Do cats have a "teenage" phase?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Definitely, I have one at home at the moment too, 7 months old and thinks he can do whatever he pleases, he is messy, annoying but darn cute too

The worst is when they are in the shelter at that age, they trash their cages is in them and pick on the other cats if out of them, pure terrors
I have a 7 mo. old and she terrorizes her 7 yr. old big sister. I'm hoping that once Squeak matures, they will get along better.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Kizzy didn't....but Kitchi, ohmygoodness..... he's become a terror. Meaning getting into things he shouldn't, and being naughty.... all while looking us straight in the eyes as he defies us.

He's 8mos old now.... and I swear, he's acting like a teenager

Anyone else seen this?
Yes indeed! some worse than others, just like human teenagers! <ggg>

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YES - my two Ocicats have gone thru that stage where they defy you and are being a brat - usually happens about 6-12 months - after that they tend to be a little better behaved for the most part.

Jack's "bad" behaviors were around that time - when he got in the most trouble. We thought he would really be bad with the Christmas tree. He was only 2 months old last Christmas, so this is his first tree. Its not decorated yet, but he's been squirted with water 3 times and has decided that was not cool and now ignores the tree!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had my share of teen-age rebellion too
Although Hades, who at best guess is going on 3 years old is still a defiant little beast
How do I always manage to pick the perfect names for these cats?

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Yeah, you and what army, Mum?
"
Precisely!

I know it sounds horrible, but before my girls got spayed they were probably at the height of their mischief, so I was actually grateful for the anesthesia lingering for a day or two after their spay!-

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will definitely agree that my kittens have definitely gone through puberty. My sister has one of my kittens as well and she is just the same. Little terrors, and they know it! They tease the other cats and run like mad things when you try to break up the scraps. Usually they use their racing ears, and make growling sounds as they run.

fiddledee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Milo is 8 months old. At around the 6 month mark, he started to become incredibly mischevious--getting into things, knocking stuff off the desks when we aren't there, climbing, and being indignant when we correct bad behavior. Such a teenage male...

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

Precisely!

I know it sounds horrible, but before my girls got spayed they were probably at the height of their mischief, so I was actually grateful for the anesthesia lingering for a day or two after their spay!-
Aya too... But by the time she came home she was wide awake and ready to set to work riping out her sutures and popping the cone off her neck in 10minutes flat!
Crazy kitty!

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Luke is 1 and we say he sometimes is "in a mood"..lol

He'll stand in a doorway and wait for me to walk by and jump out and grab me and then run away...lol
I have only just seen this thread when searching about cats in theirb'teen' years and omg I've laughed......not at everyone butbat the fact I'm sitting here going omg my boy does that too

The swipe happened to me just yesterday.. ..i had been playing with him then when it was over and he was tired & we stopped. I gave him a stroke, and went and got him a treat to praise him for playing nicely etc he was sat in the doorway and as I went to walk past and lifted my leg around him he quickly swiped me. I've got a huge scratch now!

On the teenage phase my boy hasn't really shown too much of this really except the obove and he doesn't let me groom or handle him to groom or check him, hates me investigating him he will growl or swipe at me and does the same if I try to pick him up if I need to handle him to administer his worming tablet etc!! Otherwise he's been really good, goes out when I'm in, comes and goes as he pleases, comes in to go the litter tray and for food and at same time every night to stay in for he night

BUT

He's just received a bite an had an absces on it so has had to stay in and he wakes me up at 5am, we get up I make a coffee, feed him and he eats then curls up and goes to sleep. He This morning I reached by him to pick up a bit of kibble which jumped out of his bowl in front of him and as I reached towards it he swiped out, he also swipes at me if i need to intervine, runs around like crazy and sits talking at me.
He's 17 months and also likes his own space from him being about 6 months old to still now he won't sit by me or on my lap but loved it before that and loved his snuggles. Me thinks he being a rebellious teenager saying mum I don't need you!
I just hope he changes his mind! He did when he was poorly the other day but hasnt again since!!

All that said I love him dearly!! Xx