Do cats really need grass?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great! I got a container of cat grass over the weekend. It's the type with a cat face, complete with whiskers and slit-pupil eyes who, I suppose, is smiling in anticipation of the grass soon to grow!!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think it was Sanctie whose cat Connor was scared of his pot of grass!

after reading this i might try to grow some.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats chowing down on yummy yummy cat salad:

The cats aren't sick and they don't throw up (if they don't eat too much, anyway)

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I bought Oliver a container of cat grass once... it grew and grew and he usually just looked at it - the one time he did eat it, 2 minutes later he was over on the door mat yarking it up
He never went back to it after that and it ended up dying out when I went away for a weekend
... maybe I'll try it again with him and if he ignores it, my dog will definitely eat it! I swear she thinks she's a cow with the way she eats grass! (We had bought a container of pet grass for my dog so she could indulge while indoors and at the time I had parakeets that loved to snack on it as well!)

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nano

I decided it was necessary when Nano would escape and the first thing she would do once outside was go behind the building to eat grass.

Obviously it was something she wanted, and it seems to help her in some way either be physically fit or generally comfortable, so I provide her a small supply of wheatgrass. She might eat a good bit of it one day, nothing the next...it is just an option that is there when she wants it.
I grow wheatgrass for Dax even though she can go outside - she loves it. I have to re-sow it every now and then because she kills it by sleeping in the pot...

I use a bag of organic seed from a health store - so far the one bag has given several loads. Pretty cheap.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missy will eat any plant in site (I only grow cat friendly stuff ) and loves oat grass.
Mister will only eat the oat grass and the babies are following missy's lead lol