Do cats like to make fools of us?

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

My husband thinks it's a nutty game, but Jamie loves it. He goes to the top of the stairs, and calls me, then runs off and hides behind furniture, a door, or curtains. I walk through the upstairs, saying, "Where's Jamie? Where's the little kitty cat? I can't find my kitty!" He jumps out at me when I get close to his hiding place, and then runs off and hides someplace else. He can play this for a half hour to an hour. Sometimes I hide, instead of continuing my search, and jump out at him when he comes looking for me.
Wow that's amazing! So, it sounds like it's something he kind of came up with on his own, and you caught on!! Clever kitty...lol

I don't know if I could teach mine anything like that. Sashka's too independent and you can't get Sunday off the bed for anything except food...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie started that game the third day we had him, when we decided he didn't have to be confined to one room to make him feel more secure, as it took him about 4 hours to make himself at home. We had another cat that played the same game with the dogs, though, and Jamie plays it with the dog next door, when Aki comes over for a "play date".

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lol Twitch is deaf & she still demands that I call for her! If she doesn't see my lips moving when I am seeking her, she won't come out!
My family thinks I am crazy walking around the house calling for a deaf cat!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'm still chuckling over Jamie's behavior this morning. He woke me up early for his breakfast, and then nagged and nagged to go for a walk, despite the cold and snowy weather (which he's quite aware of since he has free access to his balcony, and was out for a walk yesterday). Okay, so I downed a cup of coffee, took a quick shower and dried my hair, and then went through a game of hide and seek before I could put his harness on him (a favorite game we play at least once a week). Once he had his harness on, he yowled impatiently until I got on my jacket, boots, hat, and gloves. I attached the leash to his harness, opened the door, and we went out - for a total of one minute! He went back to the door, requesting to go back inside. I took him in for about two minutes, then tried again. This time our outdoor stay lasted about 30 seconds. My husband swears the cat does this sort of thing to show me who's boss. Do you agree, or is it just feline fickleness?
I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one this is happening to! On Friday Lucky begged and begged and begged to go outside. So out come the harness and the lead and I opened the door and she seemed shocked that there was 20cm of snow. She bounded out the door about 20 steps, realized she didn't like this snow stuff on her feet...climbed a nearby plant and started to cry and cry. And me being her well trained slave had to go out and get her and carry her in. She also presented me with her paws for inspection.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just called being determined and wanting what they want even though the conditions might work against it - yup a permanent 2 yr. old! *lol*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hell603

I just called being determined and wanting what they want even though the conditions might work against it - yup a permanent 2 yr. old! *lol*
Exactly! Instant gratification is the catchword. Jamie learned a lesson today, I hope. I got home from work, and had groceries to put away, and he wanted to go outside immediately. Unfortunately, I had cat litter in the vestibule, and the inside door open. He opened the outside door himself, and took off. He got about half a block, and got scared. When I went to pick him up, he ran back home, and instead of running in the front door, which I'd left open when I went running after him, he ran into the garage. Then he really got scared, and hunkered down under the car. It took me about 20 minutes to coax him out. He was so scared that his tail looked like a bottle brush, and he stayed snuggled up in my arms for about half an hour.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They definately do this stuff just for kicks.
I'm sure they giggling up a storm once we are out of earshot.