like it's no different than a spay, or a new pet wellness visit. I wish more vets would tell their clients (or at least have a hand out sheet) on potential problems that can come from this surgery before just offering it or doing it without any warning.
Vets need to band as one and get their sh*t together IMO. If one vet won't de claw, the next vet will (and take the money). If they all adopted the same stance of education first, we would see a huge drop.
I can safely say in a house of 9 cats, all with their claws, the only furniture that has suffered is the wicker stuff in the sun room. But that was purchased FOR the cats, and it's 12 years old. I've had more stuff accidentally destroyed by little kids than I have by cats, and I wouldn't get angry at any of them for it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy! Very tough situation for you. I can honestly say that I often keep my mouth shut about myself but never when it comes to those who cannot speak for themselves. I raised a handicapped child and that taught me that sometimes I must use all my courage to speak out. It isn’t easy. I try to do it in an educational format though.
As 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 pointed out, people don’t always take helpful suggestions well.
Declawing is finally being viewed as horrible abuse. It is still taking time to be recognized, but with education I hope it will be outlawed everywhere very quickly. Unless the cat has some medical necessity, it is inhumane.
I actually had this very discussion in my vets office. I also live in a small town and am dependent on the local vet. I asked the vet if they declaw. Yes! :argh:
I have been going there since they opened their doors. I was biting my tongue in some ways but immediately started on the why do you and why you should not conversation. The demand and the money brought in are the reasons it is done and I know that. I made a point of bringing this up at each visit and continuing the conversation into the waiting room. Never with the anger I felt but with facts. The other people in the waiting area heard. Some asked questions. Fortunately my vet did not evict me. Lol I suggested they offer alternatives such as claw covers to sell there. I began leaving fact sheets in the waiting area. It took time but my vet now claims they no longer do this surgery. I can’t prove it either way but I still leave fact sheets. Maybe they toss them after I leave? Who knows, but I’m trying. I have assisted in many adoptions and any time I find someone who has had a declawed cat, I use that as an opportunity to educate. I start with,” Did you try claw covers? Scratching posts? How did that work out?” I have had good luck with opening a conversation that way. I find most people just don’t know the facts. Maybe I’ll get scratched by a human for my efforts one day. :dunno: So far, so good.
I think it’s great that you were paying attention and questioned the whole thing in your mind! Bravo! If more people question these things, the truth will come out!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have but it's hard when you don't know the person or how they will react, So don't be to hard on yourself.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always been a very vocal person, so yes, I will speak up, especially if it concerns a cat or a dog.

However, I was not in that situation, and have not experienced a similar one. Maybe the other possible scenario for me upon hearing that is be left speechless while my mouth hangs shockingly open. Then after several seconds of disbelief I would probably run from that clinic as far away as I can.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh.....I have no problem speaking up, it has gotten me into trouble more then once. I don't believe I have never spoken up when it comes to the abuse of animals, I always fight for those with no voice. My opinion counts as much as theirs, and I'm sorry to say there is no shortage of ignorant people in this world.