Do I have too many?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only angle I can see it being a problem from is that you are renting. It's a rare landlord that will allow that many animals. The rescue I used to volunteer for will not adopt to you if you rent because they've seen so many pets returned (or worse) when somebody moved and didn't bother finding a place that would accept pets. Then again it only took in pets found in that small city in which 90% of people are homeowners and I think it was mainly about the students at the teensy tiny college there (who would comprise most of the renters as well).

Either way, someone renting a house, moving that often, and already with 9 pets would be enough to raise an eyebrow. But, you've been working with them for a while now and they know you and know you're committed to your pets, so that would have to be a bigger factor.

I just wouldn't expect a rescue that doesn't know you to adopt to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

The only angle I can see it being a problem from is that you are renting. It's a rare landlord that will allow that many animals. The rescue I used to volunteer for will not adopt to you if you rent because they've seen so many pets returned (or worse) when somebody moved and didn't bother finding a place that would accept pets. Then again it only took in pets found in that small city in which 90% of people are homeowners and I think it was mainly about the students at the teensy tiny college there (who would comprise most of the renters as well).

Either way, someone renting a house, moving that often, and already with 9 pets would be enough to raise an eyebrow. But, you've been working with them for a while now and they know you and know you're committed to your pets, so that would have to be a bigger factor.

I just wouldn't expect a rescue that doesn't know you to adopt to you.
Well right now our apartment doesn't allow pets. Snuck everyone in with the risk that if caught, we will get evicted. Getting rid of them is not an option for me. I'll pay for boarding for everyone or ask for fosters but rehoming, nah.

Moving that often? I'm not sure what that has anything to do with anything. I'm not sure why eyebrows are being raised.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

Well right now our apartment doesn't allow pets. Snuck everyone in with the risk that if caught, we will get evicted. Getting rid of them is not an option for me. I'll pay for boarding for everyone or ask for fosters but rehoming, nah.

Moving that often? I'm not sure what that has anything to do with anything. I'm not sure why eyebrows are being raised.
I thought the agencies contacted your landlord before adoption. That is what mine does. If so, that could be a red flag so to speak to your rental complex that you might have other pets or were at least intending on breaking their rule.
I would be worried about that since the price is so high, you will be evicted. Good vibes to you!
I don't know how you can sneak that many animals in an non animal complex, don't your cats stare out the windows?
I think the moving often is a concern since people that move often dump pets since it is hard to find a place that lets you bring them. The agencies are looking at stability. Personally, I have moved several times with my animals no problem too, but it took a lot more effort to find places that would accept animals at all and a lot more money. I think what it comes down to is people either are or aren't committed to their animals, as I have seen homeowners that have lived in the same place for years give up their animals for stupid reasons.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

To answer your original question in light of this, one pet is too many until you are in a place that allows them and knows about all of them.

I am not saying you should rehome any of them, but it isn't a good idea to get any more pets when all of them are in direct violation of your lease. This is exactly why shelters don't always adopt to renters.

You asked a question about what a shelter would think of the number of animals you have, and I've tried to answer it. If I were the one deciding whether to adopt to you, and I knew you were not allowed to have any pets, I would not adopt to you. Does the shelter you are in the process of adopting from now know this?

Is your next rental pet-friendly, and do they know you will have 10? If not, you need to seriously reconsider what you're doing.

Getting suddenly evicted with 10 pets is bad; and in some leases it stipulates that if you get caught with a pet they can charge you fees starting from the date you moved in. It isn't so easy as "Oh, well, I'll figure it out when it happens".

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
cococat and zissou's mom - im not planning on adopting him at this apartment. and the rescue knows about my situation. edited to add - most of your response zissou's mom makes it seem like i havent clarified that i am not planning on adopting a cat into a non-pet friendly apartment complex, which isnt the case at all.

if i need to explain why im moving so much its because our lease ran out on one apartment but my boyfriend's promotion/raise isn't kicking in for another month or two (so we cant afford the apartment we want yet) so we're basically staying here instead of living in motels for that long. we're perfectly stable, we just thought his raise would kick in before the lease ended. bad planning if you would like to call it.

yes my next apartment would be fine with 4 cats. my rabbits and rats do not count toward the pet limit.

cococat - we have a corner unit that doesn't have any windows with sills big enough for any of our cats to get on. our views are the neighboring complex and a roof. perfect spot.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yes my next apartment would be fine with 4 cats. my rabbits and rats do not count toward the pet limit.
Well, that's good to know. I went back and checked your responses before, but all you said was "sometime in the near future" with a reference to six years you'd be going somewhere more pet-friendly.

So, I'm glad to hear that your apartment in the next month or two does know about the number of pets you have, and that you won't be adopting any more until you're there.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Well, that's good to know. I went back and checked your responses before, but all you said was "sometime in the near future" with a reference to six years you'd be going somewhere more pet-friendly.

So, I'm glad to hear that your apartment in the next month or two does know about the number of pets you have, and that you won't be adopting any more until you're there.
no no, we plan on buying a house within the next 6 years but we will be moving into a new apartment that is pet friendly within a couple months. sorry if i was being confusing.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got 4 cats in 400 square feet. My land lord knows about them and is fine with it. The law in my city only alows 3, but because I take such good care of my cats no one around me would ever turn me in. I think the number of animals a person should have is related to how well they take care of them. I don't believe there is a set number. Obviously one person can not reasonably care for 100 cats. As long as your animals have proper space, vet care and of coarse love then who is this woman to tell you that you have too many. I know people that have one animal that can barely care for one, while I know other people that care for 10 with no problem. It's about you and how well you take care of them.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

no no, we plan on buying a house within the next 6 years but we will be moving into a new apartment that is pet friendly within a couple months. sorry if i was being confusing.
That's good.
We lived in Anaheim for a year, and had trouble finding a place that took just 2 cats.

As long as the LL & county allow it, I can't see how that would be too many kitties (or animals).