Do you believe cats have some sort of "supernatural" abilities?

maura larling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I 100% feel they do, whether it be seeing spirits or traveling in her sleep, what do you believe

pompy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, I don't believe in things of that nature. I do wonder what my cat dreams about though. :)

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cat Buddy has a supernatural ability to steal food and then get sick after because he shouldn't be eating Big Buddy food, he should only be eating Little Buddy food.

I've also read that cats can hear much higher frequencies than us humans can, thus their ability to hear mice when we're unaware.

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may think I'm crazy but yes. After 4 different cats spent their entire lives (or, in Maya and Isy's cases, as long of their lives as they spent in that house) staring at the same spot on the ceiling of my living room for at least a solid hour every few days and occassionally hissing at something nobody else saw, on top of getting the feeling of being watched in that room on a regular basis and several other weird events, it's hard to say I 100% don't believe it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep.  Now bear in mind that I come from a very non-traditional background.  My gran taught me that cats see the mundane and astral planes at the same time all the time.  That's why they can stare for hours at something that we can't see.  And why they are valued by Wiccans and other Pagan folk as familiars (that and the fact that they are little energy sponges, and that they can walk across a circle's boundaries without disturbing the circle...that energy thing again). 

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe that cats have very sharp senses, I also believe they can see things we can't. I fully believe in ghosts and I also believe there were plenty in the house I grew up in (a exbf who calmed to have 'the sight' told me there were ghosts in my house but he refused to tell me anything about them). The cats often appeared to be looking at empty spaces, several times we caught their eyes following something up the stairs when there was nobody there., so even if they could see it they knew something was there.

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats rely on their senses for survival in the wild and our house cats do the exact same thing. My cat knows when there is a dog near the yard and when someone is yelling or the local kids are fighting he growls at them! Cats can see in the dark and because we are not cats we have no idea at what they really see. Cats can hear mice from a long ways away.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the past 17 years I've only lived shared with cats and birds as room mates no humans  :D

Yes! cats can see in different dimensions.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

charliana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine like to wait until I am home alone at night,  then jump up and act like someone is in the house.    I don't know if they hear something,  or just like to scare me. 

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do believe that cats can have supernatural senses and some houses can be haunted.. 

Many years ago I spent a year in England doing medical locum tenens hospital positions right across the breadth of England.  This involved living in different houses and moving to the next house every month or so.  We, my wife, our young daughter and Kinky, a fully grown Tonkinese neutered male, (whom we had bred ourselves), eventually found ourselves in a dark, cold hospital house in Aylesbury in mid-England. 

We certainly thought that there was something wrong about this house but we could not put our finger on just what it was.  However Kinky, who always slept between us, changed his whole personality and decided that he no longer liked me.  He would not let me come to bed, he hissed at me and slashed me across my forehead and nose when I attempted to do so.  This was a cat who had known me all his life and who had happily slept with us before, including when we lived in  different houses before we came to Aylesbury. 

During the whole time that we lived in that house, Kinky no longer slept in our bed and we had to make up a bed for him on the window ledge.  Kinky returned to his usual friendly behaviour when we went on to live in another hospital house in Wales and never attacked me again. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Yes, I do believe that cats can have supernatural senses and some houses can be haunted.. 

During the whole time that we lived in that house, Kinky no longer slept in our bed and we had to make up a bed for him on the window ledge.  Kinky returned to his usual friendly behaviour when we went on to live in another hospital house in Wales and never attacked me again. 
He perhaps felt the bed place was dangerous for you.  And being exact there, it was his duty to stop you.

While, having his bed on the window ledge, the responsibility was not as heavy to bear.  A common psycological trick.

Alternatively, the danger did come through the window, thus, sleeping in the window ledge, he protected you anyways.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello StefanZ,

Thank you for replying to my post.   Yes, Kinky may well have thought he was protecting me, but it wasn't from the bed as he allowed my wife, Patricia, to sleep in it undisturbed.  I have always thought it was the house that was haunted, or at least disturbed.  That house had an unpleasant atmosphere.

Houses can have atmospheres.   When we lived in Brisbane, in Queensland, the house next door had such an atmosphere that it was sold three times in ten years - every time because a tragedy of some sort had affected those who lived in it!   It was so bad that one neighbour asked their priest to come in and perform an exorcism.  He did so, but with little effect. ...

With regards,

Geoffrey

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been reading some cat literature/books the past year or so. The supernatural was dealt with in a couple things I read. "Lords of the Housetops" is 13 short stories. One of the stories is "A Psychical Invasion", and the cat and dog in this story see things that their owner does not. The book is old enough that you can find e versions for free. The book is a top 3 of all the cat related books I have read.

A recent release titled "Flat Cats" has a little supernatural in it that one hopes is true as it is read. I found it to be a nice expression of the power of a relationship between a cat and owner.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I definitely think they do, maybe not supernatural but something like that. Maybe not all of them, but some of them.

The night before Sidney got sick and went to the hospital, I had a dream she fell down from a great height and was gasping for breath at the bottom when I got to her. Later that day, she started panting and open mouth breathing, we took her to the hospital and she died a week later. To be honest, I feel like she sent me that dream somehow to warn me and tell me she needed help. I woke up feeling terrible after dreaming that and forgot about it until we were at the hospital.

So, yes, I do think they sometimes have special psychic abilities.