do you always feed your cat the same thing?

yangdemei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

That's exactly the point I stress to all my adopters! It's a lot easier to convince a healthy youngster to try something new than it is to get a grumpy 14-year-old who's just been diagnosed with kidney disease and doesn't feel well to do the same!
I so wish this worked for Mitts. I've tried a whole bunch of different foods, some free samples from the pet store, some purchased.

He will only eat Science Diet for Kittens.

kitty's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually feed Kitty what I can find on sale. She seems to like a generic brand from the Dollar General store. It's only $1.50 a bag. Sometimes, when I have some extra money, I buy her other things to try. She's eating Meow Mix right now. I try to keep her on the same thing because I've heard you're supposed to with cats, but I could've heard wrong. I don't feed her any table food, because I don't know if it's good for cats. Does anyone have a more definitive answer on "table food" for cats? I've caught her "cleaning" my plates after I've put them into the sink and it doesn't seem to hurt her any. Sometimes I mix in a little canned food with her dry food and she loves that.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I switch foods every few months. Buffy and Willow have been on California Natural since June, but they tried Innova for a month and Innova EVO for 2-3 weeks since then. I'd used CA Natural for a few months, then tried Innova for a month and didn't like it, so went back to CA Natural. A few months later I tried EVO but switched back to CA Natural after the bag ran out (didn't like how fast the bag ran out, plus I've been hearing too many things about the high ash content). Next month I'm going to be trying Felidae, and hopefully they like it and do well on it.

For canned food, I buy a varied selection. I mostly buy Merrick, but occationally buy Solid Gold and a few other brands when I see them and think "Oh, how cool!". When I buy the Felidae, I'm going to get some cans of Felidae, as well as some cans of California Natural and Nature's Variety Prairie, if I can find it.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always feed Reilly the same brand and I won't change it. He gets a variety of flavours but I think that changing the brand would make him too picky.

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sluggo and Pandora are now on Nature's Prairie kibble and raw food. It took a couple of different high quality brands to find the "just right" one. They always have kibble available, but twice a day they get a raw meat medallion. I switch the kinds of meat every 2 weeks. Gives them variety. I've tried canned types of food, but always gives my cats diahrrea. The raw diet is the only food I've found to agree with their digestive systems.

lisakmusco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In general my cats eat the same thing all the time. My vet said changing constantly can upset their stomachs. So, they get the same dry food always, and mixed with it is one of two brands of wet food. It seems to work.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically yes - I do once in a while get a different kind of Iams but its still Iams. The only "extra" they get is a bit of cooked chicken or such.

One warning tho - never feed your cat a steady diet of fish. They will get hooked on it and refuse most other foods. So if you are feeding canned, make sure you stick to mainly beef, chicken, liver, or lamb and once in awhile fish.

Some of my rex kittens NEVER got any fish when young and some didn't even want fish when older. They were raised basically on canned chicken or beef and occasional lamb.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

I rotate between a variety of extremely high quality foods. A major goal for me is to keep them from getting picky. I also avoid grocery store brands, both because of the quality and because they are much tastier than most premium brands so again they tend to encourage finickiness.
Pretty much the same philosophy here, though Jamie is extreme in his desire for variety. I have to have at least three different dry foods available for breakfast at any given time, i.e., every week, and replace them after about three months (he's currently alternating between Felidae, Nutro and Eagle Pack Holistic). He gets canned in the evening - a variety of flavors, and several different brands, mainly European. His criteria are: small cans only (2 or 3 oz)., and meat and/or fish in spring water or jelly, with no more than 1% or 2% natural rice.
ZsaZsa got one food only in her previous homes, but once I started to feed her, she also developed a liking for variety and small cans only.
I've experienced brands becoming completely unavailable in Europe (Innova and California Natural) or unavailable for weeks or months (Solid Gold, Serengeti, Dick van Patten's, and at one time Nutro), so even if the cats didn't want variety, I'd have to insist on it.