Do you do yearly Vax on your indoor cat?

loraandjeff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For indoor cats, I agree with AmyH and MyBabies.

Here's some very good sites I found on the subject:

http://www.catcaresociety.org/shots.htm

http://www.catsonly.com/Med Overvaccinating.htm

http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/m...ARTICLEID=1065

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/resou...re/vaccbr.html

Hi Wellington, I'm curious about this seminar you attended too. Everything I have researched and discussed with my vet said that kitties need their standard vax up to 12 weeks, but the initial 1-year booster was critical. The reason being, when they are young, there is no established research showing how long the maternal antibodies stay in the young babies, so if the maternal antibodies wear off when the kitten is, say, 6 months old, it is likely the cat will not be protected, which is why the 1 year was necessary, although thereafter it isn't. Everything I've read seems to agree with that so I'm curious what research you were presented with so I can research further.

Lora

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sam you've raised curiosity for me as well, because although Rosie and Sophie are indoors as you know, i don't give them Leukemia but on my vets advise make sure they have the flu/enteritis shot because i could transfer something to them if i'd touched another cat that had this disease

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

I'm confused. What's wrong with having all of the cat's shots before they're fixed? My vet told us that she wanted our cats to have all of their shots before they were fixed because of the risk of airborn infection during their stay at the office. Also, don't most indoor cats get neutered before 8 months? Did we do something wrong to our friends?
He had us wait a minimum of 30 days after the shots to have the cat spayed, and the boy was not 8 months yet. As a result, we ended up with 3 more cats.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do yearly vaccinations on my indoor cats, and I also give PREVENTION for heartworm. The vet said that indoor cats can get it.
My babies are all I have. There is NO one else, otjer than friends and 2 elderly aunts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

It was conducted by Massey University

www.massey.ac.nz

I can't be too sure exactly who conducted it, it was an amount of years ago.

None of the breeders I associate with do more then first and second vaccine.
I'm confused... Didn't you say in a pervious thread that you are 15 years old? I never heard of a 15 year old breeder????

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys go in yearly for their annual check-up and vaccinations. Tailer (who'd 8 years old) also gets blood tests every two years and Harvey (who's 14) gets them every year. Tailer and Forest get their vaccinations annually, but our vet recommends every other year for Harvey.

I'm going to ask her about the option of titers, though. I firmly believe that it's better to be safe than sorry. (On the advice of our old vet, who's unfortunately moved away now, I have them giving vaccinations in the legs so IF a tumor should develop it's in someplace operable.)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emb_78

I'm confused... Didn't you say in a pervious thread that you are 15 years old? I never heard of a 15 year old breeder????
I've been here for a long time and it is no secret that I am fifteen years of age and yes I am a breeder of Persians and Exotics.I breed some very beautiful healthy cats, and I am very responsible in the care of my cats. What is there to be confused about?

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I've been here for a long time and it is no secret that I am fifteen years of age and yes I am a breeder of Persians and Exotics.I breed some very beautiful healthy cats, and I am very responsible in the care of my cats. What is there to be confused about?
I never heard of someone so young breeding! Do you parents help you out?

shiari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wellington, are you based in NZ? Here in the US at least you *must* have your animals regularly vaccinated against rabies. It's also considered good medicine to do an FVRCP vax, though both of these can be stretched to once every three years for older cats, or extremely fractious ones.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shiari

Wellington, are you based in NZ? Here in the US at least you *must* have your animals regularly vaccinated against rabies. It's also considered good medicine to do an FVRCP vax, though both of these can be stretched to once every three years for older cats, or extremely fractious ones.
Shiari, I live in Wellington - New Zealand, yup!

Rabies isn't a concern here so we don't need that vaccine, surely we would get it for our cats if Rabies was an issue here.

avocado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shiari

Here in the US at least you *must* have your animals regularly vaccinated against rabies.
this varies from state to state. i live in the US, and in my state (california) rabies is required for dogs but not for cats. my vet does not recomend rabies vaccinations for indoor cats.

shiari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now that confuses me because I live in California too, and I was quite certain that cats needed it too. We will *not* board or groom a cat that is not up to date on its rabies vax. Well, in checking it appears to not be required... which I think is one of the silliest things ever considering the number of outdoor cats, and how often cats get into fights with each other, dogs, possums, and racoons.

My kitties are still getting rabies. >.< I'm so jealous of NZ being rabies free. But man oh man, titering cats is *not* fun. We had one go over last year that was a 4-person blood draw and that cat needed to be titered twice.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emb_78

Hey, I had my first performance at Chicago's Orchestra Hall when I was 15...you'd be surprised at what strong, smart young women like Sam are capable of!!!

(PS, this was meant to be a compliment to Sam, not a blow to you, Erin!!
)

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Hey, I had my first performance at Chicago's Orchestra Hall when I was 15...you'd be surprised at what strong, smart young women like Sam are capable of!!!

(PS, this was meant to be a compliment to Sam, not a blow to you, Erin!!
)
No Problem!! Good for her!