Do cats fur get fluffier over the colder months...

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if I am imagining things .. This is going to be Lucy Belle's first winter .. she's turning one next month.
I think her fur has gotten fluffier over the weeks. Could it be because it's already fall heading towards winter?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they do. Plus, Elsa tends to pack on the pounds during the winter, and grow slimmer in the summer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd say she did pack up some pounds already ... spoilt rotten princess .. hahaha...but I love her fluffy fur! She's a short hair but her fur, oh my ... and it is getting even softer now..

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Mine have always grown a thick winter coat. Downside? They shed it all over the house in the spring.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, they do - it's called "winter coats".

If you check out any of the cat registries, most of the shows are in the late autumn and winter months simply because that's when cats are in full coats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats will grow a heavier coat for fall/winter times. Certain breeds will keep the same coat all year round - rexes, oci's, orientals are a few. Sphynx's have no choice in "hair length"

Ling seems to get a little thicker in fall/winter. And she's 100% indoor cat too.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine gets his winter coat and it is a lot thicker and fluffier, lovely. More grooming though as mine is a semi longhair and therefore more hairballs if i don't groom him. Especially when he starts to shed it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you really want to see a dramatic coat change, find pics of a forest cat type ( Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest, Siberian) that lives in a warm climate, Maine Coons I think illustrate it best.

A mature Maine Coon in full winter coat is a sight to behold and can be a very drastic change from their lighter coats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I've heard about the winter coat thing, but I thought only medium to long haired cat have them. It's good to know that even my little DSH gets such fluffy and lush coat. Mmmm.... so so comfty, but when spring comes, I hope I don't have to deal with major shedding!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats always have. My Binks is right now getting fluffy once more. I think it has to do with the amount of sun light she/they are receiving other than actual temp.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine sure do! They also got fluffier as they got older.

I thought how great kitty doesnt shed a but...then she got to be about 1 year old, now i own a furminator