Do You Drink?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

No drinking for me. I saw the ravages of alcohol early in life with a drinking stepfather. I decided it was not for me.
My father died at the age of 48 with cirrhosis of the liver. This scared me so badly that I never had a drink until I was 27. I still drink at parties and festive occasions but that is all as I know my heredity could easily kill me.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Legal Limit

The UK legal limit for drivers is 80 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, often referred to as a BAC or blood-alcohol concentration. In US terms this would be expressed as 0.08%. This is alternatively expressed in terms of breath alcohol - 35 µg (microgrammes) per 100 ml (which is now the usual official measure in the UK), or alcohol in the urine - 107 mg per 100 ml.

Alcohol is normally measured in "units" of 10ml of alcohol. This is the amount of alcohol contained a a half-pint of beer of 3.5% ABV, a single 25ml pub measure of spirits, or a small 125ml glass of light table wine.

http://www.80mg.org.uk/guide.html

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My state just passed a new law. It's called the Leandra Law.

You get a DWI and you have to have a special device installed in your car that contains a breathalyzer. If the breathalyzer determines you aren't sober, you can't start your car. ALL cars that the convicted person drives has to have this installed. And it's you, the drunk driver, who pays for it.

In addition, if you are get a DWI with a child under 15 in the car, it's a felony offense.

The first part of Leandra's Law took effect in December, making it a felony for anyone to drive drunk with a child younger than 15 in their car.

In the first six months, there were 248 Leandra's Law arrests across New York State.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...#ixzz11VkcEaLj

I love this law.
I didn't learn to drive until I was 35, and by then was no longer drinking. However a couple of years ago my sister had champagne at Thanksgiving to toast her husband's brother and his fiance on their engagement. It was delicious, though I only had one glass. I didn't realize I had a little buzz until I started driving home. And that was two hours after dinner!

I had almost a two hour drive ahead of me and was terrified the whole drive home. Not of being stopped. Simply of my driving. I had to go home though. Tolly has to have his medicine on time.

Boy oh boy, how on earth does anyone drive drunk, LOL!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Boy oh boy, how on earth does anyone drive drunk, LOL!
Not very well if the amount of people getting DUIs is any indication.

I'd guess that more than half the people I went to school with have had at least one DUI by now. My BIL has even had one, but thankfully he learned his lesson - 6 months without his license, costs, and embarrassment have taught him to not drink and drive. It's too bad others don't learn so quickly.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Not very well if the amount of people getting DUIs is any indication.
A lot of times it's pure luck on the part of the cop, that the get that DUI. I was stopped the other day, the trooper said I went through a four way stop. Now I know darn well I didn't go through that stop, I always stop there and look, before moving again.

I remembered distinctly that time because I saw a pick up coming up the hill to the intersection to my left, after I stopped. If I hadn't stopped I wouldn't have seen it because there's a rise there, and a blind spot.

It was the end of the month and he was looking for tickets. As he came up to my car I saw him eyeballing my tires and my inspection sticker and my registration sticker.

When he told me why he pulled me over I argued with him. I know I stopped. I saw the oncoming truck crest the rise. Well after a few minutes of this as I dug out my license, he finally said "well if you did stop it was only for about two seconds" and I just looked at him. A two second stop is a full stop. I stopped, checked all ways, released the brake and accelerated. It was a full stop.

After his two second remark he took my license and ran it through of course, and of course found nothing, came back handed it to me, said drive safe and went away.

It was the end of the month and he was fishing. They all do it, if read the police blotter in your local paper, at the end of the month compared to early in the month there are always more infractions at the end of the month, because they make random stops looking for violations. He just didn't get lucky with me

Wait..how'd I get on that?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It was the end of the month and he was looking for tickets. As he came up to my car I saw him eyeballing my tires and my inspection sticker and my registration sticker.

It was the end of the month and he was fishing. They all do it, if read the police blotter in your local paper, at the end of the month compared to early in the month there are always more infractions at the end of the month, because they make random stops looking for violations. He just didn't get lucky with me
I hate this opinion about traffic police!!!!! I know quite a few very close friends of mine are and i know a few because we get stopped in the megane quite regular because its a modified car i work in a pub. im kinda guessing this topic wasnt made to slag off the police after all its his job to stop people im glad they do random stops like what was basically was because it takes illeagal cars off the road

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No no, I wasn't dunning the police. I am quite grateful for their services. I know they do it though, my uncle is a retired state trooper, and he loves to tell
stories.

I just got side tracked as we were talking about how people get stopped for DUIs and often it's that they were stopped for something else, and once stopped, the cop can tell the driver has been drinking.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all this DUI talk in the drinking thread, I'll just add a bit in here that drinking doesn't mean drunk driving. Unless you're driving. In which case you're an idiot.

BF and I are part of a group of friends who call themselves The Long Beach Hopheads. We love good beer. We meet at a different beer bar/brewpub in LB or Seal Beach every Thursday. There are some idiots who do drink too much and drive home. I hate it, and I yell at them. BF and I do not do that. He's from England so it's ingrained in his mind that you just don't drive after even 1 beer. And me, well my cousin's husband was killed by a drunk driver, and it's just not worth it. So we take the bus, or we take turns being a designated driver. It's so easy, there is absolutely no reason to drive drunk in my opinion. Granted, we have a pretty good bus system in LB, and I know where I used to live in PA there were no buses after 6PM, but if I was driving, I'd have 2 pints max, and always water. (I drink water anyway with beers, it helps prevent a hangover.)

Just last Thursday was an MS fundraiser event at one of the better bars we go to, and I volunteered to drive us and our friend (Genever's 'Uncle' Scott). Of course, when we got there, I saw an amazing tap list so I was a bit bummed that I couldn't have more beers, but hey, I volunteered to drive, so I had to limit myself. Not a huge deal, I had a fun night out. And I felt great on Friday morning, while BF and Scott did not.

This Thursday we'll be meeting at a place downtown, so we'll take the bus. $1.25 each way sure beats the costs of a DUI. (and the cost of downtown LB parking, but that's another story..
)

Anyway, I just wanted to add that drinking doesn't automatically equal badness. There can be responsible alcohol consumption.
I won't feel bad about liking my beer!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sure, I'm not against other people drinking at all!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup basically here you have anything over 1 pint and you are classed as drunk driving, id happily see the law changing to no alcohol whatsoever, unless very slight amounts because i do know the body can produce a something that mimicks alcohol then you have to account for mouth wash and stuff like that, theres been quite a few programmes on over here about it

i once drove after the night before i got to the end of the street and turned round and parked up its not worth loosing my license

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wait..how'd I get on that?
Because you were still annoyed by the other night.
We don't have inspection stickers here anymore.

I haven't noticed an increase of DUIs at the end of the month. Now there is an increase on Fridays, Saturdays, and holidays because there are more cops out on those nights and they will stop anyone that makes any slight traffic violation. BUT Oklahoma is a very boring state, and rural towns are even more so - that leaves people with the favorite pastime around here. Getting completely smashed and driving.

There's an empty building downtown (used to be a church) off the main street (that gets semi traffic, too) that a few weeks ago a person was drunk, had peeled out at the stop light, lost control, crossed traffic and slammed into the side of. A brick building at that.

And no, drinking doesn't = driving. It's just far too common in the southern states.