Do you check your spelling before posting?

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ *grammar

I'll fly over what I'm typing once to make sure I didn't leave something out... but I'm usually and alright speller.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Just as an explanation for why I'm "harping" on spelling: I'm in the process of correcting final exams, and one young man (German/Jamaican) did an excellent translation of a German business letter, but flunked because of his atrocious spelling.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I didn't notice the feature, and I still can't see it. Chances are, using Opera, I probably couldn't use it, anyway. I can't use a lot of features like smiley's ect.
You can't use smilies, Hope? I'm using Opera, too, both at home and at work, and I get the smilies when I use the regular reply window -- not with the quick reply, but I know the codes for most of the ones I care about anyway, and can put it in if it feels important.

But you're right about the spell check -- I haven't been able to use it in Opera. Not a huge deal, because I do proof read before I post, but when it was first available, I did check and found it not available.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I dont see it either tricia,
I hardly ever check my spelling, i sometimes like to annoy people with my grammer
Heck i cant speak a language straight!
Fran when you click on post reply, where the screen is for you to type, theres a "Tick" symbol with ABC on it to the right of the screen.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Fran when you click on post reply, where the screen is for you to type, theres a "Tick" symbol with ABC on it to the right of the screen.
It doesnt

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

But you're right about the spell check -- I haven't been able to use it in Opera. Not a huge deal, because I do proof read before I post, but when it was first available, I did check and found it not available.
This spell checker supposedly works with Opera (click "Full Installer") and others: http://aspell.net/win32/

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Just as an explanation for why I'm "harping" on spelling: I'm in the process of correcting final exams, and one young man (German/Jamaican) did an excellent translation of a German business letter, but flunked because of his atrocious spelling.
Hmmm, I did think you were hinting.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Since we now have the spelling check feature (ABC over a check mark on the upper right), I was wondering how many people actually take the time to use it to correct spelling mistakes and typos.
i do usually proof my posts, & have been known to edit when i found a mistake... but i've never used the spell check here at TCS... i don't even see an icon like you're describing on my screen. the only thing i see on the upper right is the switch editor mode button. is it a IE vs. Netscape problem? i've found lots of things on the net that won't work w/Netscape.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i do usually proof my posts, & have been known to edit when i found a mistake... but i've never used the spell check here at TCS... i don't even see an icon like you're describing on my screen. the only thing i see on the upper right is the switch editor mode button. is it a IE vs. Netscape problem? i've found lots of things on the net that won't work w/Netscape.
Here are directions for Netscape:
tscape Navigator

Netscape needs an extension to check spelling in text entry areas. To install the extension on a Windows PC:

Open Netscape Navigator.
Verify that you can download and install new software to your browser by clicking Edit -> Preferences... on the menu bar. When the preferences window opens, click the small triangle next to "Advanced" in the "Category" window. Click on "Software Installation" and make sure the "Enable software installation" option is checked.
Click this spellcheck.api link and choose "Install" to install the software.
Restart Netscape Navigator.
After the extension is installed, check the spelling of text areas by:

Highlighting the text to be checked (a single word, a block of text, etc.)
Right-clicking on the highlighted area
Selecting "Check Spelling" from the menu that appears and replacing, ignoring, or adding the term(s) as needed

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops! I clicked on `always' before I noticed there was a feature. I actually hadn't noticed the feature, but I am so fussy about what I type that everything gets proof-read before I post it, and if I missed something I go back and fix it (unless Wyan gets to it first and then posts something to point it out!!!...
)

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm....I hadn't noticed it. I always check over my spelling myself and, being a huge perfectionist, if I post and then notice I mispelled something, I edit it.

jdpesz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I usually check my spelling on the fly. If i miss a word here and there, oh well. Most people on this forum spell way better than on other boards I've been to. I swear some of those kids must misspell every word they write on purpose just because they think it makes them look cool or something.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't see the button since I haven't downloaded a spellchecker, so I just check it myself.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As obsessive-compulsive as I am about everything, typing is no different. I type very quickly, but also notice mistakes as I make them (usually), and backspace to fix before I'm finished.
I didn't know we had a spellcheck option on here, either. I see it now, though.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, some of the typos are half the fun of not using spell check! Anyone remember the great ones kittylover4ever could come up with? Such as when she had Susan ripping her "knockers" (she meant "knickers") on our first virtual vacation? (For newbies - that thread was lost in the Great Crash of 2004)

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Hey, some of the typos are half the fun of not using spell check! Anyone remember the great ones kittylover4ever could come up with? Such as when she had Susan ripping her "knockers" (she meant "knickers") on our first virtual vacation? (For newbies - that thread was lost in the Great Crash of 2004)
Yep, it's always fun bugging people about their spelling mistakes, especially since I rarely get caught myself!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have to check my spelling.. I hate bad spelling!
There have been a few times when I haven't, but I do it a lot.. and if I notice that I spelled something wrong, I edit it as quick as I can.