Do cats get seizures from poisoning?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cande

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No Zissouâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]sMom, I never notice any symptoms of seizure before the flea treatment. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll call the poison control.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok sorry, i misunderstood. Cats can have epilepsy but it isn't that common. It is more common in dogs. If your cat has indeed been poisoned a tox screen will let you know. Liver and kidney values are ones to watch. Brain damage, again depends on if the cat was poisoned and with what. Do you still have the bottle of shampoo? Take it and call poison control. Pick their brain about what you should do, they really are the most in the know. If you go to Meowhoo.com and go to the health section you will see a category Online Cat Health Resouces and click there then you will see the Poison category.
Good luck

cande

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Hissy.

And I really appreciate every comment. Thank you everyone.

cande

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the name of the shampoo is, "ELIFE Flea & Tick Pet Sampoo" I can't find it in the internet. I hope someone will to post a link.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the phenobarbital for the seizures??? If this is the case then I would be extremely concerned. You only want to put a cat on anti-seizure medication if this is extreme epilepsy... My cat has random seizure episodes due to a neurological disorder (thats what we think it is, her blood work is inconclusive and she was born with deformity so we think this goes hand-in-hand) and we won't touch anti-seizure medication because long term effects of the meds can be worse than the seizure itself. My vet said unless she has cluster seizures or many in a very short period of time then its not worth it. But that could also be because she is not having what I would refer to as gand-mal. They are just the loss of muscle control and no loss of consciousness.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that it is for "pets" and not cats makes it even worse.
Have you been able to find another vet or go back to the second one (never ever go back to the vet who sold you this flea shampoo!) to get your cat off phenobarbitol?
If I were you, I'd be hiring a lawyer to sue the first vet to pay for the treatment of the cat.

cande

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took my cat to another vet, to a cat vet. I stop giving him Phenobarbital, I was told just to stop that it wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t necessary to lower it because he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t take it long enough. The tests will be back on Thursday, but they have him a medication that I hope will make him feel better.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! and if you even suspect poisioning or your cat is acting "off" it should be evaluated by a vet asap.