Do my cats neuter incisions look normal?

Ash_shayn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old male cat got neutered yesterday 11/10/22. He had got his cone off before we even got home so I had to modify it into a harness type thing. I know he has probably licked it a couple times before I modified the cone. I am a first time cat owner and have never dealt with this before and it is stressing me out. I kept him in a small bedroom with no furniture over night with his food, water, and litter box, plus lots of cozy blankets but I don’t think he has really slept or rested. He has been sleeping in my arms all morning and doesn’t want me to leave his side. The vet gave me three pains pills to give him over the next three days and he took one this morning. Just wondering if his incisions look like they are healing correctly?
4C1CA2E8-947A-429E-8C58-83FDD1D840D2.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi I'm not a vet but they look ok, but keep an eye on the one that's looking a little redder, on the left. Otherwise, you're doing a great job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ash_shayn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm not a vet but they look ok, but keep an eye on the one that's looking a little redder, on the left. Otherwise, you're doing a great job!
Thank you! The vet didn’t give me any instructions on how to care for him after surgery, so I have read about every article I can find about aftercare. Hopefully he heals perfectly fine!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Just wondering if his incisions look like they are healing correctly?
I'm replying you with the reply I commented in this thread :- is-it-infected.441264

The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.