Do you consider your cats to be your children?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are my cats.  My kids are grown, and my cats are now quite spoiled.  They are family members, but they are furry family members. Babies start out as helpless, but we nuture them and they grow to become independent.  We "train" our children differently than we do our pets, we have different expectations for them and from them. I don't love my sisters the same way as I love my children.  I don't love my children the same way I love my mom.  I don't love my cats the same way I love my kids, that doesn't mean I love them more or less... love is love.  If I were in a burning building and my cat were in one room, and my helpless infant were in another, I would save the infant.  Same scenario, but with a 13 year old child and my cat... I would probably grab the cat while calling out to the child.  If the child were passed out and couldn't move on their own, I would grab the child but call out to the cat.  IDK... I would have to say, and hope my cats agree, that being my cat is enough.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy, Artie, is my buddy.. Yup, a buddy...He is always with me, no matter what. 

I do not feel as if I am his mother. I have never referred to myself as his mother, or as mom...I always use my name...not mom or mother...

I feel as is I am a Cat Guardian~~

I will elaborate: I honestly feel as if God or whoever or whatever you believe in, gave me Artie to keep, cherish, and take care of, as long as he is alive, on this earth.

In return, I get unconditional love from Artie. His love and friendship for life. 

I am responsible for his care. I get love in return....

That is a win/win situation.

Just my opinion, but I feel very strongly in it.....

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am childfree and a cat lover, as is my spouse, and while I think of them as "part of the family", I don't personally think of them as "my children". An adult cat has some needs similar to a child, but they are not going to mentally develop significantly beyond where they are now, and they also are already self-sufficient and thus adult in a way that children are not. Also my cats are not surrogates for children. I have cats because I want cats and not children. I don't like "fur baby/fur parent" and similar for myself for that reason. I tend to call them "the feline members of the household", "our furry friends/housemates".

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After their behaviour the last few days (cats, not kids), I have to add that my children would NEVER get away with the crap my cats have been pulling...

I hope some day my cats get along without fighting.

mariabaes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 there is nothing wrong with that, I kinda consider my ragdol cat Maya, Tortishell Scardicat, bombay Fred, and calico Olivia all my children. but we all have to remember that humans are all more important then all animals. I would never take my babies over any human.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bonita was like my cat baby to me, but I'd rather have two children instead, preferably I'd adopt 2 children starting at one to two years of age, a year or two apart if I was in a relationship that led to a happy marriage. I won't have children though, so my cat is my baby to me and I love spending time with her.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
We were watching some gruesome story on the news involving children and a rather bad parent. My husband pointed out that we treat our cats better than many humans do their own offspring.

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My cats are my cats.  My kids are grown, and my cats are now quite spoiled.  They are family members, but they are furry family members. Babies start out as helpless, but we nuture them and they grow to become independent.  We "train" our children differently than we do our pets, we have different expectations for them and from them. I don't love my sisters the same way as I love my children.  I don't love my children the same way I love my mom.  I don't love my cats the same way I love my kids, that doesn't mean I love them more or less... love is love.  If I were in a burning building and my cat were in one room, and my helpless infant were in another, I would save the infant.  Same scenario, but with a 13 year old child and my cat... I would probably grab the cat while calling out to the child.  If the child were passed out and couldn't move on their own, I would grab the child but call out to the cat.  IDK... I would have to say, and hope my cats agree, that being my cat is enough.
couldn't have said it better myself! i just call my cats my babies or furbabies.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
As someone that doesn't (and probably never will) have human children... yes, I considering my cats my children. Maybe for me, "children" has an entirely different definition, and that's ok. And the older I get the more I think of them as my children. I didn't feel that way quite as much when I was a child myself, but I do now.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just think of myself as a cat mom. I dont want the level of responsibility of being a parent to a human baby. >> im 29 but dont ever wanna grow up! My cats are my babies but theyre not real babies ...or else i wouldnt have them haha.

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nala Ava Marie is my baby! I do consider her to be my child. I have 3 grown children. Nala is like my adopted baby, I bottle fed this little girl. She relied on me for everything. When she's naughty I scold her like I did with my children. I buy her things at the store everytime I go somewhere. She has a pet carrier, I buckle her in the seatbelt. I worry about her. I never thought I'd ever have a baby kitten but I'm glad she's in my life. My children were not planned either, just miraculous surprises! I'm delighted when the vet calls me her "Mom".

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I just think of myself as a cat mom. I dont want the level of responsibility of being a parent to a human baby. >> im 29 but dont ever wanna grow up! My cats are my babies but theyre not real babies ...or else i wouldnt have them haha.
They are your real feline babies! :D

danideesaint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My babies are absolutely on the same level as my children.. The love is equal... I would give my life for their well being, as I would for many animals who are in harms way... I know not everyone is a die hard animal lover... I don't even eat animal products as to not support the cruelty animals are facing.. Back on topic, I have a strange relationship with my kitties... They fallow me around all day and our day consist of hide and go seek, chase and daily walks outside.. I think they appreciate the attention, and it makes me happy to give it to them. They aren't outside cats... So I have to make up for that indoors and keep them happy... It feels like a full time job to meet their needs, and with my daughter (human) it is the exact same way. Having an animal companion is a big responsibility.. You have to put yourself in their fur if you you will... Litter box needs to be kept clean, they need to be on a strict feeding schedule, playtime schedule, grooming schedule... This is very similar to having human children and its a lot of work. So no, you are not weird for considering your cats your children.. Yes they are a different species... But love is love and it comes in many forms.. I tip my hat to the people who can find it in them to treat animals as equals for that is the way it should be.. We are not above them or better than them. We forget that we are the ones who took it upon ourselves to domesticate the creatures.. We destroy habitats, kill animals for sport, for money, torture for god knows whatever reason... And we still think human life is above all else.. An animal will not rob me or rape me, it will only defend itself or act on natural instincts. If you can love an animal on the same level as a human, then more power to you. We need more of that in this world.

Jayroldo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a single 27 year old male with no children, and I love my cat. He is my equal in my eyes, I care about him like I would care about a human that I love. But I do not look at him as a child. I feel the bond between an animal and a human can never reach the depths of the connection between a human child that one would raise and literally do their best to mold into their perception of a good fellow human. Their is an obvious bridge in that connection to me. Having said that if my house caught on fire and I had time to salvage, the order would be: humans, my cat, then possessions. That's the way I feel, and I am not trying to judge the way anyone else feels. Good vibes everyone ✌ Cats are the coolest pets ever!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a single 27 year old male with no children, and I love my cat. He is my equal in my eyes, I care about him like I would care about a human that I love. But I do not look at him as a child. I feel the bond between an animal and a human can never reach the depths of the connection between a human child that one would raise and literally do their best to mold into their perception of a good fellow human. Their is an obvious bridge in that connection to me. Having said that if my house caught on fire and I had time to salvage, the order would be: humans, my cat, then possessions. That's the way I feel, and I am not trying to judge the way anyone else feels. Good vibes everyone ✌ Cats are the coolest pets ever!
Hello and welcome! :wave3:

We are always glad to welcome cat dads to the forum! Men who love cats are the best IMO.

I can see why you feel that way. Everyone's relationship with their pet is different. Feel free to post pictures of your cat. We love to see them and there is no such thing as too many pictures of cats in TCS land. You can start a page for your cat here. New Cats on the Block