Do You Bell?

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats outdoor/indoor no bells or collars as they may get caught up a tree or something, two are chiped two arent, I am not 100% sure but I think it is now law in France to chip your cats it is definatly law for dogs.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laceface

That is why my guys wear collars. In this area, no one would even check for a chip, so it is very necessary for them to have something!
Yep too many people around here would just think its a stray or got dumped and would just take it in and keep it without ever even trying to find an owner much less driving the cat somewhere to look for a chip.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No collars or bells for mine. When Fred was still with me, I kittysat for a friend's tiny kitten, who wore a belled collar. He had been over with her before, and Fred just loved him then, but this time Fred kept smacking the poor little thing around. We finally took the collar off the baby, and Fred was fine with him. We figured either the bell aggravated Fred or he thought the baby was a toy, since he liked toys with bells.

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

No collars or bells for mine. When Fred was still with me, I kittysat for a friend's tiny kitten, who wore a belled collar. He had been over with her before, and Fred just loved him then, but this time Fred kept smacking the poor little thing around. We finally took the collar off the baby, and Fred was fine with him. We figured either the bell aggravated Fred or he thought the baby was a toy, since he liked toys with bells.
SO Funny!! Billy is our only cat with a collar/bell. We want to get collars for the rest just in case they get out but so far we have not had trouble with them getting out. Billy sometimes thinks he is a toy...he will hear his own bell and play with it. super cute.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I won't risk my cats lives by putting collars on them, but if I did would not have them wearing bells.
I agree. No collars here either. There are too many things that collars can get hooked on or caught in and we're not taking any chances. We had a situation years ago with Hydrox and his collar and there's no way I'm putting collars on our cats. They're strictly indoor cats anyway.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oscar once managed to loosen his collar enough to where his bottom jaw got stuck in it.
No more collars in the house for them! But we do put collars on them when we have to take them out to the vet or when we're visiting with family for a long time.

And Tara, the plastic might have melted due to flea medication. That happened to us once time (again, when Oscar was little) and we realized that we had put the flea meds on him with his collar still on (DH put the meds up a bit high). From then on, not only do we not put collars on the boys, we also make sure if we HAVE to put collars on them, it's not around the same time we've put flea meds on.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mine have bells - or did - Cable & Java both lost their collars during the move. the only reason Pixel didn't is because i keep hers off most of the time.