Do you eat from paper plates at home?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Either is running a dishwasher using way too much water and power

Yeah, yeah, what she said.

Seriously, I recycle as many of the used paper plates as I can, along with freezer food boxes and the plastic trays that frozen food comes in now.

I put out about 70% recyclable waste to 30% garbage, and at least 15-20% of that 30% is litterbox scoopings alone.

So just because someone use paper plates doesn't mean they are not environmentally conscious.

In fact, I try to buy Marcal products as often as possible because they used recycled materials to make their products. So there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Betsy said, I buy recycled plates and if they are not used for anything overly messy, I recycle them again. We put out 1 bag of 'garbage' a week compared to several boxes of recycling

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We use paper plates for easy things like sandwiches or burgers. Just seems like they SHOULD go on paper plates!

We use regular plates most of the time though.... paper plates just aren't strong enough!! LOL

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Either is running a dishwasher using way too much water and power
Don't use one of those either!
I would imagine you can get energy efficient dishwashers, and most people don't run them every day, I don't think.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just today, I saw a news story about the terrible drought in Australia (for those who may not have understood the comment Dragoriana made about saving cold water in a bucket to conserve -- they're suffering a crippling water shortage down there), and of course we've had some bad droughts here in Texas, too... though nothing on that scale (yet).

My point is that there are times and places when paper (NOT STYROFOAM, but readily biodegradable paper) plates are actually much better for the environment than using extra water to wash dishes. I always feed the kitties on the little six-inch paper plates, and I use the larger ones often for myself, as well.

But I haven't forgotten how to serve a nice meal on real china. So please don't sic your mom on me, lookinglass!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good dishwasher uses a far sight less water than handwashing... I have to handwash mine though. I have to say I try not to use any kind of dishes. Mainly because I'm lazy. Paper plates are expensive. Much more expensive than my settings my mom gave me.

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1. Why wont it let me vote? Says I am NOT allowed to vote? Am I in the time our chair or something haha?

2. Yes all the time...but I recycle them if at all possible. I have 3 children...a husband who works 6-7 days a week...and I keep several children at my home after school playing with my 3 so with so much traffic going/coming from the kitchen for snacks etc we NEED them around here.

I too do not use a dishwasher and hate spending all that time over the sink when I could be outside watching my children run and play...watching the cats wrestle and well just ANYTHING is better than washing dishes! If they arent in bad shape I will wash the paper plates off and put them back in the strainer it at all possible because it wont be 5 minutes before these kids decide they want something different.

I also use plastic forks/spoons...cups...etc as well...we have alot of family get togethers where it is always upwards of 20+ people so there is no way I could feed everyone on my slim selection of glass ware and fine china!