do cats need each other?

krissie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

When I got Villy from the shelter I learnt that she went in with another cat that she used to live with and they got seperated and her buddy (not littermates as far as I knew) got adopted out seperately. Apparently she wasn't too bothered about her mate, but they could have just been saying that.

Anyway, now I have to keep her alone, she simply won't tolerate any other cats, she just fights. I'd love to have a buddy for her, I worry that she gets lonely, but I think she might be really miserable if I did (bring in another cat), I worry that she might run away or just fight with any other cat that I brought in, so I'm going to keep her alone, as she has been for the last 18 months.
Katie: yeah, Miss A was about a year when I got her, and her backstory was much like Villy's--she had a littermate through kittenhood, but they were separated in the shelter and she hasn't been able to stand another animal since.

I wasn't objecting to the idea of having a pair--it does sound like for the original poster, that might work out great, sicne they are already buddied up--but I was a little mystified by the suggestion that people with only one might somehow be attention suckers. I agree with reddicequeen and booktigger that it seems to depend on the individual cats whether it will work out or not.

mylesanthony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Phoenix, AZ in the heart of the city in
My girlfriend and I have 5 kitties... ranging in age from 3 mos. to 3 years. We adopted Cobee first, he is one and a half years old we had him all of 24 hours and we just KNEW he needed a companion.... we think he needed the companionship so bad because he was in a no-kill shelter that had 6 huge cat rooms and were all connected so he was constantly around atleast 40 cats - someone was always willing to play.

We as a couple and a family just love having so many cats as well - it's nice and very entertaining to watch them react to one another and then have them all play with us as well. I honestly think it depends on the owner and the cat.

.Myles-Anthony

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I honestly think Spike would be completely lost without Oz to keep him company. I know his perpetual kitten-ish antics would drive us insane if we didn't have Oz to deflect some of Spike's constant need for attention and activity. There's no way we could keep up with him! (Sometimes I think Spike may be a little too much even for Oz, but then Oz just bats Spike in the face as if to say "Calm down, you little idiot!" and then the two of them curl up for a nap together.) In our case, two cats are an absolute must, especially since we're gone for most of the day and have active social lives outside of our home. Some days our cats only see us while we're in bed sleeping!

My parents' cat, on the other hand, is definitely a one-cat kind of cat. She's been an only cat her entire life (somewhere between 16 and 18 years), so she's a little old to change her ways now. It makes things a bit difficult, because I'd like to be able to bring my own kitties with me when we travel to see my parents, but I think Spike would just stress her out way too much. At her age, she shouldn't have to put up with Spike's antics. I think she and Oz could possibly get along, if she wasn't such a little
to other cats; when he's not trying to keep up with Spike, Oz is a much more laidback, relaxed kind of cat.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by satukitty

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and a proud new owner of an adorable little tabby kitten, Satou We are currently "foster" parents of her sister as well. They play and fight together and have adjusted well to their new home since they have each other.

My husband and I were wondering if cats really need that kind of companionship with another cat while their owners are gone for a few hours, particularly on longer periods such as vacations. We would love to have them both, but wondering if it is necessary for Satou to have a "playmate" for the rest of her life.

Any suggestions from single-cat and multiple-cat owners?
if you would love to have them both anyway then i dont see the reason for the question
no cats dont NEED another cat but in your case i would keep them both
but if you decide you only want one, Satou would most likely do just fine

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep both if you can. If they are already socialized it will work out in the long run. Depending on how old they are it may be for the best not to separate them now anyway because they are attached..
Like babyharley I found that when I got a new kitty that my young cat stopped some annoying behaviors, such as meowing loudly in the morning.
Also if you ever decide you want to expand your fur family, adding another cat isn't as difficult as with a cat that is used to being the only.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great news!

We have decided to keep both!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Great news!

Congratulations!

I know we are all glad to know that. Now we want to see pictures!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Great news!

I was so hoping you would. What joyful news. I guarantee you won't be sorry you made the decision to keep them both.