Do the Feliway plug ins actually work?

meowfrau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a twelve week old calico kitten with some aggression issues (which we are working on!) who can also become extremely skittish and nervous. I'm wondering if these products would help calm her. If so, do I need to put them in every room? Thank you in advance! (And if there is a product you like better than Feliway, feel free to recommend!) 

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I've found they do with my current cats, although others have said they have no luck with them. They do take a good 2-3 weeks before you'll notice a difference, though. I tend to put one in the main rooms my cats will be in, for example, when we used them for Freya, they were in the office, living room and bedroom because that was where she spent most of her time. Since you're working with aggression, if you didn't want to do the whole house you might be able to just do the rooms that your kitten is the most nervous in.

I'm sure others will be along soon with their thoughts - I know quite a few of our members use Feliway or something similar.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have found Feliway to work well, but it does mean having them in all rooms where the cat will be.  I have also used the spray in rooms where I don't have a plug in. 

I have a territorial aggressive cat who was a former feral.  I brought him into the house last year and he had alot of issues with my resident cat.  I used the feliways and the spray which both helped.  I also used Composure feline treats for awhile, but then switched to Composure liquid max which I mixed into the wet food.  It was a wonderful drug free calming product.  My boy still gets it today.

dohdeelicious

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long before I ever had a cat I heard great things about Feliway. I picked up a plug-in diffuser and was eager to have it help with bringing calm to my cats during the introduction period.

Unfortunately, the unit began to give off an odor of burning plastic after 8 or 9 days. It took me a couple of days to figure out what was creating the stink. I unplugged it and it's now sitting in the closet as a paperweight for old washcloths.

Maybe the spray? Or maybe my unit was/is defective.