Do I have a Cymric Manx?

furperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found "Skinner" in  early August, someone had dumped him by the gate to our hunting camp. He was about 8 weeks old and very scrawny, and I thought he was a regular Manx due to his lack of tail. However, now that he's grown a bit, I'm wondering if he's actually the "Cymric" variety, because his hair is growing in really long and thick, much thicker than I had expected!

For those of you more familiar with cat breeds, do you think he's really a Cymric Manx or just some kind of mixed breed?

8 weeks old, first day I found him (Aug. 9th)

Photo from Aug. 23rd - fur on chest started growing in long even before the rest of the hair thickened

Sept. 26th - cheek tufts starting to develop

Oct. 7th - note the long tufts of hair on his feet and cheeks

And this picture just taken today: 10/18/13  

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What a cutie. He's unlikely to be a Manx (shorthair) or Cymric (longhair) unless you're in an area where there is a Manx breeder close by. Then there's a chance that a cat or kitten might have gotten lost.

Only about 3% of all cats are purebred, and the Cymric is relatively rare within that 3%. In addition to being tailless, the Manx breed standard lists several other features in the shape of ears, legs, body, etc. that I do not see in the pictures of your cat.

Not all tailless cats are Manx. There are several other "bobtail" breeds, plus short or missing tails can occur naturally within the random cat population. My first impression is that your kitty is one of these random bred cats and would be considered a DLH
(Domestic Longhair).