Do you bathe your cats?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, Milo looks like a drowned rat in the first picture

and worn out from his chimney and bath adventure in the second picture. What a cutey

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nacho and Orion never have been ever. They've been wiped down with a damp cloth in the summer, but thats it.

Poptart and Gordito had about 1 bath their entire life, when they were 5 weeks old and they didn't have a momma to groom them and they stepped and rolled in their own poop. gordito may have had 1 or 2 more baths though, we was a pig and alwasy got filthy at feeding times.

Cappy has had a lot of baths. He had 2 baths a week until he turned 9 weeks old and he wouldn't let me do it anymore.
But being 12 days old when I got them, and no momma, I had to bathe them or they stayed dirty.

But none other than those times because they were orphaned.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. Never bathed mine. They've never needed it and I see no reason to bathe them unless they need it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! Mine get a bath every season (4x a year) and if they get dirty. I keep them well groomed and make sure their coats are always in the best condition possible
If i'm fostering and i suspect a foster kitty has ringworm- i will bathe ALL of my animals (and even myself) in a Malabase bath as a precation.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by u8myufo

Only once have I bathed one of ours, and that was Milo after his trip up the chimney.
Before.

And after.
OMG! what a cutie.
he looks like a dilute version of my cat, Tiger.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittydad;1602928 said:
Was doing a bit of reading this weekend, and I read that it is adviseable to bath your cat occassionally. I never heard of this, and thought that cats were afraid of water in that fashion. So it begs the question, what does everyone do here?
Do you bathe your cats occassionally, frequently, or never at all???
quote]

Alley got a bath after being retrieved from a dumpster in an alley. Persi has never had a bath except the day he accidently fell into the bathtub. They both smell very nice to me so I am not going to push the matter.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bathed Melchett once when he rolled in 'something brown' and stank the house out. It was not fun at all and he nearly took the skin of DH's arms in the process!!!!

Never dared try bathing Max or Paddy, but Ben had a completely accidental bath aged about 5 months - the kids had had baths and hadn't pulled the plug out - someone small and spotty decided to explore - there was a big splash, and a hysterical bedraggled cat raced round the house for about half an hour before we could catch him to rinse the bubbles off him and dry him off!!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by u8myufo

Only once have I bathed one of ours, and that was Milo after his trip up the chimney.
Before.

And after.
What a difference dry fur makes to a cat's beauty. Poor Milo looked like a little rat with a cat's head in that first pic. Look at his skinny tail. But what a beauty when he dried off!

I have never bathed either of my cats, as it has never been necessary. They always smell and look clean to me. Fred fell in a bathtub full of hot water as a kitten ( I felt sooooo bad), but that doesn't really count.

My previous cat had diarhea issues as he got older. Sometimes we'd have to put him in the tub and gently hose him down with the detachable shower head.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaz, my NFC, gets a bath once a year after she gets sheared.
She's old, doesn't groom well and will attack you if you try maintenance brushing/combing.

The others gets baths when they get into something.
They are all accustomed to it, and while they don't like it, they don't fight it either.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I have never bathed Misty except when she was a kitten and that was 14 years ago. She would scratch my eyes out if I tried now.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squee loves water but I haven't bathed her since we got her in December. Scratch hates water and I've bathed her a few times--once when she went missing and another time when it was so hot outside she was almost panting.
But other than that, no. Scratch is a clean freak and has the nicest fur I've ever felt on a cat.

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. About every 12 weeks, or sooner if we need to. Sometimes, they get into stuff and you've just got to give them a bath. In our case, more of a shower. One of ours is 16 and is beginning to stink more frequently.

We lay a towel on the bottom of the laundry tub, so they can get a good grasp and they don't fight as much that way. We have used all sorts of shampoo over the years. Right now I don't know what is by the sink, and I'm too tired to go downstairs and look -- but its something mild.

We have a hose that fits at the end of the faucet. At the other end of it is a little shower head thingie. Makes it easier.

A second towel is placed on top of the washing machine that we place the cat onto after their shower.

A third towel is warmed in the clothes dryer. The cats like to be held, wrapped in and then dried with the warm soothing towel.

Darn cats have it better than us.

They still don't like the ordeal, or understand it.