Do chronic hairballs always mean lymphoma? Very scared.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
disclaimer - our other cat Cashew (the one in question's brother) just passed from GI lymphoma this past October.

So Walnut has had hairballs since we got him 4 years ago. They come and go, but one every month or so. Then he goes through spells where he would have them more often.
He started having them almost daily when Cashew was dying, he also was grooming a lot. Then after Cashew died, he didnt' have one for over a month. Then this past Christmas he was having everyday again. We started on pumpkin and started brushing him and the hairballs are slowing down again.
We took to vet for abd x-ray and blood work - all perfect. So tomorrow he is having an ultrasound.

I'm terrified that he will also have lymphoma as he and Cashew were littermates. The thing is Cashew never, ever had hairballs, but lost weight, was eating less.
Walnut has actually gained weight and no other issues, not even diarrhea.

Is it always bad news with hairballs? Or are some cats just prone to them? He is short-hair, but a very luxurious, soft coat. He grooms a lot.

thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I seriously doubt the hairballs correlate with lymphoma, but of course that is just my opinion. I do think that based on what you have said that he is possibly overgrooming during stressful times and would therefore be more inclined to have hairballs as a result (Cashew passing away, Christmas time activities different from other times of the year).

Keep up with brushing him regularly and you might even consider giving him one of the hairball treats, such as a gel, on a regular basis. Or, perhaps even a dab of butter/margarine on his paw or from your finger every few days. It is true that some cats are just more prone than others to having hairballs.

I hope NOTHING shows up in the ultrasound!! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: Keep us posted and let us know the results of the ultrasound! Good luck tomorrow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I seriously doubt the hairballs correlate with lymphoma, but of course that is just my opinion. I do think that based on what you have said that he is possibly overgrooming during stressful times and would therefore be more inclined to have hairballs as a result (Cashew passing away, Christmas time activities different from other times of the year).

Keep up with brushing him regularly and you might even consider giving him one of the hairball treats, such as a gel, on a regular basis. Or, perhaps even a dab of butter/margarine on his paw or from your finger every few days. It is true that some cats are just more prone than others to having hairballs.

I hope NOTHING shows up in the ultrasound!! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: Keep us posted and let us know the results of the ultrasound! Good luck tomorrow!
Thank you.

It's just when I research hairballs, lymphoma always comes up as a cause. I know I'm especially sensitive right now.
The vet wasn't even going to do the ultrasound yet, wanted to wait and see if brushing/pumpkin (or laxatone) started helping, but I wanted it done. They waited too long for Cashew.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify what you may have read. Lymphoma can contribute to hairballs, if the digestive system is compromised, BUT hairballs most definitely does not mean lymphoma.
Considering your description I would agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that your boy is simply overgrooming. Also, certain times of the year can make shedding worse and that can increase hairballs. My cats are shedding more right now (for the past 4-6 weeks or so).
I think if you keep up with brushing him regularly and give him a maintenance dose of hairball remedy, you will notice a difference.
One of my boys is prone to hairballs and constipation due to hairballs, but he has a clean bill of health in the digestive system department. If I keep up with his hairball paste about twice a week, he's good to go. I personally think it's because his fur, although very soft and shiny, is quite thick/coarse so it doesn't "mush up" as well in his digestive system.
Of course this is just my personal opinion, and your vet will certainly be able to give you your answers, but I wouldn't assume lymphoma based on your description.
I'm sorry about Cashew. :hugs:

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify what you may have read. Lymphoma can contribute to hairballs, if the digestive system is compromised, BUT hairballs most definitely does not mean lymphoma.
Considering your description I would agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that your boy is simply overgrooming. Also, certain times of the year can make shedding worse and that can increase hairballs. My cats are shedding more right now (for the past 4-6 weeks or so).
I think if you keep up with brushing him regularly and give him a maintenance dose of hairball remedy, you will notice a difference.
One of my boys is prone to hairballs and constipation due to hairballs, but he has a clean bill of health in the digestive system department. If I keep up with his hairball paste about twice a week, he's good to go. I personally think it's because his fur, although very soft and shiny, is quite thick/coarse so it doesn't "mush up" as well in his digestive system.
Of course this is just my personal opinion, and your vet will certainly be able to give you your answers, but I wouldn't assume lymphoma based on your description.
I'm sorry about Cashew. :hugs:
Thank you!

Walnut's coat is very, very thick.

I also examined the hairball. It's always the same, first some yellowish fluid followed immediately by a sausage shaped hairball. No food in it, just hair. And it's always overnight. I worried about the liquid, but was told that was just normal gastric "juices" helping the hairball to come out. They asked if food was involved, but we've never seen even a piece of food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a cat right now who is very close to being dxed with GI lymphoma...it seems certain and we are arranging for a biopsy; however, there have never been hairballs in the entire life of this cat. I am sorry about Cashew and certainly understand your concern and upset over Walnut.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat right now who is very close to being dxed with GI lymphoma...it seems certain and we are arranging for a biopsy; however, there have never been hairballs in the entire life of this cat. I am sorry about Cashew and certainly understand your concern and upset over Walnut.
I'm sorry. It's such a horrible thing to go through. Cashew was young (4) and his was aggressive.
Hopefully your cat can be successfully managed on steroid/chemo pills as some cats do really well with that!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
white shadow white shadow - what part of that article did I not catch that would substantiate your comment above " if not prevented, they could lead to lymphoma...not vice versa"? Can you share the specific data in the article that lead you to that conclusion? Thanks!

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi drelocks !

The definitive cure for hairballs (and, a careful read will suggest that, if not prevented, they could lead to lymphoma...not vice versa): https://www.foodfurlife.com/best-manage-hairballs.html#/. And, this might be helpful if you go this route: https://www.foodfurlife.com/make-homemade-dried-egg-yolk-powder.html#/
Thanks.

That's actually an article that made me nervous, as it discusses cats presenting with hairballs, almost 50% had lymphoma and that hairballs are due to an already impaired GI system. :(

Well, nothing I can do until we get ultrasound results.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 4 cats and we seldom have hairballs now. What we discovered was that by cutting way back on dry food and serving smaller wet food servings pretty much eliminated hairballs. I had a kitty many years ago who would throw hairballs did it when she ate any kind of fish flavored food. So, I think there are many other reasons that can explain hairballs, not just lymphoma.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Umm Oliver same thing he had hairballs almost everyday for a week this december....Groom groom groom, itchy cat...2 capsulesmegg lecithin a day and i furminatored him lol, its better now knock on wood

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has perfect blood work values and didn’t loose weight, it’s unlikely he’s that sick. But I understand you want to check it out, I totally understand your worry. My girl was vomiting this summer basically for the first time in her life - due to hairballs it seems -and my vet said it’s good I brought it up as vomiting in cats is never normal and should be checked and prevented. Ive been using egg yolk lecithin since then and it worked like a charm: furry poops, no vomiting, the way it should be. So I greatly recommend it as well.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , in the article about egg yolk there are two articles linked where the study is mentioned, which may give you some answers re correlations you’ve been looking for. My vet seems to agree that - to simplify things- hairballs and vomiting might cause IBD, which may in turn cause GI lymphoma.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Walnut has had hairballs since we got him 4 years ago. They come and go, but one every month or so. Then he goes through spells where he would have them more often.
He started having them almost daily when Cashew was dying, he also was grooming a lot. Then after Cashew died, he didnt' have one for over a month. Then this past Christmas he was having everyday again. We started on pumpkin and started brushing him and the hairballs are slowing down again.
I'm very sorry for Cashew. :alright:

When Cashew was ill, obviously Walnet was stressed about this and depending on where you live, Autumn is shedding season. Christmas time could be stressful with decorations/changes in the house. My cat sheds too much hair sometimes in the winter seemingly out of the blue but it's actually because she got hot over the heater. Digestion speed is also about how much they physically move, how much water they got, and that can change from day to day.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you share the specific data in the article that lead you to that conclusion?
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner - I made no conclusion........the article suggests that encouraging motility may prevent intestinal damage - and, that's what I wrote. (now, I would love to have access to the two followup papers' content, "Questioning conclusions involving cats with suspected chronic small bowel disease. [J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2015]" and "The authors respond. [J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2015]" - perhaps, in those, the "chicken or the egg' question was raised [and, yes, I realize there are the rumblings of an unintended pun in there!])

So, D drelocks - while Cashew had clinical signs of disease (weight loss and decreased appetite), Walnut does not. IF reduced/slowed motility (caused by hairball formation) causes/may cause intestinal damage.....why not prevent that hairball formation immediately/NOW, and, at least, eliminate that possibility when you can? It's one thing to be concerned, it's not productive to be consumed/paralyzed into inaction by that concern. The 'simple' addition of egg yolk can/does prevent hairball formation. (I don't want you to mistake my being direct for lack of empathy.....it's awful having to go through this, and I really feel for you and him.)

She's a witch She's a witch - I think your Vet's 'take' is prudent and wise.........we should prevent what we can!

MissClouseau MissClouseau - I think you need to be careful there, so as not to 'muddy the water'/confuse......"digestion speed" and motility are not the same thing. "Motility" 'simply' means movement, the action of moving along the intestinal tract.....we're talking about preventing hairballs, which can reduce that motility. Digestion involves a tonne of other elements/components.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MissClouseau MissClouseau MissClouseau MissClouseau - I think you need to be careful there, so as not to 'muddy the water'/confuse......"digestion speed" and motility are not the same thing. "Motility" 'simply' means movement, the action of moving along the intestinal tract.....we're talking about preventing hairballs, which can reduce that motility. Digestion involves a tonne of other elements/components.
Motility IS a part of digestion. If things go down in the body at a slower speed due to any reason, including not being mobile much or the food being more solid, then it also paves the way for forming hairballs.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Motility IS a part of digestion. If things go down in the body at a slower speed due to any reason, including not being mobile much or the food being more solid, then it also paves the way for forming hairballs.
"Part of", yes.

The SAME.....NO.

Walnut's hairballs have not contained non-digested food. Perhaps you missed this:

I also examined the hairball. It's always the same....No food in it, just hair...They asked if food was involved, but we've never seen even a piece of food.

So, here, we're talking about motility............not digestion.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow Thanks. I dont actually think I'm being inactive. We started brushing, trying pumpkin and he's getting a full work up to get to bottom of it.

Thanks all. Of course he was so cute this morning before I left! My boyfriend drops him off at 8 am.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shoot. He hasn't had any food for over 10 hrs (fasting), but boyfriend saw him crunching on something - we think there was a lone treat on the floor.

Will that be enough to compromise ultrasound results? Test is in about 3.5 hrs.