Do you clip your cat's claws??

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feral cats have the opposite problem. Pavement and sidewalks wear their claws down. They may have trouble keeping them sharp enough.

Margret

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't often trim Matt's claws....only if he's got a sharp one that snags, or if he accidentally scratches me. 

The younger one must be trimmed every couple of weeks as a part of his care, because he's a very enthusiastic scratcher, and will scratch patches out of his fur, or cut himself if allowed to have sharp claws. We have to do minor first aid on a regular basis for small, self-inflicted cuts for the little guy.

I could never get the hang of cat claw clippers, though so I use toenail clippers instead. I'm less likely to mess up and go too short that way.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Since I last posted in this thread, we lost Jamie to HCM and brought Mogli home. Mogli loves to roughhouse, so I clip his front claws every week or two and his back ones every three to four weeks.

@Marlin The trick to cutting our Mogli's nails is to wait until he's taking his afternoon siesta on his window perch and then working as quickly as possible, just pressing on a toe to extend the claw and clipping the very tip. It takes me 60 seconds or less to do both front paws using a tiny pair of scissor-type clippers that I can conceal in my hand before I begin. He was 9 months old when I started. The first couple of times I only did one or two claws at a time, but he got used to it so quickly that I was soon doing all of them. He gets a lot of praise and a treat afterwards.

I've had a lot of luck with corrugated cardboard scratchers. Mogli prefers them to wood or sisal.

Last edited: