Do you donate blood? Do you know your blood type?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm O- (as I like to say, I have Irish blood--sorry, AWFUL joke!). I would love to donate, but can't, as I'm severely anemic.

MargeCat
(a.k.a. the pink-blooded (not blue) Queen)

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I think you should still go back and donate again. I can't donate blood and neither can Lee. They won't let me because I lived in Europe for 6 years and could possibly be a carrier for mad cow (I think we would know if I had it by now right??)
I have the same issue. I don't have very good veins so I don't think I would make a good candidate. A+

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I have donated numerous times. I can't right now because of the thing about tattoos (which I think is crazy, along with the simple fact of being gay excluding you for life) but I started as soon as I could when I was 15 and do it often when I'm allowed.

I'm O-.

The reason they call so much is that they really really depend on people like us who are willing and able to donate. There aren't many of us out there, and they don't have much money for advertising so often people don't know where to go or when the drives are. I am sorry you feel like you were harrassed, but not donating doesn't punish them, it punishes people like my mommie whose lives have been saved by donated blood. If people don't donate they're forced to rely on paid-for blood products, and honestly if you've ever seen the places that pay for blood you'd realize that it's surprising any of the people there have useable blood or are healthy enough to donate.
I agree! I once dated a man who hated the Red Cross (an issue stemming from 1972, yet). When 9/11 happened, he refused to donate blood, as the RC were the only ones in his area (as it turned out, the blood for 9/11 wasn't needed, but we didn't know it then). I told him that this punished innocent people, not the Red Cross--write 'em a letter, but don't deny charity to the ones who need it. Needless to say, I'm not married to this jerk!

I'd love to be able to donate, especially as I'm type O, but I can't, due to anemia. I know they really need the blood, but they shouldn't harass you; but please reconsider donating despite this--who knows, maybe even someone on this forum may need it someday (I hope not!).

MargeCat

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do donate blood, I am currently working on my third gallon.

I am not able to donate every time I try though, sometimes I don't weigh enough, and sometimes my iron is low.

I am B+

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't donate. I was sick in high school & they don't know why, so I was told never to donate blood! I'm not sure of my type, either...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I donated at least twice yearly until 1972. I had cancer and after that I wasn't welcome to donate anymore.
I sure missed the orange juice and cookies.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am A- also and I can't donate blood. I have a bad tendancy to hit people coming at me with needles. I am very freaked out when I see one, and they have my hubby hold one hand down and a nurse hold the other so I don't swing at anyone anymore. I am not a good canididate for that.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to donate blood regularly but since being diagnosed with IBD and Crohn's I am unable to donate. I am blood type A- which is only about 8 % of the population so I was in high demand

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am A+. I donated blood regularly until 9/11. Like amny others I went to my local Red Cross to donate. There were so many people waiting to donate that they asked if anyone would be willing to donate platelets instead. So I started donating platelets, rahter than blood (although sometimes they will take blood while I am donating platelets). It is a long process - but they give us comfortable recliners, heating pads and our own personal DVD to watch. I laugh when the blood donors come in and want to know why "those people over there have nice reclining chairs and movies!" You can donate platelets more frequently and I don't believe they have a "shelf life" the way blood does!

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to, haven't done so in a couple of years. What bothered me was that the people at the hospital I donated at would call me non-stop to keep coming in to donate again and again. So I haven't been back.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I used to donate blood regularly but since being diagnosed with IBD and Crohn's I am unable to donate. I am blood type A- which is only about 8 % of the population so I was in high demand
My husband is also A- they are constantly hoarding him for blood, he most often doesn't have time to get in and give though.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't donate blood but I donate plasma. You can do plasma 2 times a week and you get paid for it so thats what we do. I forget what blood type I am. I need to find out the next time I go in.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My area is in demand for O blood and I'm O+. Until now I'd never bothered researching weather I could donate or not. I have some extra-curricular activities that might be frowned on. Well, I just did some searching and seems I can donate. I'll have to double check when ever I go in but I think I will now.

Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I am O+, but cannot donate because of tattoos and piercings. I get them too regularly to be eligible.
I just read about tatts and piercings and heres what I found at Red Cross

Piercing (ears, body), Electrolysis
Acceptable as long as the instruments used were sterile, one time use.
Tattoo
Wait 12 months after a tattoo if the tattoo was applied in a state that does not regulate tattoo facilities. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis.

Originally Posted by jugen

I am A- also and I can't donate blood. I have a bad tendancy to hit people coming at me with needles. I am very freaked out when I see one, and they have my hubby hold one hand down and a nurse hold the other so I don't swing at anyone anymore. I am not a good canididate for that.
Wow... you sound dangerous! LOL

Originally Posted by lnbandcats

So I started donating platelets, rahter than blood (although sometimes they will take blood while I am donating platelets). It is a long process - but they give us comfortable recliners, heating pads and our own personal DVD to watch.
What is the process for donating platelets? and do you know if the restrictions for donating are like they are for donating blood?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'm AB+. Is that a type?
I don't give blood because of my fear of needles, but if someone needed it, I'd be brave........

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We donated at the local fire station's blood drive twice a year.
We went to St. Vincent's/Grenadines and they had to pull out a big book to see if that area was okay, it was, just barely.
We went to Singapore last year and couldn't donate for a year, but we're good to go now.
It's not one of my favorite things to do, but I do anyway.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm O- I don't donate because everytime someone has to take blood from me I'm always left with horrible bruises

Then there's the untreated hypotension... that can't be good for giving blood.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very proud of myself because I just recently donated for the first time. I have needle issues, so I hadn't done it before. But...I decided to be really brave and just do it!
It wasn't so bad, and I'll definitely do it again. (We have blood drives at work about twice a year.)

I don't know what type I am. I think I saw somewhere that my parents are both O, so if that's true I think it would mean I have to be O. This is probably a stupid question, but how do I find out?

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm B+

I used to donate blood when I was at university. As I've been anaemic quite a bit of the last few years I can't really donate for the moment.