Do cats care about shape of their toys?

catsnotkids

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After many unsuccessful toys, I brought home a small success - Kong catnip badger.

It is so successful I am already thinking I might want to get a backup cause he has never liked anything else so much. Do you suppose it is the actual shape (in this case, the tail is easy to grip)?

emil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you need a toy thats gonna make noise, that way your cat will be interested
and chase it around

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depends upon the cat as to what shape, sound of toy she/he likes. And his/her background (e.g., ever been spooked before by a teaser on a long pole?) Ritz likes DaMouse, not so much because it's in the shape of a mouse, but because she gets to hunt prey and, perhaps, because I am interacting with her. She also likes balls, but only balls that make sounds with a minimum of contact. There are some motion activated balls on the market, but Ritz never could figure out that she had to move them in order for the ball to light up and make a sound.
She does not like most independent type of toy, regardless of its shape, size. Independent means the kind a cat could play with home alone, like the puzzle box, lazy pet kitty swat exerciser, Bergan TurboScratcher Cat Toy, or the cat-n-mouse cat toy.
Best advice, buy a bunch of really different type of toys and see which ones your cat likes.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I bought so many toys for my cat, different shapes, sizes, wands, noise, no noise, catnip, no catnip, etc. The ONLY toy he'd really play with is the Cat Dancer. It's a long wire with rolled cardboard on the ends. You play it like a wand, but it gives a flying bug effect.

I'd suggest looking into the dancer. It really keeps them moving, great exercises. Especially if a cat's an indoor cat.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

I bought so many toys for my cat, different shapes, sizes, wands, noise, no noise, catnip, no catnip, etc. The ONLY toy he'd really play with is the Cat Dancer. It's a long wire with rolled cardboard on the ends. You play it like a wand, but it gives a flying bug effect.

I'd suggest looking into the dancer. It really keeps them moving, great exercises. Especially if a cat's an indoor cat.
I have literally spent thousands on cat toys over the years. The most success I've had are those feathers stuck on a stick. They love those things but they don't last very long in my house. Other than that; They take the dog's toys away from the dogs and hide them. One of their favorite toys is the band off of a gallon of milk. They will chase it for hours but then they try to eat it. I don't suggest doing that unless you are going to supervise

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroMike

One of their favorite toys is the band off of a gallon of milk. They will chase it for hours but then they try to eat it.
Forgot about those milk strips! My cat loves those too! Twist ties too. He doesn't try to eat them, but he hides them in my closet.. and if I shut the door later on, he'd meow until I open the door so he can retrieve it, lol.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just go based on online reviews.

I don't think we'll ever know though what cats find appealing. I have this one small blue and white rattle mouse that I picked up, and Buttercup LOVES it.

I have around twenty other little rattle mice from two different brands, and as far as I can tell they seem near identical. But if you toss five out, she'll always go for the blue and white one and play w/ it forever until she loses it under the couch or behind a closet door.

They also love twisty wire ties, which don't look like any kind of natural prey. So who knows!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH I LOVE cat toys and always buy more everytime I am out at the pet store. My cats love those foil balls, and catnip stuffed animals with the feather tails. I cannot recommend letting your cats play with milk rings or wire ties. I had a cat once that loved those milk rings and then I found out rather quickly he would chew them apart and eat them. The wire ties would make me nervous too. I have baskets of toys and keep some in a ziploc bag stuffed with catnip and put toys in that bag. Then I just rotate them out every few days.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out a long time ago that spending hundreds of dollars on cat toys is pretty much a waste of time, and a drain on the pocketbook. Mine would rather play with things that I already have laying around the house.
Like those milktop rings, or the top off the milk jug itself. Try throwing a dry noodle or dry piece of spaghetti on the floor sometime: they'll entertain themselves for hours with something like that.
They also like batting around a cellophane wrapped piece of candy: I guess they're attracted to the crinkly noise it makes. The only actual cat toys I've ever come across that they actually seem to enjoy is the laser pointer, or Da Bird (the wand with the feather attached to it). Sometimes they'll enjoy playing with balls that have bells inside of them, or the crinkly or sparkle balls.

Their favorite toy of all is those creepy tree roaches that sometimes get into the house.
One of those will keep them happy for hours.
I guess it's because they slide across the floor so nicely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsnotkids

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he loves to play with some of the household items and has Da Bird, laser, Cat dancer. I just love to spoil my cat so always think he needs more.

kattenyajen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Floyd's favorite toy is the little red plush ear he ripped off a dog toy, as well as the sticky tape from new video games (only xbox360 games weirdly enough)

Zoe's favorite toy is a toss up between the lazer pointer and carrying around a plush purple gorilla dog toy.

They also like kinder surprise eggs (with or without coins in them to rattle), anything with feathers, plastic/paper bags, and LOOOVE when a cricket escapes... *eye roll*

Floyd dislikes anything that makes noise, Zoe couldn't care less as long as she can play with it.

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties love toys -- most toys. Favorites are plush small stuffed things (that don't usually stay stuffed for too long) with or without catnip, or anything with feathers. I have wands and they are a hit, but my cats like their regular toy mouse with a long sisal string tied to it better. They can chase the mouse end or the string end. Jingle balls are ok. The boy has a toy I made by stuffing a cut-off leg of a pair of sweatpants with catnip. It's big enough he can wrestle it. One thing I notice the female especially likes are toys with dangly parts, like the mice with pom-pom balls fir feet, attached with a suede string. Something she can tug at, or grab to carry it. They will both retrieve and chase toys.

The male will chase a laser pointer for ages, especially if it hugs the edges of the room and tries to hide under furniture or in shoes. The female looks at him like he's stupid to fall for it. If she can't get her teeth in it, it's no good. But she LOVES crinkly plastic, packing tape, etc. Plastic bags to a lesser degree.

The male loves elastic rubber. He will steal rubber bands (which I try to keep locked away because he WILL eat them) and used to be really bad about stealing my hair bands. I saw a package of colorful loopy hairbands at the store and bought him some -- they are his favorite toys and he can't swallow them.

My cats don't much care for independent toys either. But the love the climbing trees and scratching posts I made them.

It seems to me the materials can attract my cats more than anything else. Shape only matters as to whether it's easily grab-able, carry-able, or can be wrestled with.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

Forgot about those milk strips! My cat loves those too! .
Mine too. Cheapest toy ever (if you are a milk drinker) AND, after we're done with the milk, I rinse the cap and stick it in the track of the window so I can slide it back and forth. Voila...another new toy. I've got a couple of those in one window, so when I push one, it hits the other and they both go sliding from one side to the other.