Do I have to neuter my cats if I don't let them out?

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was getting ready to neuter my 7 and 8 months old cats but then was like "hmmm...if I never let them out and they don't spray, then maybe I don't have to get them neutered"

What am I overlooking here?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Have to", no. "Want to", yes, certainly.

The chances of them never spraying or fighting or becoming aggressive are veryvery low. It's better to neuter them before they start acting up. It's also extremely difficult to keep them inside if they decide they need to get outside to find the ladies (a motivated cat is hard to contain), so birth control still comes into consideration.

Last edited:

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They'll likely start spraying later in life and once they start it will be harder to stop.  Most intact males spray, especially in multi-cat households.  And, once the hormones kick in, they'll become increasingly desperate to get instead and may start yowling when thwarted.  As a general rule, intact toms do not make good housepets.  Many breeders house studs in stand-alone shelters for them for this very reason.  I agree with Willowy, you don't have to, but if you don't, you'll likely be miserable a few months down the road when the testosterone starts setting in.  Plus, toms are very territorial and typically cannot live peacefully with other intact males.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I was a bit late neutering the kittens I took in last year. They didn't start spraying until they got to 8 months old but when they did....OMG what a nightmare! They went from cute little fluff balls to humping, fighting, spraying monsters overnight.

One of them gave his brother a nasty bite on the back of the neck that needed antibiotics. (They'll try and mate with each other if there are no available female cats around.) I had to throw out a pair of curtains and a sofa throw because I couldn't get rid of the smell and the house stank for weeks in spite of repeated cleaning.

Unless you have pedigree studs that you are intending to breed from then yes, get them neutered. You'll be doing yourself a big favour.

cruisescouter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our Charlie was neutered late and when he was around 3 he started to spray. EVERYWHERE!!! We would use a black light and it was like a crime scene gone bad. We took him to the vet, got him tested, all behavioral. He sprayed straight into our DVD playing while we were all watching a movie. Guess he did not care for it.

It went on for years and then we moved and suddenly he stopped. I would suggest to get your kitty neutered.

Also, what if he gets out, then you could be responsible for multiple teen kitty pregnancies. 

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Montgomery was neutered late (two years of age) due to health reasons. Because he was so physically delayed, he didn't show any "male" behavior until shortly before his surgery. The worst thing he did ways spritz the side of my vari-kennel, but that was more than enough, thank you. He was neutered without complication thanks to a caring and very dedicated veterinarian and continues to be a healthy, strong kitty cat.

Please get your cat neutered. It only takes one "oops! the cat got out!" to create several more homeless cats.