do cats really do this?

gypsy04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told by a friend that I can't trust at all that cats pee in people's clothes if they give off this certain smell in their sweat that makes there clothes smell like a litter box to them and that it can make even a full trained litter box cat go on their clothes if it smells of the sweat oh and she said only certain people have it

Is this true has anyone experienced this or know people who has?

donutlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had a few cats and right now I have a 7 month old cat. From what I have seen from my cats and cats of my friends is that cats only pee on your cloths if 1) the box is not clean 2) your room is a 100% mess. More of 1 then 2. 

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of this. Keep in mind that cats aren't compelled to pee on everything that smells like a litterbox, so even if a human does smell a little litter-ish to a cat (I find this unlikely to begin with), it wouldn't automatically result in peeing on clothes. A cat's use of a litterbox is influenced by location, feel of the litter, etc, not just some chemical "pee here" sign.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gypsy04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my friend said that her father in law wouldn't allow an inside cat because the cat would use the bathroom in his shoes because of the whole sweat issue

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never once had a cat pee on my clothing unless it was under some kind of duress. Cats don't use litter because of its smell. They use it because they're drawn to the concept of being able to hide their pee/poo in sand. There are different methods of litter that smell like different things, and some is totally unscented, so yeah. That's a bogus theory.

If you give a cat a good, clean litter box, 99% of the time they will pee in there.

ETA: I can remember two examples of a cat messing on clothes. One was a cat being held tightly by a child until it had enough and peed for freedom. The other was a cat being wrestled into a carrier for a vet visit and messed out of fear. Never have I seen a cat do it at random.

Last edited:

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had two situations in which a cat peed on my clothes:

1. The neighborhood cats sometimes leave "messages" for my cat right outside my door. He has on occasion, usually when anxious, responded in kind on the inside of the door. Unfortunately, this is where I keep my shoes. He's not drawn to the shoes, per se, he's drawn to the border of his territory and my shoes just happen to be in the way.

2. When my cats were first introduced, after minor altercations, Kitty 2 would sometimes retreat to the sofa, which she had claimed as hers, and pee on it to enforce the claim. If I happened to be there, I was included with the sofa. Fortunately, this only happened twice.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I once had a cat use my clothes hamper instead of the litterbox - I don't remember why, maybe I was trying to change to a new litter and she didn't like it. Anyway, I think she chose the clothes because they would allow her to bury her waste. She stopped once I fixed what was bothering her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of this. If a cat pees outside of a litter box, there are usually three reasons: something medical which a vet would have to diagnose and treat or there is something wrong with the litter box itself (too dirty, bad location, etc), or behavioral (new cat/person in household, a cat/skunk/racoon/etc outside that is driving the cat nuts, etc).