do I really need more than 1 litter box?

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lately I've been considering getting a 2nd cat cause I want to give my cat a playmate. I live in a small apartment though so I don't think I'll have enough space for extra ones. Can cats share boxes?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
They can, but it's not ideal.  And some cats just won't.  In fact some cats won't wee where they poo so that's two boxes right there!

Anne, who owns the site, has produced an E book on litterboxes and for the next day or so you can download it for free.. it answers just about any question you can think of!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because I didn't know much when I got my first cats I had 3 kittens share one litterbox. But I think the key to why that worked out so well was that they were all kittens, all at the same time. That may not work very well when you are asking 2 adult cats to share but it's possible. Can you put 2 litterboxes in the same area you have the 1st one? Even that would help.

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A little secret: I've been getting by with one box for over a year. BUT. And this is a HUGE BUT. These two cats have lived all their lives together and before coming here had spent most of the prior 7 months in a shelter cage together with one box. It's also a very large box and the cats are small although I don't think that's what makes it work.

So, while it can work in some circumstances, in the OP case I would not try it. Cats are territorial and the introduction would be stressful (at least for a short time) for both of them. You may be able to cut back to one box later but I wouldn't risk bringing a new cat in to existing cat household with only one box.

In a prior version of my cat household I witnessed two cats who didn't even like each other eventually share a box. They were here together about 4 years and never really got along but there was no inappropriate elimination ever. There was always a second box, but it was downstairs and my original cast got lazy when she found a more convenient one upstairs. Or got territorial, or a combination.

But anyway, at intro I would make sure there are at least two. The real theory is to have three boxes for two cats actually.

Last edited:

ravenclaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, as 2bcat says, the actual number of boxes you're supposed to have for two cats is three. So having only one is a real stretch. Sometimes people "cheat" and it works, but you're taking a risk. My feeling is that if you don't have room for at least two litter boxes, you don't have room for two cats.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If you decide to keep to one box (and I really don't think you should), you must be scrupulous about scooping and taking care of the litter. With two cats, you should scoop three times a day to keep the box absolutely as clean as possible.

We have six cats and six litterboxes. Some of our cats will pee in one box and poop in another. Some only like one box (and one kind of cat litter). It's really something how they figure out what they want. We use both scoopable and clay litter...some in one box, some in another.  As an aside, some cats like a covered box, while others prefer their box to be uncovered. We have figured out what works for our gang, but it's trial and error. At this point, we pretty much have a litterbox in every room of the house (except for the living room) and our house is pretty small: three in the bathroom (one uncovered, two covered), a covered box in the kitchen, a covered box in the computer room, and a Booda Dome in the bedroom. I really didn't want to go that route, but it's best for the furkids.

The most important thing is to scoop and scoop and scoop. And then scoop some more. Cats do not like dirty boxes. 

Your best bet is to get another box. Honestly. You can find room somewhere.

cassthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, they probably could, but I strongly wouldn't recommend it. I don't think your cats would like it, and might not even except it. There might, possibly, be arguments if they both happen to be there at the same time. (I'm not saying there will be, but there's still a chance).

And, if you do decide to stick with 1 litterbox, then please keep it as clean as possible! Like, I'd recommend scooping  more than once a day.

Hope I helped. 

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   In the long run, I don't think one box would be a good idea.  I think there are more benefits to each cat having the option to have their own box even though it is a small space.  I think it would be more comfort for the cats and less cleaning in the long run.  

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other posters.  If they grew up together it would be OK.  When I had fosters in my litter box room I moved my resident cat's litter box into the kitchen.  I had a vertical peeing  cat so I needed a big rubber maid tub.  I would block off the kitchen & kitten room so that the fosters would have more room to play several times per day.  On one occasion a kitten jumped into my cat's litter box.  I picked the kitten out immediately but my cat would not use the box until I dumped all the litter & washed it.  I would get two!

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suggest getting another litter box or maybe even 2 as some cats as people have said may only wee in one and poo in another. Also the cat may just prefer one box over another. I would not make cats that did not grow up with each other use that same litter box as this can lead to issues of one maybe using the floor for his or he business instead of the box or even going after the new cat for trying to use their litter box. I have 2 litter boxes one for my boy and one for my girl he does not touch her box (unless it's clean with new litter then he finds it good fun to throw the litter out of it) and she only uses his once in awhile (like when we are cleaning hers or when someone has moved her box and she can't find it). my male has no problem with her using his but it really depends on the cat(s). But I would look into getting another litter box or 2.

arthursmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try making a litter box tower. Cats will actually use it. You can probably rig a cat tower to hold them so that they have a place to climb up, but there are simpler ways as well if you google it. Just make sure they are sturdy enough not fall over with a cat in it! It is more space-saving because you're building up.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know I got lucky with my girls and only have one box.

They do not like each other and had taken a very long time to be able to simply tolerate one another, as neither was going anywhere.

(both are dominant girls...)

But somehow I have managed with one box shared. It's pretty large with lots of litter in it, and I scoop it about twice a day.

Stashed in my bedroom, and both are very religious users, no question about it.

Years of no issues, and I'm grateful!!

This doesn't mean it's all that common though either.

You can always try it out with one decent sized box, but the second there's a slip up, I'd be on it right away and get another box so there are no long term habits made.

I 'get' what you mean about a small space and not really wanting boxes all over.

You can also use a small closet that is not used often, and stash a box in it and rig something in the door jam that will keep it from shutting all the way tight. Just an inch or two cracked and if they want to use it they will flip the door open.