Do You Celebrate Halloween?

SK13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Night!
As halloween is aproaching,I am wondering.
What do you think of Halloween?
I personally think it is a fun holiday.
It was scary a few years ago but now it is all good.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Halloween. I'd decorate the front yard until nothing else would fit there but I don't want the clutter the rest of the year. Lowe's always has some wonderful inflatables that I'd love to have. Last Christmas they had a huge inflatable airplane with Santa in it. For Halloween they had a gigantic dragon. My front yard is full of trees, so there's no place to put one.

We like put on weird makeup and an improvised costumes and walk around the malls. Lots of people take our picture.

We have very few kids in our neighborhood so we don't give out candy. We put a sign on the mailbox that says "Sorry! No Candy!" Then we turn out the front lights.

For me, Halloween is such more fun than Christmas. Plus I get to buy lots of candy and eat it myself without guilt.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Halloween. It is by far my favorite day of the year. I'm not a fan of Thanksgiving because for years it meant one thing for me- lots of hard work with little payoff. I'd spend hours cooking, they'd spend minutes eating and then I got all the cleanup after. No more. It's just DD and me now (and the furkids of course) so we (we meaning me) do something much smaller. Christmas? Nope. I'm not religious and it's also a lot of work with little payoff. I can't put a tree up anyway- Sophie would destroy it in less than a day. So Halloween it is. For so many years, DH and I would go all out with decorations and get LOTS of candy. I haven't done anything since he passed away- partly because I don't think it would be as much fun without him and partly because of the dog. She screams like a lunatic whenever someone knocks on the door. I used to take her on a walk around the neighborhood so DH could hand out treats but she's 15 and quite arthritic now. Walks? Please. I'm lucky I can get her out back to use the facilities. I may start it up again after she crosses the bridge. DD will be moving on in the not too distant future so it will be me and the cats once Bailey the dog joins her dad. I think DH would want me to.

Was that more information than you wanted? :lol: :wave3:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, not at all. I feel pretty much the same way about the holidays. I lived about 45 miles from my mother but every Thanksgiving and Christmas I had to prepare a huge meal for the four or five of us, transport it all the way across town, and have it piping hot exactly at noon. If it was 1 p.m. I caught scratch as she called to see what was keeping us. Now that it's just the two of us, we have something non-traditional on those holidays. Life is much better that way.

Halloween, now, is a different story. We've always had fun celebrating it. I even wore a home-made costume a couple of times. Once was a scarecrow. I leaked hay all over the place and itched like crazy. The second time I found out our new district manager didn't approve of costumes so I had to stay hidden under my desk all day. That was OK because we went shopping afterward and I had a ball. My spouse didn't dress up for work but we went out after work. Aren't we charming?

Both full front Halloween 2014.jpg

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I don't really care about it much either way. Back when we got trick-or-treaters it was fun, but I think we've had maybe all of two kids come by in the last 5 or so years, so at this point we simply leave the porch light off and do whatever we would normally be doing on that day of the week. When I was a kid, of course, I loved it. Free candy -- what's not to love? I do enjoy watching the little kids in stores, already wearing their Halloween costumes. They love getting into character.

Margret

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like the dress-up part. In Ireland a lot of it is an excuse for kids to run around causing mayhem with (illegal) fireworks, which can be very scary for kitties (and not in the "fun" scary way that Halloween is for humans).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked it when I was little and living in the city. Up here, you are more likely to get ambushed before you get to a door for candy. Most people out here don't wander around after dark. Not too long ago, the bear was just beyond the light of the porch. backing away, backing away.
That scare was a little too close for comfort.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not really. I get a few things out for decoration, but that's it. We don't get any kids or anything, so it's pretty much not a big deal around here.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the time of the year, I decorate some, not going all out but enough. Halloween means a lot to children, so I like it for that, I love their infectious excitement and their joy. We live in an area where the houses are too far apart, one in every three to four blocks, so we are lucky to get one or two bunches a year. It doesn't stop us from buying the candy though, and lots of it. Darn, I suppose we'll have to eat all of it again, it's good it's everything we like! :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mother Dragon Mother Dragon I know what you mean. I was making the huge meal for THREE people. DH had to have all the fixins. DD doesn't like turkey so now we do crab cakes and salad or something like that. I roast a bone in chicken breast for the furkids. They love that.

We have had fewer and fewer trick or treaters come by over the years. Parents are also now driving kids around which was unheard of when I was a kid unless it was raining out. People are taking kids to events at malls and such more these days too I think.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mother Dragon Mother Dragon

Does anyone know why my post showed up in red and the emoji doesn't show up?
We had parades at my elementary school when I was a kid. Those were fun then we went home to trick or treat. My DH was so funny when it came to the candy. We bought a ton of it and he had a system for handing it out. Anything he did NOT like went first. If that ran out, the stuff he kinda liked went. If THAT ran out, the light went out and we were closed for business. The stuff he really liked was his and that was that. :lol:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't decorate much for the actual holiday, though I do decorate for the fall season, and I don't pass out candy at all but I'm just nearly knocking on the door of being 30 so Halloween costume parties are still fun to me. I do enjoy when Halloween falls on a weekend and heading to a bar in full costume and they serve ridiculous themed drinks or some featured shot in a test tube. So I suppose I like the childish adult side of Halloween. :lol:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't ... no Halloween, nor jingle bells or other seasonal celebrations.
I enjoy and celebrate life every day !!! :lol:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did when i lived on the west coast. My kids were younger then, we all dressed up and trick or treated and my neighborhood was small so I would take advantage of 2 for $1 sales on regular sized candies so trick or treaters got full sized candy bars and novelty suckers at my house.
When we moved to South Carolina it stopped being fun. People don't really do the house to house thing here. They do Trunk or Treat at the churches and schools, most of the time no one even dresses up.
I live in the country so there isn't much point in decorating either.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's fun! Our two youngest are 10 & 13 so they could go Trick or Treating by themselves but our older kids bring the grandkids over so we all go Trick or Treating together. My parents live 3 doors down so we take our candy there for them to give out while we're gone. Our block is double long and most houses give out candy so by the time we go from one end to the other the kids are ready to go home.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mother Dragon Mother Dragon

Does anyone know why my post showed up in red and the emoji doesn't show up?
You somehow managed to get the whole post to be a link to Mother Dragon Mother Dragon 's profile :confused::headscratch: :confused2: Now, that's a neat trick, especially by accident :wink: I can't fix it for you, but at least there's an explanation.

We don't celebrate halloween at all, save buying some candy for the few kids that go trick or treating round here - I'm in a small group of houses outside of town, so very few make it up here...and the kids that live here don't make it to the town, as far as I know. We were taken by surprise the first couple of years, so now make sure to have some candy in. It's seem so mean to disappoint the kids.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I LOVE Halloween! It's my favorite holiday. I love Fall, as well. I decorate, go to an adult party, and dress up for the kids, all 125+ kids that come to my door.

This year was bad, though. We had to get Loki put down that morning. My sweet little black Halloween kitty...