Do not understand New shelter kitty

mylucylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have always owned dogs,however some time ago I became disabled and did not replace my dog when she passed. Then one day a friend brought me a male kitten that was supposed to be 6 weeks old but my vet said he was closet to 4 weeks old. It was love at 1st sight and I named him Shadow because he followed me everywhere.he slept with me every night and would be in bed with me when I woke.
Then the week before this last thanksgiving I woke up and he wasn't there with me. I called to him but no shadow. I knew right away something was wrong. I found him under the bed and he was already gone.I was completely devastated.
Although I have never been one to immediately replace a pet my grief was completely overwhelming me and my mom urged me to get a new pet so I let her take me to a local shelter a week ago and I adopted a 8 month old female kitten I named Lucy.the shelter ppl said she had been brought in by a lady who had been seeing her outside her home.she had been in the shelter for a month.
I brought Lucy home the day after they spayed her although it was a 45 minute drive she was very good. When I took her out of the box she got up beside me. She has'm hid once,likes to lay on my lap or on the couch or near me on floor.
I put her litter box in the bathroom but the time she'll use it is if I take her to it,otherwise she uses my furniture. So at night I've been putting her in the bathroom and she will use her box overnight. I called the shelter and they think it's because of the shredded paper and that she will be fine once I can use litter.
Lucy also sleeps ALL the time. She will wake up to eat and drink water and then it's right back to sleep. She will also become fully alert if I make myself something to eat and becomes very aggressive in trying to get my food. She doesn't seem to recognize toys or play ( which just breaks my heart). I've tried all the tricks that used to excite Shadow with no luck.
I read several posts on here about FIP and she does have a vet appt on tuesday.her appetite is good she doesn't cry when going potty and her fur looks good but now I'm simply terrified about this whole FIP thing. My mom thinks I should take her back but there is no way I am going to let this kitten die in a cage IF there is anything wrong with her.
Has anyone had a similar case where it was something other than FIP

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
8 month olds are still quite playful and curious, they need to keep their minds busy, but will also nap often throughout the day.

The lack of playing and constant sleeping is a bit concerning.

I'm glad she will see a vet in a couple days, I also worry about fip when there has been extra stress in their lives, as she has had with being stuck at a shelter for a month.

Temporarily I would cover your furniture up with sheets or something, and add extra boxes around nearby anywhere you two are in the house.

Rather than placing it in the bathroom, which ultimately you can do, but for now get her faithful to preferring the box instead of any place else.

Be sure the spots where she has gone so far are thoroughly cleaned, no scent left behind to remind her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mylucylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did cover my furniture and bought a live enzyme based cleaner and scrubbed furniture with it. I did wonder about another box but as I have a small 1 bedroom place with open living room/kitchen I just don't know where I would put it ( my bathroom is thru bedrm).altho if putting litter in her box doesn't draw her to it I will figure it out.besides the play/sleep issue the litter box issue has me really worried. I had a few friends years ago who had cats that always had litter box issues. Her going on my furniture is the only reason I would even consider giving her up so I am really hoping she'll come around

mylucylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And thank you for your very quick reply

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why are you using shredded paper in the litter box?  That might be the whole problem right there.

mylucylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The shelter told me to use paperfor 10 days because of the risk of infection. That threw me too because I wasn't told that with shadow - I just thought maybe it was because he was a male. Tomorrow will be the 10th day and I already have a container of litter next to the box and fingers crossed

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it was just for a spay, I've never had to change or use different litter with my kitties.  I'd go ahead and change it out and see if that helps.  Also, you might want to add an additional litter box in your house somewhere for her.

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're worried about where to put another litter box, there's furniture at lots of pet stores meant to hide them. I've even seen one that looks like a potted plant.
I've got a tiny 1-br too, I've got one box in my bedroom and one in a corner of the living room under an end table. If I keep them clean, they usually don't smell too much. :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The extra box or boxes won't be for long, the key is getting her using them faithfully, then to locate a single box in a local spot with easy access :)

mylucylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of your answers. Little over an hour ago she wandered into my bedroom and curled up on a shirt that fell out of the laundry basket. It made me nervous ( my bed is one place she hasn't pottied on) but I left her alone. Bat 15 minutes ago I went to peek in on her and she was coming out of bathroom...where she had pooped and speed in her box. Yayyy Lucy Lou [emoji]128512[/emoji]

mylucylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took Lucy to vet today. Pointed out what I had noticed and was worried about. She is has very high fever and is very dehydrated. They gave her an I.V. with fluids and antibiotics and then an oral dose of antibiotics. Also gave me antibiotics to bring home. She has another appt on Friday. Her pee and poop analysis came back ok. Vet not sure what is going on. But said she's been sick for awhile and was already sick when I brought her home. I am pretty upset at the shelter vet but not sure just how upset I should be. I mean my vet took one look at her and knew she was badly dehydrated and the shelter vet had spayed her the day before I brought her home. Shouldn't he have seen it too? I am just worried sick [emoji]128549[/emoji]

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how I hate to say this but I really fear it is FIP. 

The thing about FIP is there is no diagnosis confirmation, no test to accurately say it is or is not.

I sure do hope not, not only for the poor little punkin kitten but for you to lose yet another?! Wow.....

Antibiotics are a helpful indicator, an FIP caused fever will not be affected by the antibiotics. 

2 days from now if the fever is still going on, well you know it's not an infection that is able to respond. Kittens don't take more than a couple days of med to take hold and get them feeling much better.

Oh I know how scary this must be for you!!  

Did the vet happen to mention FIP is possible?

mylucylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually I brought FIP up first and yeah then she told me that there is not a test for it. Somebody needs to get busy! And if so I just don't know how I'm going to deal with it, but deal with it I will for Lucy's sake. A relative wants me to take her back to shelter, not out of meanness but to spare myself the grief coming so soon after shadow. But I absolutely refuse!!!! For some reason I was chosen for this kitten and if it is her time to go then she will go in my arms and NOT in a cage.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very brave and Lucy is very lucky to have you! I hope you have someone who is good to talk to just to help you through this. If you feel up to it you can contact the shelter and let someone know the condition your cat was in under their care, so maybe they'll be less likely to make the same errors. They do sound very irresponsible unfortunately.

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really, truly hope that it turns out to be something else. I just lost my baby a few weeks ago to FIP, and it's awful.
Sending good vibes your way! Good luck to you and little Lucy.

mylucylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thx molly I am going to call shelter but I think ill give it a few days cause I am really upset and I do have a sis in law who has been very supportive since shadows death unfortunately we can only talk by phone. My family who lives near me doesn't quite get it - to them their dogs are just dogs but my pets are my babies and in the short time I've had Lucy she has already managed to wrap me around her little paw

mylucylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thx eck1kaylie. I am sorry for your loss and hope you find comfort in good memories of your baby

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of switching to paper litter after a spay? I'd bet that's what is throwing her off. Give her the same litter the shelter was using, if that doesn't do it try tossing a handful or two of dirt from outside into it. If she lived outside for awhile she'll be used to going in soil. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, unless I am forgetting something I read prior, I don't see the shelter as being at fault really.

It would be very hard to notice something brewing in her until the signs became obvious, not eating, etc.

Shelters are often staffed with underpaid, overworked staff, with so many animals to care for, often times the only time the animals get one on one care besides their cage cleaning daily, is if there are volunteers who come and socialize with them.

It's sad I know, which is why it's so important to encourage shelters for adopting.

The animals are in a highly stressful environment as it is, which will cause things like FIP or ringworm to pop up, since they are directly related to a lowered immune system, caused directly from stress.

What the shelter will offer aside from an apology is another kitty at no cost.

This is not a replacement by no means of course, but it's really all they can do.

Still hoping it is not FIP........

Poor little punkin baby :(

I love that you will care for her regardless, despite the pain and grief involved for you.

It's so unfair, such a sweet and innocent little girl......