Do people think you are crazy?

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, and would like more, but I really don't have a lot of space. And it's expensive enough to properly care for 2. I will also always have cats, they are too great. There is a mangy looking cat that has been wandering in the alley behind my house lately. If it weren't for my 2, I'd take him/her in. I'm just too worried about diseases and upsetting my 2 princesses.

Sue, I can relate to your mom situation. My mom always used to make comments, and then wonder why I got so defensive. She actually acted as if I was doing something wrong. I wish I'd had the guts to tell her she could say those things when she was paying my rent, etc, but I never did. Luckily, she stopped. She can still think whatever she wants, as long as she keeps quiet about my cleaning.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People think I'm bonkers yes, We only have 9 cats living here but my Nana and I breed them, we have heaps, Even once someone said, Eww yuck cats are dirty posh yuck animals, NOONE EVER!! says anything nasty about my cats or I tell them what I think back, My cats are everything too me, I carry pix of them around in my wallet have pix of them all over my books on my clothes, I'm cat crazy and I love it, My school friends think I'm nuts and once someone said, Ewwwww you smell like jellymeat go run into a fall like your ugly cats , OMG
that really upset me. One person saying they like my cat, really presses another button though, I love compliments about my pusscats, That's why I love this site so much, We are all nice peole and we LOVE cats, I honestly don't know where I'd be w/o them

Hope ya'll feel the same way
, Sam

cherry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by katl8e
My mom can't say much, about my three cats - SHE has 5 dogs.
Nice!
I have 4 cats (12 at the moment with all the kittens) and 2 dogs. Aòâ I don't bother what do other people think and do - I can see you, who always understand me and help if nessesary

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh--did I mention that I have 3 pictures of each of my cats on my desk, but only one of my stepson and 2 of my husband?

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad Ericka. At my last job, I had 5 pictures Spike in frames at my desk. After awhile, I brought in pictures of my friends, bf and family so I didn't look like I was a completely crazy cat lady.

foofy cat lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having three cats makes me wonder why people would want to have kids.

I don't have to worry about putting my cats through college, or whether they're on drugs or not. I don't have to drive my cats to soccer practice, or wonder who they're hanging out with. Cats don't need furniture - My couch is enough. I'm an Ebayer, and I play guitar, so the living room is always full of boxes and guitar cases and amps - It's a jungle gym for these guys. Cats don't need the coolest shoes or the funky new haircut. I can be fairly certain that my cats will never drop out of college to follow a band on tour, or move 1200 miles away with their internet boyfriend. (Thank god - they don't need to follow in my footsteps..
)

Find me any child that'll play with one packing peanut for two hours, and you'll change my mind.

I think this mindset qualifies me to be a wierdo cat lady, doesn't it? Unlike the stereotype, I don't wear my hair in a bun or live on a hill, and I've had a fair share of boyfriends strolling my life. Well, maybe I do live on a hill.

seagull

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Foofy Cat Lady
I think this mindset qualifies me to be a wierdo cat lady, doesn't it?
LOL
I hate to be the one to tell you, but according to this Pet owners who love too much I am afraid it does

If it is any consolation, I qualify as well (no kids, three cats and no desire to change any of it)

A few examples of behaviour that according to the article may qualify as obsessive:
- carrying photo's of your pets in your wallet
- celebrating your pets birthday
- having cats while you do not date, and do not get married

Need I tell anyone that I am guilty as charged.
OK, maybe I don't really celebrate my animals birthdays, but I do have them in my agenda.
For those who'd like to know, yesterday was my horses 9th birthday

A quote:
And when people fixate on the pet, they can become more isolated—because others donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get it. Dr. Hayes-Gary has had to hospitalize patients because of suicidal reactions or extreme depression resulting from the death of a pet. "Theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re going around all the time saying, ‘My cat died,â€[emoji]8482[/emoji] and people are saying ‘Get over it,â€[emoji]8482[/emoji]" she said. "Most people donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t identify that much with their pets."
I wasn't suicidal or despressed, but it took me a year to get over my last cats death. I do not find that in any way unusual or obsessive.

Maybe I am interpreting it incorrectly, but the sentence that really made me angry was:
Dr. Hayes-Gary emphasized that in most cases, pets were a positive thing—that stepping stone people needed to move on, to human relationships
What does he mean stepping stone? Are cats something you use when you're not in a relationship and then dump when you are?
I don't think so.

Well, enough ranting for one day.
I am curious how anyone else feels about this. Are we really all in need of therapy because we love our cats?

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I need therapy too!!LOL I love my kids and furbabies the same. We all talk to the cats and I make the kids appologize if they step on one accidentally. It teaches them manners and compassion.

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The people in THAT article need some therapy!

My cats are not stepping stones--Toes actually saved my life when I was suicidal, the man in my life was making it worse. So which is better humans or animals?

Quite frankly--we wouldn't need animals if humans were half-way decent with one another and could do things on their own.

As for what would the kids think if they were compared to a ball of fur with a tongue lolling out of it? I'm flattered.

I don't need vets like that--I'm glad the vets we've had were just as "crazy" as I am. Why'd those people become vets anyhow?

EESSHHHH!!!!

That's like a person not liking kids becoming a pediatrician.

seagull

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by TTMom
I don't need vets like that--I'm glad the vets we've had were just as "crazy" as I am. Why'd those people become vets anyhow?
I am not sure if the writers are vets. I thought they were psychologists.

But whatever they are, they are way off.

I agree with you on the vets. I would never trust a vet that didn't care.
It is not always easy to judge a situation.
So, I need to know that the vet always has the best interest of the animal in mind.
You don't want a vet to give up too soon, but you also don't want him to prolong suffering just so he can squeeze a few extra bucks out of you.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean I'm not crazy? Hmmmmm, now I just have convince my hubby of that!

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think any of us are crazy (at least not because of the cat/love thing we've got going on). I think we're actually closer to being sane than anybody else on the planet (and they just haven't realized it yet).

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would agree! I have insisted for years that anyone who didn't like cats (unless they had a valid reason, such as being attacked as a child by one) was not someone I would ever like. I guess I have too many catlike traits in my personality!