Do cats have tonsils? er.. or something

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.. I am the biggest worry wart and I'm almost positive I'm worrying for nothing but I wonder if anyone knows anything about cat anatomy.. because I know nothing.

I *think* I'm feeling some kind of small bump or mass under Zoey's chin like on the left side, under her jaw - on the side underneath (hard to explain exactly where) when I was giving her scritches the other day. It's only about the size of a large pea or so and it moves around when I feel over it.. almost as if its a part of her skin, but not really
its not like perfectly round or anything either. Now, I have tried to do some research and I cant find anything harmful that matches this specific description. Her behaviour has not changed in the slightest bit.

Do cats have tonsils? Do they get sore throats? Or I was thinking maybe her and Saki got rough and Saki bit her there or scratched her but there is no scab or skin irritation or anything like that. Do they have muscles and tendons under their jaws? Are they the same on both sides? Do cats pull muscles?

Does anyone know the answers to these questions

As worrywart as I am I dont think this warrants a vet visit, lord knows first sign of anything odd and I would take my cats to the vet, if anything in her eating habits or behaviour changed I'd be there in a second, but that's not the case.. I'm thinking its more of an anatomy question that I have tried searching for on the net but to no avail.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sicy, I am not sure if cats have tonsils
What you may be feeling, is some sort of cyst. It could be a sebaceous cyst, mostly filled with a harmless fatty substance that forms under the skin, but I am not sure if cats can get those. I know cats can get a form of acne that forms under the chin as well, but I think you would be able to see some sort of red bump with that. I can not remember if you let your cats out or not, but I have read of some sort of fly, I think it is called a Bot fly
that lays eggs on animals, and people too, and the little worm actually burrows under the skin
forming a lump. In any case, I would take a trip to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No she doesnt go outside. I cant always feel it either.. if her head is in a certain position, down, I feel it otherwise I dont. It's almost so small that its not even worth posting about. I really dont want a bunch of take your cat to the vet replies because I know if it doesnt go away or gets bigger or if her behaviour changes of course that's what I'll do. I seriously think I'm over reacting.. I just want to know what kinds of things cats have under their jaw, muscles, tendons? Tonsils? Cartilidge?

Now I'm feeling both sides at once and I really think its part of her structure.. blah nevermind.

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sicy, I am not completly sure about cats but I do know for sure that dogs have tonsils.

My MinPin Ceasar had a bout of inflamed tonsils when he was about a year old. I was amazed that dogs have tonsils, so it stands to reason that cats have them too(?) Don't quote me on this. One thing I think I would do is call the vet and ask them about what you have found or what you think you have found on Zoey. That way you can put your worries to rest.

If this continues to grow I know of course that you will take her to the Vet because you are a good kitty mommy

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was tired last nite and cranky. After sleeping on it I will definately call my vet in a bit as soon as they open to ask her if she thinks I should bring Zoey in. *sigh* I just hope she tells me I'm crazy and that its nothing.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have six tonsils actually, they form a ring at the side of their throat. They do become infected and antibiotics are needed to keep the infection down.

Not sure what it is you are feeling on your cat, but if it worries you enough to post about it, a vet visit wouldn't be a bad thing.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I called my vet but she was in surgery.. so the receptionist said I could bring Zoey in Friday. I'm already bringing in Saki for his shots so this ought to be fun bringing them both in at the same time

I've read about absesses and fatty cysts and I'm guessing it could be either. Maybe Saki's little sharp teeth got into her jaw or something
This is kinda scary I hope she'll be ok.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been monitoring Zoey's 'lump' and it now doesnt feel like a little gumball anymore.. more like just a mass of squishiness.
It has me very concerned so I'm taking her in first thing in the morning instead of Friday. They said that if its an abscess they might have to do surgery
I didnt even think of this kind of problem when I decided to get a second cat.

Please send some good vibes.. if anyone reads this.

rfox

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Zoey! i am so sorry about this lump. I hope it is nothing bad

((((HUGS))))