Do not buy Temptations Cat Treats, They are slowly killing your cats & Whiskas is not doing anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats immediately throw up on these treats...I bought them and all three could not take them without throwing up. I gave treats away thinking maybe allergy or something to what was in them. My daughter said her cats loved them. I tried them again about a year later, same thing throwing up. I agree there is something in them causing this.
I agree 100%. And I can't understand anyone buying these, knowing the huge volume of data out there showing the same thing.

Mogwai3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just signed up so I could log in and add to the data pool that is the internet.

I have a 4 year old cat with acute renal failure, presenting like lymphoma but not confirmed after testing. No other organs affected, either. Came on suddenly, out of nowhere, he is on supportive IV fluids and not improving very quickly.

He was healthy and boisterous, loved these treats, and i got them for him for about 6 months.

Its true that there could be another cause for this, but this was notable to me. I would caution you all that it is not worth the risk. There are several more natural options available that he also liked, and I am personally heartbroken when I consider the possibility that this could have been avoided.

Last edited by a moderator:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a 4 year old cat with acute renal failure, presenting like lymphoma but not confirmed after testing. No other organs affected, either. Came on suddenly, out of nowhere, he is on supportive IV fluids and not improving very quickly.

He was healthy and boisterous, loved these treats, and i got them for him for about 6 months.

Its true that there could be another cause for this, but this was notable to me. I would caution you all that it is not worth the risk. There are several more natural options available that he also liked, and I am personally heartbroken when I consider the possibility that this could have been avoided.
M Mogwai3 , my empathy and my sympathy goes out to you and your sweet cat. Four years is way too young to be in renal failure, though I don't claim to be a veterinarian or an expert. And I agree with you absolutely. Something about this product makes cats addicted to it and anything that is that addictive cannot be good.
I will never buy them again. I love my cats too much to risk their health with something that has been *allegedly* implicated in so many health problems and worse.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

Acute renal failure (which is different from chronic kidney disease) wouldn't happen after giving these treats for six months. Acute is caused by something much more recent. Has your kitty gotten into anything toxic, like lilies or antifreeze? Or possibly does he have a kidney infection? They may also want to do an x-ray or ultrasound to see if there is anything wrong with the kidneys themselves.

Mogwai3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agreed, these are crap, regardless of whether they are causing these severe problems or not.

They did a promotion and a small bag just kind of "showed up." Could not believe how much he liked them.

Mogwai3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M Mogwai3 , my empathy and my sympathy goes out to you and your sweet cat. Four years is way too young to be in renal failure, though I don't claim to be a veterinarian or an expert. And I agree with you absolutely. Something about this product makes cats addicted to it and anything that is that addictive cannot be good.
I will never buy them again. I love my cats too much to risk their health with something that has been *allegedly* implicated in so many health problems and worse.
Thanks, and yes, there are too many decent options to risk it. He is home now after 3 days on fluids, seeing an oncologist tomorrow as i would like to know...the situation presents like lymphoma but is ONLY affecting the kidneys, and if a toxicity is absolutely not something typical like antifreeze, per a vet. I am placing his fundpage in the appropriate forum in case anyone wants to follow the findings or assist with his care.

Mogwai3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Acute renal failure (which is different from chronic kidney disease) wouldn't happen after giving these treats for six months. Acute is caused by something much more recent. Has your kitty gotten into anything toxic, like lilies or antifreeze? Or possibly does he have a kidney infection? They may also want to do an x-ray or ultrasound to see if there is anything wrong with the kidneys themselves.
Thats the thing...perhaps a bad batch of these treats? I don't know...but these things were sort of haunting me and I come online and find this...Def not antifreeze, per the vet. They ultrasounded the kidneys yesterday, as well as aspiration. Looks like lymohoma they say, but I read the reports and they sound pretty inconclusive. Idk. Its really a nightmare.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats the thing...perhaps a bad batch of these treats? I don't know...but these things were sort of haunting me and I come online and find this...Def not antifreeze, per the vet. They ultrasounded the kidneys yesterday, as well as aspiration. Looks like lymohoma they say, but I read the reports and they sound pretty inconclusive. Idk. Its really a nightmare.
It must be agonizing. *PRAYERS* ongoing! for him.

BlueTommySue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very true!

Also, people provide better healthcare for their cats. With more cats being seen by vets, you get more diagnoses of illness. Cats who 30-40 years ago would have just been a bit sick and died, are now seen by a professional and given a name for their illness.
Yes, I agree. I'm 46 and rescued my first stray when I was 4 years old. My family ALWAYS had anywhere from one to five cats. Back then, no one I knew had an "indoor" cat. My whole childhood I grew up believing that cats were wild creatures that lived long, adventurous, exciting, fun-filled lives. And when one decided to show up on our back porch, (invariably within days of losing one), it was because when they were tired and lonely and wanted to be loved. That they all chose to be ours just at the end. I suppose telling your small child this story made them swell with pride, that a beautiful, intelligent creature such as a cat, would choose to seek out ME to love and care for them when they knew their time was short. Because back then, like I said earlier, if someone said they had a cat that never went outdoors, I would have never believed them!! I thought (I knew!!) lol!! Cats CAME from outdoors!! Turns out that was only a story, outdoor cats never live a full life. Dogs, cars, sickness.. we know all too well. It was a rare day indeed to take one of our cats to the vet. Cats like that know things, and never burdened us with illness, or when it was their time. Cats were thought, more so than today, to be so self-sufficient that the care we give them today is, by leaps and bounds, more knowledgeable and complete. So, in keeping with what was said in the above comment, we are so much more involved in their healthcare, we never learned exactly what had happened to make our cats sick. I had the pleasure of owning my Mushie till the ripe old age of 19. That's 92 in human years!! He ate only Kit and Kaboodle dry. He despised wet food. He was never sick a day in his life. My friends called him cat-dog because he never left my side and listened as well as any good dog ever did. So can it be a particular brand/ingredient causing health issues?? Or a poorly timed coincident?? Or the fact that we now know an amazing amount more about our beautiful, soft, cute, and endearing best friend. Learning what I have, though, my girls eat Blue Buffalo dry, Fussie Cat wet, and Temptations. YES, Temptations!! Take care, my fellow Crazy Cat Ladies. Be well and love your cat.

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen at least two people mention "reports", has anyone found any scientific studies on this yet? Is it even being brought to the company or are people just posting reviews on these random sites everywhere claiming this? It seems like a giant fear spread to me. I can't find any studies or recalls or anything. IF you think your cat got sick from a food or treat you KEEP the suspected food and contact the company it is from. They NEED to know or they can't do anything. A bad batch sadly happens. They can not issue a recall if they don't get reports of issues with batch information.

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have fed my cats Temptations in the past, but I do notice that treats often upset his stomach, which obviously shouldn't happen when you're only giving them a few.

I now give him Wellness treats, which he does well with, but not often.

My cat was only 2 when he had urinary crystals-it was scary. My vet wanted to put him on what I consider a junk food diet of expensive vet food, namely dry kibble, but I refused & did my own research.

I stopped all kibble, & put him on an exclusively wet diet, fed him 3x a day instead of 2 to help keep the urinary tract flushed & clear, & kept water near.

Thank heavens it worked, & he has been clear ever since!

I would urge folks to do research on a wet vs dry diet. Especially if your cat eats all dry, & is not a big water drinker, they need moisture from their food.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen at least two people mention "reports", has anyone found any scientific studies on this yet? Is it even being brought to the company or are people just posting reviews on these random sites everywhere claiming this? It seems like a giant fear spread to me. I can't find any studies or recalls or anything. IF you think your cat got sick from a food or treat you KEEP the suspected food and contact the company it is from. They NEED to know or they can't do anything. A bad batch sadly happens. They can not issue a recall if they don't get reports of issues with batch information.
I completely agree with this. If your cat is getting sick, and you KNOW or SUSPECT it's from a certain treat/food, you need to save the package/can/container with the lot number and contact the company. They aren't able to fix a problem they don't know consumers are having.

On another note, I personally haven't had any problems with Temptations for my cats. They get a few a day, or every few days and seem fine with it. Twice they were also able to get to the 5th shelf of my bookcase where I keep the treats (and I'll never know how they got up there) and tipped over my 16oz container of temptations to the floor. They ate over 10oz! But other than one puking from eating too fast, which is normal for him, I didn't see any adverse side effects. That's not to say some cats won't be effected by Temptations in a negative way though. So please, if you notice consistent negative effects, get in contact with the company and tell them the lot number and symptoms. I don't know specifically about the company that manufactures Temptations, but hopefully most companies will compile consumer complaints and fix a product that is consistently under-performing.

Kathy Allen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone who owns a cat, if you are giving them Temptations Cat Treats PLEASE STOP IMMEDIATELY! It is causing kidney and renal failure, Some cats are affected by it right away, some it takes years of eating them, none the less they have connected this treat to renal failure, Look it up in consumer affairs website and you will see all those that lost their pets or has their pets and a ton of vet debt!
I have been feeding Whiskas Temtations chicken since I got my cat he is 13 2months old. He has been throwing up here and there for years. He threw up,stopped eating and drinking 5 days. I had to euthanize him. He was in Kidney failure.

Anyone who owns a cat, if you are giving them Temptations Cat Treats PLEASE STOP IMMEDIATELY! It is causing kidney and renal failure, Some cats are affected by it right away, some it takes years of eating them, none the less they have connected this treat to renal failure, Look it up in consumer affairs website and you will see all those that lost their pets or has their pets and a ton of vet debt!

Last edited by a moderator:

kittensarelions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While many of the people here are pointing out that there is no evidence and or no proof of these specific treats being an issue, I have a story that mirrors many of the others and I'm thoroughly convinced the Temptations treats are the cause. There may be other brands that are bad as well, I can't attest to those however.

I have (had) three cats, all of which ate these temptations treats. One cat was 5, the other 3, and one kitten. When the 3 year old suddenly developed a sickness, stopped eating and drinking, and wouldnt even eat a treat anymore, I became concerned. She died 2 days later from kidney failure according to the vet. The older cat also got sick at the same time, but pulled through, however she had permanent damage it appeared and her breathing was quick and shallow for the next month, until she also passed away. The kitten was also sick at the same time, suprisingly she lived with the help of medication from the vet, IV's everyday, and an appetite stimulant. I suspected that all three became sick from the same thing, which was the treats, however we did not know this at the time. We figured it could have been that they all got into something bad for them, played with the wrong mouse or shrew, who knows. When we lost 2 cats within a month, and the third lived we still weren't positive what it was. Not suspecting the treats at the time, one of our kids gave the kitten a few of the Temptations treats from the same bag that the others ate from. Within hours she was deathly sick again, and again we went to the vet. Brought the treats with us this time. The vet couldn't test them of course but had heard through their visits with other pet owners that this is a possible cause of the premature deaths of pets.

What I'm saying is this...while we have no empirical, verifiable evidence to link the two, the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. The pet food industry is NOT regulated like human foods, and therefore the possibility of bad things getting into the pet food or treats is much greater. I will remain firmly convinced that these treats killed my pets, and not knowing enough about them I continued to be a party in that. It will forever haunt me. I'm not advocating for going all natural with kittens, but more to be aware of what you are giving them and the potential risks. A 3-year old and 5-year old cat shouldn't die at such a young age. The cats in question aren't even related, all three were from various parts of the country. I tried to contact the Temptations makers, they never responded.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my boys dont get temptations anymore. They loved them. They now get greenies, although ive heard concerning reports about them also. i dont know what to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.