Do Cats Have Nightmares?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, I said MOST of the time! They sleep deeply sometimes, of course. I try to clip my cats' nails when they sleep very deeply... i'ts better than the ol' kitty towel burrito!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is sleeping by my feet right now ( aww
) and is making little noises (kitty snoring? lol) that make me think she is dreaming. Usually she is a light sleeper (like most cats) but right now she is pretty fast asleep. Her stomach is moving up and down much more noticeably than when she takes cat naps, and she is kind of twitching too.

I honestly don't know what she would be dreaming about. The girl sleeps all day anyway, except for the time she is eating or using the litter box.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know they dream and definitely believe they have nightmares. Sweety, our last kitty bless her soul, would sometimes start crying in her sleep, very disturbed, and we would wake her and comfort her, as if she was having a nightmare.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do believe Junior had a nightmare earlier this afternoon. I was sitting in the recliner watching football and he was sleeping on top of the sectional. I looked over and noticed one of his front paws was twitching. I watched a bit and suddently both back paws started twitching so I think he was running. After a minute or so of this, Junior woke up, looked at me, then immediately walked over and jumped in my lap, meowing all the way. Once he was in my lap he settled back down and fell asleep again. Junior doesn't usually sleep in my lap, though he'll occasionally climb in for a little loving. I think he just needed a little comforting.

Mez