Do you believe in fate?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

You have your beliefs, and I have mine.

This thread was a question about your PERSONAL beliefs....not a debate, not which is right/wrong, and I stated my beliefs and am leaving it at that. If I wanted to argue or be insulted LOL, then I'd go to IMO.
I meant no insult in my post, I am sorry you took it that way, I speak my mind and sometimes it comes out wrong. It was certainly not intended as an insult to your beliefs.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason, every choice is made for a reason, and that when its our time, nothing we can do will stop it or could prevent it.
I agree. I believe that yes we have been given free will, but all of our decisions and actions have been pre mapped out for us and no matter what will all lead us to the same point.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I agree. I believe that yes we have been given free will, but all of our decisions and actions have been pre mapped out for us and no matter what will all lead us to the same point.
But think of this, if we have free will but our life is going to happen according to some cosmic plan, that is a pretty sick joke on all of us on God's part.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

To say that free will doesn't matter, and all is predetermined destiny.... Ok.... So.... Let me just sit my butt on the couch, never apply to a job in my life again, not send another resume out, not talk to anyone, never go to another interview, because the job of my dreams will knock on my door one way or another regardless of what I do... Right? How can that be even be considered possible? I firmly believe you get what you work for. There are no victims, everything is a consequence of your past actions... Unless you inherited some genetic disorder from your parents...
Actions, consequences.... otherwise why get off bed? Why go to school? College? Be good? Why do your best?
I was actually thinking of posting close to this last night.

If you think it's all predetermined, then why the hell bother with doing anything at all?

There's only one thing that is the same for all, one unchanging factor. Death. Nothing in the universe escapes that.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

But think of this, if we have free will but our life is going to happen according to some cosmic plan, that is a pretty sick joke on all of us on God's part.
I think you are completely right. If there is some map we ultimately have no control over, then "free will" is a total farce. So, I am now actually wondering, how those of you who believe 100% fate reconcile this with the traditional view that God did indeed give man free will.