Do cats get leaky gut? I searched but found no info here on this.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am amazed at how much we have in common with our kitties, and wonder if they have tight junctions like us in their intestinal epithelium?
I was at Wikipedia searching for help for a friend who has auto-immune problems and then wondered....what about our cats?
Is gluten causing them G.I. issues? Intestinal permeability is what I searched for at Wikipedia to show my friend who loves flour, and processed wheat products and suffers so much with her health.
The last sentence of Wiki info on celiac disease states "Eliminating gluten from the diet leads to normalization of intestinal permeability and the autoimmune process shuts off" Celiac disease in cats?
Under MODULATION they say "gliadin ( a glycoprotein in wheat) activates zonulin signaling in all people who eat gluten, irrespective
of the genetic expression of autoimmunity" I see lots of wheat and corn gluten in cat prescription diets. Is this non GMO?
Are there many vets in our club?

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Feline Nutrition site, they talk about leaky gut theory as being a part of feline IBD.
StackPath

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
35 year catdad 35 year catdad , in response to your question about how many Vets belong to this community, as far as I am aware there are none. there are a couple of human doctors who happen to love cats so they belong, or have been in the past, and sometime we have guest Vets who may be on for a "Q & A", but that's about it. I believe there are a couple of Vet Techs though.