do these cornish rexes meet their breed standard? if so how well? and

hound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and how long does it usually take for the curls to develop?

asking here because i THINK it still can fall under this one as i am asking type..that and i cant ask under the other forum as of yet. when i was looking for reputable breeders i looked first at the pups produced previously and found the owners and asked them their experience with the breeder this what i am doing now but with cats. working on contacting kitten owners (waiting for calls/emails back)

breeder is CFA 

and meets the other qualifications of a reputable breeder that one should address.

thank you for your understanding i am trying to learn..

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way of knowing is if the breeder shows.  It's really hard (e.g. almost impossible) to assess a cat from a photo - for example the ones you have posted don't show their body type well - length, shape, tail, leg length, coat texture...

However the last one looks to have eyes that are too round - they should be oval - and to be a bit short in the nose.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
However the last one looks to have eyes that are too round - they should be oval - and to be a bit short in the nose.
If you hadnt said they were both cornish, I would guess on a devon here.

Round eyes MAY be because he felt stressed.

The other is more clear cut a cornish.

It is easier to assess, if the pics are of good quality and several.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
those are actually 4 different cats lol um let me see i am going off of pictures i have found from this breeder and those who have bought from her so i cant really pick and choose the quality so i will add some more for you guys/girls to look at and just tell me the overall idea you have. and from showing dogs i know that a person showing them means something but not everything thats why i ask =] i know a few dog show people that show dogs i wouldnt consider to meet the standard, nor do many judges but some do and thats how she gets points she breeds i dont agree with it but she does and i still dont consider them standard i am sure there are many of those people in the cat world as well.

to show some of the body this is a video of two cats from this breeder

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most kittens a breeder produces won't be show quality. Are you planning to show? If not, an out-of-standard well-bred kitten is just as good as a show-quality one :).

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its also hard as this is a rare breed - I've only seen a handful in20 years of going to shows, and I never stewarded for a judge with one in their book.

Seriously, if you want show quality you need to start going to shows and talking to people with crs so you can start to get your eye in.

hound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that was actually how i met some breeders of devons and cornish rexes 1 breeder was from several states away.. the other was a local devon breeder (another breed i am interested in) i looked her up on google and...found at least 5 rip off reports involving diseases and deformities (i would have taken 1-2 complaints with a grain of salt...but 5+?..no)=/ i asked one woman and she said she knew about this hobby breeder and sent me to the woman who produced the cats i showed on here.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Caveat: As OS said, it can be difficult to assess a cat from a photo. You don't know if that angle is a true representation of their conformation. A video with cats moving fast is not very easy either, though at least you can try to pause it. Also, most every breeder will have some kittens that aren't show quality .

That said.... These didn't look like show quality Cornish Rex to me. and I have seen some very high ranked CR show cats and listened to judges' comments . But, although I like this breed, I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert, so I asked someone who used to breed and show them to take a look at the photos, too. She said they were decent looking pet quality but if you want show quality you should probably look elsewhere. I think what she meant is that they probably don't have disqualifying faults, but they don't conform to the standard enough to do well.

Some of them do remind me a bit of Devon Rexes. In the first post , coat looks pretty good on the blue and white cat in the first photo . the 2nd Blue and White in photo by himself seems to have a good ear set . The head might be pretty good, it looks a bit too short but might be the angle since cat is looking up. The solid Blue looks like he might be pretty decent. maybe too much of a whisker pinch if I were to be picky. The bottom right photo of the Black kitten, I agree muzzle looks too short , and also ear set is way, way too wide. The muzzle also looks short / head looks wrong on the last cat, looks like it is too much a modified wedge , not the long narrow oval it should be, though as I said the angle of a photo can sometimes be deceptive. The ears look too small on several of the cats. These are supposed to have dramatic ears. One of the best is probably the Black and White in the full body profile view under the video.

They're basically supposed to have an egg shaped head - both seen from the front and the side, it should be smooth ovals. and a high ear set and strikingly large ears. The body is supposed to be like a Greyhound, with long legs, even longer back legs, and a distinct tuck-up of the belly. Coat should be in marcel-like waves and very soft.

You are right there's politics involved in showing cats just like showing dogs. so sometimes a title doesn't tell the whole story. But it's certainly part of the story. so if looking for show quality, especially if you are not yet very confident of your own knowledge of the standard, I would be looking among the breeders whose cats are being shown and doing well. That means in CFA you preferably want to see some Grand Champions , and it would be nice to have Regional Winners and maybe even National Winners . In TICA you want to see GC and some upper- level Grands DGC TGC or QGC, better yet SGC. and would be nice to seealso Regional Winner , or even International Winner. But keep in mind the awards RW and esp. NW (CFA) or IW (TICA) are also about who has the time and money to campaign the cat. (In TICA the Champion title is often a little more meaningful than in CFA. The TICA Grand Champion title is easier than CFA, but then they have a series of higher titles -- Double, Triple and Quadruple Grand, and finally Supreme grand Champion which is harder to get than a CFA Grand because the cat has to first get to QGC, and then have a judge give them Best Cat in a show.

You could contact Mike V. - e -mail at this link http://www.ticagreatlakes.com/officers.htm He's had several successful show CR. so you might ask for advice on getting a CR for show. For example on this page you can see their cat Tenderclaws Martin of Kingsransom, who was top CR in TICA and an International Winner. http://www.tica.org/public/breeds/2011/2011_breeds.php ( cats are in order of breeds) here is where Martin is from (Michigan) http://www.donnakimber.com/cornish-rex-contact-us.html

here is one in Louisiana http://creolecornishrex.homestead.com/

here is a breeder in TN http://www.spiritcat.net/

See the coats of most of these? how it is in marcel waves? this is how they should look . you can also see bbody type on these cats. For a negative example, look at the one named Rya - ears are too small. most of the others have good ears . http://www.dreamsongcats.com/cornish.htm

hound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
many thanks everyone =]

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip>

See the coats of most of these? how it is in marcel waves? this is how they should look .

<snip>
And it's a lovely effect.  The first CR I saw was black.  I've seen some black smoke and of late a chocolate tabby, but for me black shows the coat off best.  Chocolate self and to a slightly lesser degree cinnamon would as well.