Do people really need this reminder?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I can sympathize with your fears, and I try to do what I can not to upset people.

As to the size, I am amazed that people will look me in the eye, then pull out in front of me or stop short in front of me. If they could imagine what their car would look like after it got hit by 30 Toyotas, one after the other, then they might have some comprehension of what their car would look like after I hit them.
It's simple physics. Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion. And the more the mass, the harder it is to slow it down.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought of this thread this morning driving to work.

I always go to the #2 lane since I don't have to contend with people merging. I was in that lane this morning when a diesel merged in the lane next to me. I had passed him since I was driving faster. He sped up and has pulled a bit ahead of me. I was just about to the cab, when he put on his blinkers to change lanes. Since I was almost past him I sped up a bit so he could change lanes behind me. That
jerk sped up and started to change lanes right into me! He knew I was there! I had to put on my breaks and slow way down to avoid an accident! He just passed the truck in front of him and changed back into that lane.

It is bad out here in Cali where a lot of truckers think they own the roads. I have seen them cut cars off. And there was one several years ago that was parked in the #1 lane of a surface street. White truck, very dense Tuli FOG, no hazard lights flashing. DH almost ran into the back of him but saw him just in time. I hope you don't take any offense Mike since I do know that there are a lot of good truckers out there, but the few bad ones give you all a bad name

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yielding is my pet peeve. I hate it when people come to a complete stop on the ramp and it makes it harder for everyone behind them to merge because they have to speed up and won't make it to interstate speed in time for the merge.

Here in Maine all our on ramps are straight and there's no reason for coming to a stop. Granted there's some ramps that are too short but most of them are totally long enough.

A couple years ago there was a white trailer truck jack knifed in the middle of the interstate in a snow storm. There was no way I could stop, I was almost on top of it and was actually contemplating if I could drive under it....but I made it around it....it was scary!

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OH! Can I get in on this driving rant? lol...

Merging..It sounds easy enough all you got to do is leave a car length in front of you to let a person in. It's not that hard. You will still get to where you are going. Yesterday I was coming home on the freeway and I have to exit only to merge onto another freeway. I looked to my left, and not one person is leaving enough space for cars to get in. I finally laid on my horn! If it wasn't so cold out I would have yelled out my window "MERGE PEOPLE!!!" This route cause one of the biggest back up because people don't know how to merge. It's so easy. It's like a zipper! I always let people in when they need to merge on freeway. Only one, maybe two. That's it, no more or less..Traffic has to keep moving.

The fast lane. If you are not passing anyone you do not need to be in this lane. There is a reason for it being called the "fast lane". Look in your rear view mirror. If you got more than three cars behind you. Get over so they can pass.

OMG..There is so much more I can gripe about but off to work I go.

Wait..one more. FOUR WAY STOPS! Do not flag me to go before you. If you were there first, then go FIRST! I see people all the time at four way stops looking confused and dumb as if they had never seen one before. RULE: The person there first get's to go first, the person there second, gets to go second and so on! It's not rocket science!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mrblanche-I am not sure if you are familiar with the on-ramp at I-10 and 610 (near the Budweiser plant)...when drivers are coming from the Ship Channel bridge and merge onto I-10, they love to come to complete stop (since it doesn't have an accleration lane) before entering which results in many wreaks. I avoid that on-ramp and take old 90 all the home. It's a mess out there right now! Be careful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

mrblanche-I am not sure if you are familiar with the on-ramp at I-10 and 610 (near the Budweiser plant)...when drivers are coming from the Ship Channel bridge and merge onto I-10, they love to come to complete stop (since it doesn't have an accleration lane) before entering which results in many wreaks. I avoid that on-ramp and take old 90 all the home. It's a mess out there right now! Be careful!
Yeah, there are a lot of intersections that just were never designed right.

Pennsylvania is the worst state I know of for people stopping at the end of the ramp. Of course, it doesn't help that some of the highways actually have stop signs there!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I'm out and about driving all day, so I have a lot of sympathy for you!

Do you have to deal with roundabouts? OMG, they put a lot in here over the last couple of years, and people are completely clueless about how to use them. No idea about giving way! How stupid do you have to be to think it's OK to just drive out into oncoming traffic just because you don't understand the concept of a roundabout? It doesn't change the laws of physics!! I'm amazed there aren't more accidents there, especially now in winter.
Originally Posted by Pami

OMG roundabouts are not easy. We have only one where I live and its in the middle of a metropolitan neighborhood, but when I was in London, they had them everywhere. OMG I would start to panic as I approached
or it was because I felt like I was driving from the passenger seat AND approaching a roundabout
Continental Europe has gone roundabout-crazy, too. I've finally gotten used to them, and appreciate how smoothly the traffic flows at formerly horrid intersections, but I just wish people would signal when they're going to leave the roundabout, not enter it! And don't get me started on "roundabout art", which just makes it more difficult to judge when you can enter, because the view around the bend is obstructed.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Continental Europe has gone roundabout-crazy, too. I've finally gotten used to them, and appreciate how smoothly the traffic flows at formerly horrid intersections, but I just wish people would signal when they're going to leave the roundabout, not enter it! And don't get me started on "roundabout art", which just makes it more difficult to judge when you can enter, because the view around the bend is obstructed.
There is a road in our city that is in desperate need of a new paving job, and with that, they're going to put TWO roundabouts in at four-way stops. This city isn't used to roundabouts, so this ought to be fun.