Do momma cats remember their babies ?

catz77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had something interesting happen, my one cat was pacing around franticly. In watching her I noticed there was a cat outside and she was going from window to window to watch him. I was a little puzzled because this is not anything unusual around here, but she was just frantic, never seen her like this, she was looking at me crying, like to say help me get outside. When I opened the door most of the cats run, this one didn't. When my cat had a litter of kittens several yrs. ago, she had 3 and 2 survived. When the 2 were ready to go I gave them to my vet. for them to finds homes for them and when my cat realized they were gone she went into a deep depression, I almost went and got the kittens back, it was that bad, but the vet said she would get over it. She did, it took a long time, yes for a cat !!  Could this boy that was here tonight, be hers ? she has never reacted to any other cat like that, why now ? I am interested in finding something out about this.

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, how interesting. I don't know, perhaps someone else has had a similar experience? I have a momma cat with 3 kittens that I took in from my yard 6 years ago. 3 years ago, we moved and I kept the 3 kids & the momma stayed with my parents. I brought all 3 children back for a visit after 2 years of separation & the momma acted like they were strangers! She hissed and growled. Only 1 of the 3 children tried to go up to her, as if he remembered. So seems like the answer varies by situation. 

oleander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I highly doubt they were related... is your cat spayed? If not, then that may have been an intact male outside and your female may be in heat?

I trapped 4 kittens and their mother at my previous townhouse complex a few years ago. The kittens were about 8-ish weeks so we were able to socialize them, although it took months. We kept all 4 kittens as they bonded with us and acted feral around strangers. We had mom spayed and released her back outdoors where we fed her and had a little shelter for her. About 8 months later we bought a house and decided to re trap mom and bring her with us with the intention of releasing her at our new home after a long while so she had a chance to get used to the new location. Unfortunately, our new house which is very rural has a massive coyote population so mom wouldn't have lasted a day! We kept her inside and started socializing her. We slowly introduced her back to her kittens who were now about a year old. She HATES THEM. We can't even let her be in the same room as any of the 4. The have free range of the house and mom lives in our game room. If one of her kittens happens to follow us in, she is hissing, growling and swatting at them. It's been about a year and a half now that we have had mom here inside with us. She is completely socialized and very friendly now- makes biscuits on us anytime we are in the game room. But she still will have nothing to do with her 4 now adult kittens.