Do overthecounter Dewormers really work?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do overthecounter Dewormers really work?

i have heard and read over-the-counter De-wormers for cats do not really work?

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speaj for anyone else, but I have actually used them on Sasha for 13 years now and he is strong as an ox and never sick or ill a day in his life. He has very few furballs and cough-ups, his poop looks great. I used them on his mama, and she was at least 11. So......I can't say I've had a bad experience at all.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NO- they generally do not work, and can also get your cat sick. De wormers are based on body weight of your cat and what types of worms the cat has. A vet is your safest choice-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

NO- they generally do not work, and can also get your cat sick. De wormers are based on body weight of your cat and what types of worms the cat has. A vet is your safest choice-
i was actually thinking of posting,also the directions on dewormers are actually quite poor.

1)they always say 'a taste cat will like'. WRONG
2)the liquid dewormer: they provide a small cup,RIGHTTT,like the cat
is going to open wide while i pour from the cup into her/his mouth. i
use a eye dropper. also the liquid dose cup they provide holds about 4 times the amount of one dose,so one has to be careful

SO HOW do vets dewormer a cat better??

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for one they use a better brand of dewormer. we use a pill called drontal or drontal plus. you cannot buy that in any old pet store. it is only from a vet.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

for one they use a better brand of dewormer. we use a pill called drontal or drontal plus. you cannot buy that in any old pet store. it is only from a vet.
so the OTC dewormer is a complete waste?

alisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by empirefalls

so the OTC dewormer is a complete waste?
I wont say a complete waste because ive never used it, but i rather go to my vet. I just got my kittens dewormed yesterday by the vet, who administered a pill to both kittens based on their weight and type of worm problem. I always think its best to consult your vet first before trying OTC products on your pets.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alisa

I wont say a complete waste because ive never used it, but i rather go to my vet. I just got my kittens dewormed yesterday by the vet, who administered a pill to both kittens based on their weight and type of worm problem. I always think its best to consult your vet first before trying OTC products on your pets.
a cat visit now costs $45 a visit,i have 3 cats. i really cant afford to bring my cats to the vet for every health reason. from what i perceive,treatment of worms is not that difficult and something effective should be offered oTC

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your vet, they may not need a visit. Just ask to bring in a stool sample, based on that they will give you the right medicine. Also, to kill worms, you need to dose several times, so the chance of damage from the wrong thing increases.

I just picked up a bottle of Strongid from my vet, they didn't even require a stool sample! Cost less than $9 for 2 dogs and 2 cats!

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have your cat dewormed regularly, all you need to tell the vet or vet assistant is the weight of all cats involved and you purchase the tablets without the need for a consultation fee.

A good vet will insist upon seeing your cats first before dosing anything out if they have not seen your cats beforehand. At least that way they and your cats can be assured that they are getting the best help.

I would not buy over the counter medications. There are generally less controls on them than the ones available from your vet. Also, the over the counter products do not cater for all worms out there and there are different treatments for different worms.

In addition to this, the packaging always insist on consulting a vet if symptoms persist. So visiting a vet is the best option for deworming treatments, and the best place for any potential health problems to be picked up in the early stages that you may be unaware of.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your cat is an inside cat and you keep it safely de-fleaed worms should not be a problem.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, i called the vet,visited and was given "drontal cat" for my 3 cats,according to thier weight. i did not have to bring the cats in

any infor on this drug? it cost me $5 a tablet($30 bill). it is suppose to be a pill for all type of worms.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
chloe is an indoor kitty and she got worms--from the groomer!!
needless to say, she isnt going back there.

alisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kitten is an indoor cat as well but when i originally got him, the same time i had him treated for flees, he had time digest a flee and worms didnt show up till a month later.