do kittens whiskers not keep up with their body?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know that cats whiskers tell them if they can fit into a spot or not. I have a 6 month old kitten that got stuck in the Bannister rails today. (I think she's ok but she clearly hurt her ribs a bit) we did the top part of the stairs with netting but didn't bother with the lower part because we didn't think they'd get into trouble on it (We're doing it tomorrow now lol) but i'm confused why she did it at all. her hips/back legs were way too wide to get thru. and she couldn't back back out because she'd gone on the outside edge of the stairs. she was about three feet up. her whiskers do not look like they are as long as they should be.

i'm wondering if there is something to be done. better supplements or something or if it's just part of fast growing. she's consistently been a pound over what they say a normal kitten should be at. 7 pounds at 6 months and still pretty thin. or if kittens just need to learn the hardway to listen to their whiskers or something? now I'm wondering what other small spots I need to be paranoid about lol. my husband has been really paranoid about letting them out of the basement which we have pretty much kitten proofed. I've been pushing hard to get them upstairs and with the family and then this happens lol. he gave me that I told you so look. I feel like if at 6 months come hell or high water they aren't introduced to normal family life it could mess them up. they aren't the basement cats yah know?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ha ha! Some kittens are just gregarious and get into jams! I had one who got herself in various little places that I sometimes had to get her out of and I think her whiskers were always normal length. They fold in and then they slither in. They learn though - some quicker than others. All those weird places she got stuck - she never did it again. It's just part of kittenhood and cat curiosity.
Also about her weight- don't worry about any chart or guideline too much. If she's not overweight then she's probably okay. Cats comes in all different sizes and body styles. One cat I had was tall but slim - called her a supermodel. Had other who were very petite. Then a study boy cat who had big bones. So just keep an eye on her waistline.
Lastly, I tend to agree with you about letting her explore the house but maybe only while you are both home until she's "trustworthy". That way you can watch and listen for her. If this is kind of her personality then she may be prone to getting herself into things. At least she's 7 lbs, not 1! I lost a foster kitten once (found later)!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ha ha! Some kittens are just gregarious and get into jams! I had one who got herself in various little places that I sometimes had to get her out of and I think her whiskers were always normal length. They fold in and then they slither in. They learn though - some quicker than others. All those weird places she got stuck - she never did it again. It's just part of kittenhood and cat curiosity.
Also about her weight- don't worry about any chart or guideline too much. If she's not overweight then she's probably okay. Cats comes in all different sizes and body styles. One cat I had was tall but slim - called her a supermodel. Had other who were very petite. Then a study boy cat who had big bones. So just keep an eye on her waistline.
Lastly, I tend to agree with you about letting her explore the house but maybe only while you are both home until she's "trustworthy". That way you can watch and listen for her. If this is kind of her personality then she may be prone to getting herself into things. At least she's 7 lbs, not 1! I lost a foster kitten once (found later)!

yeah I tihnk she's going to be a huge cat. the size is the main reason we originally kept them sequestered away in the kitten rooms. we have a 5000 sq ft house and we didn't want to lose them and we were afraid they'd hurt themselves trying to get on furniture and things. it's all hardwood. we're buying a ton of throw rugs but still. I thought she was big enough to stay out of this kind of trouble lol. we are doing what you suggested. basically after I have my coffee I've been letting them loose and my hubby has been going down with them to sleep with them at night. we still have plans to block off the kitchen and sun room from them but don't have the supplies yet. those two rooms truly are dangerous for babbies. our plan had been to give them unfettered full access when we get that all blocked off and the rest of the stairs blocked off. part of the problem is our 13 year old sib has been teaching them every naughty behavior he can think of. he's doing stuff in front of them that I haven't' seen done since he was young lol. he's life these are life skills humanz shup. lol but he has always been more agile than either one of them. they're lanky and awkward and at their age he wasn't really that lanky and was already as graceful as a ballerina .sibs are supposed to be big but he never got very big on the big cat scale. but tldr they can't yet do what he can do. he tries to show them how to get up to the highest area that you can get to as a cat and they fall 5 feet. pretty sure by blocking off kitchen and sunroom that will be mostly solved. lol. they have no interest in these things until he shows them things.

Last edited: