Do cats remember?

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And have far back do you think they can remember?

Pico hasn't seen her "true love" Smokey for years, so when I brought her back for a visit, she was growling and hissing at the other cats she used to know, but she only let Smokey sit next to her (all the way with a low grumble). But is it possible she remembers his scent? Is that way she was okay with him next to her?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Between cats, I am not sure but I am definite that cats never forget bad stuff they experienced in the past.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im a firm believer that cats just coose not to believe although, my Flash remembered Smooch after 3 days but he choose to not remember Flash, same litter were seperated for 3 days only and hated her so i never attempted to bring her back to my mams to much stress for them both, she just wanted to play he wanted to kill

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat, the event, and if the cat wants to remember. (ie, they know to stay out of your food, but choose not to remember it will get them in trouble)

When it comes to introducing cats, all bets are off. Better to take it slow and careful because cats are flighty animals that don't usually like that sort of change.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also agree that it depends on the cat. I really think that like people, some cats are smarter than others.

I can remember when I was a young teen, we had a cat named Tabby who was an indoor cat, but who had gotten out one day.
She was gone for 3 months when I was walking to the bus stop one morning, saw her, called her name and she came RUNNING to me. 3 months later she knew exactly who I was and wanted to come home.

coronet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat and they might be hissing because the cat "smells" different.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely depends on the cat. I have two brothers who were separated for at least two weeks and maybe three at a local high kill pound. People said, you can't put them together, they won't remember each other. And I was going to separate them...

When I brought them into my house and they were crying their heads off... I set the carriers down and turned them to each other and pushed them close enough so they could smell each other. Guess what? The crying stopped.

I placed them in a room together and they were fine. They are nicely bonded.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had 3 from the same litter, and the little girl cat (when she was more like 10 years old) snuck outside and was lost for over 3 weeks. At that time we were really naive about how to integrate cats, and when we found her we just brought her back in, and there were absolutely NO issues. She was SO HAPPY to be back home, and both her brothers seemed pleased to see her too!! Apparently they all remembered each other quite well.