Do you bathe your cat(s)?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the cat is kept out of drafts, fans, air conditioning vents while wet you can wash then anytime; summer, winter, spring, fall

If its a longhair, then you have to comb and blow dry - shorthairs can be air-dried away from drafts.

Zoey's mom - I would not use Pert - use the Pantane/Nexxus - its better (higher quality) shampoo and conditioner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I'll look for Nexxus, somebody else recommended it... Dang. This cat is gonna get better baths than I do! She already eats higher quality than me!
But anything for my princess... I do want her soft and shiny! If I can't find Nexxus (I really need to draw the line at ordering shampoo for my cat) I'll go for the Pantene, which we like anyway. Can I use Finesse shampoo? That way I can just buy the Pantene conditioner... Unless the Pantene "Sleek & Shiny" or whatever is okay, cause I use that...[/font]

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I don't think your white cat is an outdoor cat. Zoey is, and she's white almost all over! She tends to get a bit discolored, but that is not the main concern. She tends to get smelly...
Who wants to sleep with a smelly cat? I think it's good for them to be exposed to it as well, and you are wrong, cats do not hate water. Haven't you heard of those who have cats that jump right in the shower with their employees?
[/font]
My cat is mostly indoors but does go outside a little each day. Sometimes he comes back covered in brown dirt, but he gets himself white again within a few hours.

I'm not saying that some cats don't love water or that those ones shouldn't be allowed in it. Maine Coons and some other breeds love it. But most cats hate it.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you bathe your cat(s)? Yes
If so, how often? Whenever they need it
What do you bathe them in? Sink or Tub
Do you use shampoo? Yes
If so, what kind? Biogroom Ultra Black shampoo
How does your cat respond to the bath? Complains, but does not struggle.

I bathe my cat if/when she needs it. Sneakers is not the best about grooming, I'm not sure if she still has trouble grooming due to being overweight (she is almost down to her ideal weight, she was 17 lbs when I rescued her) or what. For example last week she came to me with something disgusting on her tail. I waited a little to see if she'd groom it off but she never did so I had to wash her tail... I am planning to bathe the kitten we are getting in a few months regularly so she is comfortable with bathing because I would like to show her.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finasse would be last choice. The Nexxus you will have to get in a salon. I'd get the Simply Silver for white hair (its purple but don't worry).

And yes, the cats had more expensive shampoo then I did

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Finasse would be last choice. The Nexxus you will have to get in a salon. I'd get the Simply Silver for white hair (its purple but don't worry).

And yes, the cats had more expensive shampoo then I did
drug emporium carries Nexxus, also

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]A hair salon?
Sorry, but I'm really not willing to go to a hair salon and spend money on expensive shampoo for my kitty.
The Finesse worked great on Zoey, truth be told! She was so shiny and her coat was luxurious...
That lasted all of what, 2 days?
Will try the Pantene.
[/font]

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Truthfully since I know what is in most shampoos I would NOT use any .... I have actually found many "salon" types contain more caustic agents
... Just FYI from the OVERLLY causious

isisbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Truthfully since I know what is in most shampoos I would NOT use any .... I have actually found many "salon" types contain more caustic agents
... Just FYI from the OVERLLY causious
I see a lot of posters are talking about washing their cats in Human shampoo, but are you also including cat/pet shampoo's in there too?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chris Christensen, Bio Groom, All Systems #1 are all high quality pet grooming products ...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by IsisBaby

I see a lot of posters are talking about washing their cats in Human shampoo, but are you also including cat/pet shampoo's in there too?
Many cat shampoos are the same ingrediants as human so yes

Bio groom is good I used to use that alot

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I use oatmeal shampoo designated for pets... but for those of you who are "overly cautious" I believe you can't go wrong with a little bit of Dawn dish detergent... it's what wildlife rescuers use on penguins and other wildlife that get caught in oil spills... if you are going to use this, I personally wouldn't bathe more than once a month, as Dawn is designed to strip out oil and some oil is essential in a healthy coat... if you're going to bathe more often, maybe switch between the Dawn and another shampoo

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Have been wanting to ask this and it keeps slipping my mind...

Do you bathe your cat(s)?
If so, how often?
What do you bathe them in?
Do you use shampoo?
If so, what kind?
How does your cat respond to the bath?
[/font]
Yes, I bathe my cats. Jake I bathe about once a month. Peaches gets bathed only occassionally. She doesn't need it nearly as often as Jake. I use a conditioning cat shampoo and bathe them in the kitchen sink. I find they like the smaller space better and it's easier on my back. My cats respond pretty well to the bath. They only start fussing when I take too long and they're bored!

By the way.... run some rinse water in a plastic tub or the other side of the sink and add a couple tablespoons of white vinegar to the water. Rinsing with this helps restore the ph balance of the skin and helps to get all the soap out better. Dawn dishwashing liquid is also fine to use on a cat in a pinch. It's also excellent to use if you have a cat with a greasy coat. Jake's first shampoo is with dawn and then I follow up with the conditioning shampoo. His coat is really greasy so it helps.

I hate to dissagree with some of the good folks here. But I don't recommend human shampoos unless you really know what you're doing and know how your cat will react to each ingredient. I understand some have used them with no problem. But not everything that is good for humans is good for a cat. Cats are much more sensitive and their kidneys and livers can't process things as well as us humans. For example, Ibuprofen is ok for humans but a half of a 200 mg pill will be toxic to a cat. And they do absorb things through the skin. Especially stay away from shampoos with tea tree oil in them. It can be very toxic to cats and believe it or not, can sometimes be found in some cat shampoos. Not as much in the U.S. but I believe it is used more in other countries. And it is found a lot more often in human shampoos everywhere.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the Nexxus on my rexes because one of the top breeders of rexes is also a hairdresser and he recommeded me using it (they use it on their cats). So its safe. Its not that expensive $8 for a bottle but the bottle lasts a long long time as you don't use much and its only for the cats

We have used Charlie's special shampoo (pets) on us to see the results - works on people too

I would not use the expensive shampoos on me on a regular basis - but for the cats its very cost effective.

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give my kitty a bath when she's messy "back there" or if her fur is getting a bit greasy.

As for those who think that giving a cat a bath is traumatic for them, it normally is not unless you use one of these stupid new inventions:

Pet Spa was invented to supposedly help groomers give animals baths and is supposed to be less traumatic than a normal bath. HA! Whoever thought up that idea is a total idiot and doesn't understand animals at all. BOO!