Do you bath cats?

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't bathe them unless I have to (for the reasons already mentioned --fleas or litterbox "residue"). Stan has gotten many a "butt bath". Bella would not be fun or easy to bathe, so I'm lucky we haven't had to as of yet. She will not be brushed either -- she's very proud of her cleaning abilities

I do use kitty ear wipes from time to time as Bella is prone to getting gunky buildup (not like the nasty mite gunk, but a thin brownish residue). She doesn't fight that as much, I figure it must feel pretty good.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bathe all my cats (19 now) at the very least 4 times a year. The show cats - Abys, every two months unless it's a show month, the Norwegian and Persian - at least twice a month unless it's a show month for Lou then the usual twice monthly plus the show groom.

Yes, I AM a crazy cat lady

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Brian-

There are NEVER too many questions on TCS, feel free to list them all! I really don't see a need in bathing cats, unless they are really dirty or if they have fleas. But that's just my opinion. Cats actually keep themselves pretty clean all by themselves!

I have had cats all my life and never bathed one. My dogs used to join me in the shower so that was no problem. Besides, all of my cats have been indoor only cats and they always smelled clean to me. That does seem to be what they do most of the time when not sleeping, cleaning.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I bathe all my cats (19 now) at the very least 4 times a year. The show cats - Abys, every two months unless it's a show month, the Norwegian and Persian - at least twice a month unless it's a show month for Lou then the usual twice monthly plus the show groom.

Yes, I AM a crazy cat lady
Well, you have alot of pride in your cats, Adilah. Not crazy at all. I would think that all owners with purebred cats would be particularlly interested in keeping their cats extra clean. I am not as meticulous about it as I should be, but mine get bathed a couple times a year and get wiped down with baby wipes pretty regularlly.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i only give baths on 2 occasions:
flea infestations
diarrhea or urine that has gotten all over the cat in question
and that 2nd one is mostly for my benefit.
I concur

brattina88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227
i only give baths on 2 occasions:
flea infestations
diarrhea or urine that has gotten all over the cat in question
and that 2nd one is mostly for my benefit.
I agree!
My Bella likes to play in the water... I don't think she necessarily enjoys being bath, but she tolerates it very well. I had to bath her when we first got her because she stunk of urine so bad...

They take good care of themselves, though. Occasionally I'll wipe them with a "pet wipe" so they smell less like cat and more like baby powder *L*

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i tried today..first, he almost killed me, and then he started to make such a cute noises that i couldn't resist
actually i think there's no need to do it, its a huge stress... i just wiped "dirty" parts with wet cloth and will do so if he gets dirty again..

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bathe my cats every season (so four times a year) unless they have a skin condition and need it more often/or just get dirty.
It keeps their coats clean and shiny. Mine are better than our dogs about getting baths
I also bathe my foster kittens (depending on age/situation) quite often to keep them clean. I have never had problems bathing a kitty- it's very easy
Just keep them scruffed and make sure the water isn't too hot/cold. Towel dry them as best they can and then let them lick themselves dry. OR put them under a clothes basket and use your hair dryer on a low setting- being careful not to burn them. Also be sure not to use store brand flea collars- they contain many aweful chemicals/etc that can make kitty VERY sick. Instead- you need to use Feline Frontline or Feline Advangate- both are EXCELLENT quality products that work well.