Do you ever feel frumpy?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I miss the "Grunge" days when all you needed was a flannel shirt, T-shirt, jeans and Doc Martins. It was simple, thoughtless in the morning and now no longer fashionable.

Now these 3 inch heels and tight jeans and such just make me crazy.

And yes I do have frumpy days...usually when I wear oversized sweatshirts.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have more so over the last few years; since putting on my extra cushions! (
) I've always been more of a jeans type girl, but lately I'm more of a sweatpants girl! A shopping trip a few weeks ago really helped that though! Sometimes ya just gotta go make yourself up again!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Wow! You made that costume? Very nice! You don't look "a little overweight" at all, either. Very cool! Not to sidetrack, but have you made others? Making costumes is one of my favorite things!
Why, thank you! Yes, as a matter of fact, I have made a couple of others. One was just for Halloween, back when I was really tiny -- it was just a one-shoulder drape of palest green taffeta wrapped artistically around the midriff with silver braid, and a big pale-green-glittered crescent moon rising above my hair, which was all fluffed out and glittered. I was Astarte, the Phoenician goddess of fertility. I have no idea why.
Somewhere I have a picture of it... can't find it right now.

The other costume was for a science fiction convention (as was the Starfleet uniform). Unfortunately, I have no photos of it, and it vanished during a move years ago... but it was quite something:

I found a wonderful crepey-drapey light-grey fabric that had a soft silvery shimmer to it and made a gown that was shirred down the front to mid-thigh, then parted and draped around to a long, pointed train in the back. The hem of the train was lined with silver bugle beads. The gown's straps were covered by two flaring shoulderboards that were shiny silver underneath and white "ermine" on top -- they stuck out about three inches beyond my shoulders. The white fur also wrapped around the top of the gown, so I looked a little more built than I was.

Under the gown, I wore pantyhose with a silvery sheen and very high silver heels with shiny silver anklebands that matched my wristbands. My hair was all caught up inside a huge white fur turban (I had to affix that thing at home and drive all scrunched down in the car, because it made me over six feet tall!
). I did a sort of feathery-looking eye makeup in cool blues and greens and pearly white that looked almost like a mask around my eyes... glued a large clear teardrop-shaped crystal upside down to my forehead... put on long frosty white nails and iridescent white lipstick... and because glitter gel for your skin hadn't been invented yet, I rubbed handcream along strategically selected areas and applied plain old silver craft glitter to my skin! It stuck very nicely, and it looked remarkably like some sort of alien scales. (It also hurt like the dickens when I tried to scrub it off in the shower that night.
)

So I arrived at the convention hotel in this over-the-top getup, trailing glitter everywhere I walked, and when it was time for the contest, I did a queenly stroll down the runway... and won first place! It was such a thrill! And as part of the prize, I was invited to a party with all the scifi writers who had read from their work at the convention, and that was a real treat.

So... now that I've totally hijacked this thread, why don't you tell us about your costumes, SwampWitch?

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I always do...I look like crap alot of the time. I wasn't born with the womanly style instinct..I have no idea what matches or looks good on me. I think I should have been born a guy
Me too. I used to have my ex make sure what I was wearing looked good. He was a better girl than me!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

I've never thought clothes have an impact on men
Of course they do. If your wearing jeans and a t-shirt you get alot less looks from guys than if your wearing something more revealing or low cut. I definetely have noticed that.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I always do...I look like crap alot of the time. I wasn't born with the womanly style instinct..I have no idea what matches or looks good on me. I think I should have been born a guy
Must be a Natalie thing, huh? I'm a boy underneath. I can never match my clothes. I feel like I let an 8 year old dress me sometimes!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not really. the only time i feel frumpy is when i'm sick (because all i want to do is stay in bed and i could care less about anything else
) other than that i usually at least make a modest attempt to look decient. even jeans and a t-shirt can look cute if it's fitted right. nothing makes me feel better than a little mascarra and lip gloss. no matter how bad i feel/look- i ALWAYS feel better if i put some mascarra and lip gloss on
Now i will admit to parading around the house in my house shoes all the time but that's just me
(i have food problems, so they are the only things remotely comfy on my feet after i've been on them at work all day
)

now my hair...that's another story! i seriously need to learn how to do something cute with it. all i do is a ponytail, wear it down (it's layered), or put it 1/2 up or in a ballet bun. I seriously stink at doing cute little updos.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an odd dress sense, but its classy ive been told! Ive had to redo my mothers waldrobe because i was sick of her frumpy clothes that made her look like a grandma!